Author Topic: Rear Sights for 76  (Read 50511 times)

Offline hhughh

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Rear Sights for 76
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2010, 02:01:10 PM »
Grizz,
  Thanks for the welcome.  I am loving all the information offered here, as well as some of the other SI Groups on the forum.  I looked at the Smith sights on the BACO sight, but they only show barrel sights.  I'm looking for a tang sight, like the Axtell offered at TOTW.  Do you know which of the Track offerings will fit the Uberti Centennial?

Thanks again,
Hugh

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2010, 05:58:11 PM »
Grizz,
  Thanks for the welcome.  I am loving all the information offered here, as well as some of the other SI Groups on the forum.  I looked at the Smith sights on the BACO sight, but they only show barrel sights.  I'm looking for a tang sight, like the Axtell offered at TOTW.  Do you know which of the Track offerings will fit the Uberti Centennial?

Thanks again,
Hugh

Actually, any tang sight that will fit the 86 Winchester will fit the 76 in terms of hole spacing.  Uberti uses the same spacing.    Page 7, on the link above, shows a number of sights, varying  from long, mid, and short staff.  RW-WIN 30A is described as being specifically for the 76.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/categories/partDetail.aspx?catId=14&subId=167&styleId=770&partNum=RS-WIN-30-A

I don't own a rifle with one of Axtell's sights, so I can't make a specific recommendation on one.  Others on the board may have first hand knowledge.

I would call them and tell them what your putting it on, so they can provided the correct mounting screws - this is very important!

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline shrapnel

• There is nothing like the original
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Keeping what made the West safe, alive
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2011, 10:27:19 PM »
It is hard to beat the use and function of an original winchester with an original sight...

I never considered myself a failure...I started out at the bottom and happen to like it here!

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 04:50:37 AM »

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2011, 05:11:04 PM »
It is hard to beat the use and function of an original winchester with an original sight...

Indeed it is. :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline Thomas (Tom) Horn aka James Hicks

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS#86684 Wartrace Regulators
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2013, 11:16:36 PM »
I have gone thru the chain on "sights", I have used the marbles peep sight, Marbles Improved Peep Sight, Taylor's & Company DOS Winchester Tang Sight, and a couple of Italian made Tang Sights... had problems with all of the above.  I forked out the money and went with a KELLY SIGHT... best decision I have ever made... they are not cheap, but they are VERY WELL MADE and they are ACCURATE.  I mounted the Mid Range on my '86 for starters and I am so impressed with Jim Kelly's sights I am going to install one on my 45-60. I cannot say enough good things about this sight... instead of forking out money for the above I should have just added a few more dollars and bought Kelly upfront... very accurate and it looks good also. 
"If I killed that kid, it was the best shot I ever made, and the dirtiest trick I ever did."

Offline John Slaughter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2013, 11:16:04 PM »
Thanks Tom,
                  I'm in Australia, into CAS over here which is very popular.   I liked what you referred to with the Kelly Tang sight, and intend fitting one on my Uberti 1876 Centennial in 45.60. any advice on where I can find them over your way ?

I have gone thru the chain on "sights", I have used the marbles peep sight, Marbles Improved Peep Sight, Taylor's & Company DOS Winchester Tang Sight, and a couple of Italian made Tang Sights... had problems with all of the above.  I forked out the money and went with a KELLY SIGHT... best decision I have ever made... they are not cheap, but they are VERY WELL MADE and they are ACCURATE.  I mounted the Mid Range on my '86 for starters and I am so impressed with Jim Kelly's sights I am going to install one on my 45-60. I cannot say enough good things about this sight... instead of forking out money for the above I should have just added a few more dollars and bought Kelly upfront... very accurate and it looks good also. 

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2013, 03:51:50 AM »
John:

Here is jim Kelley's website.  Buffalo arms carries the sights when they can get them.  Cheers.

Mean Bob

http://www.kelleysights.com/
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Thomas (Tom) Horn aka James Hicks

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS#86684 Wartrace Regulators
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2013, 09:38:04 PM »
JSlaughter-

Sorry I have been out of town ... slow to your response..my apology. MBM responded... You cannot buy the Kelley Sights from his website.  Only place I know of to buy the sights is Buffalo Arms. You will have to contact Jim Kelley (see his website for email) and tell him what you have and send him the measurements from center hole to center hole for your '76. He will have to custom make you a sight base. He does not charge extra for this. He will ask you to send him the Long Tang Screw and the small Tang Screw from the upper Tang for duplication (he will return them for you with the completed base) his work/craftsmanship is SUPERIOR and he is a pleasure to business with. For both my '86 and '76 I bought the Silhouette Mid Range Soule Sight, it is very accurate and it looks good on both rifles. Here are some pictures of the sight mounted on my '76 Centennial Rifle (Uberti) 45-60.
"If I killed that kid, it was the best shot I ever made, and the dirtiest trick I ever did."

Offline walkabout

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2014, 01:06:14 PM »
Hi
I would like to fit a better rear sight on my 76 for longer range and accuracy but on the barrel, in place of the original.
Any recommendations?
Also does anybody know what size the rear dovetail is on a uberti 76?

Thanks

Offline Gabriel Law

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2014, 12:20:12 AM »
To test my new Uberti 76 Winchester for accuracy, I needed something better than the iron sights that came with it.  So I bought a set of Marbles Improved tang sights with two staff(s) and a bunch of apertures.  I had already bought a low profile globe front sight from Montana Vintage Arms, and together, the new sights made a dramatic improvement in the groups I was getting.

But I have been spoiled and corrupted by the repeatability of the MVA Soule sight I have on my '74 Sharps Business rifle.  So I have replaced the Marbles tang sight with a Soule Midrange tang sight and a Hadley disc, all from MVA.  The investment is significant, but so is the pleasure of using the rifle...money well spent.  

Here's some pics...

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2014, 07:56:25 AM »
So, a blank in the normal rear sight spot? How does the tang sight effect your gripping the buttstock? Isnt it in the way? I had a couple on different 94's and thought they were really in the way of getting a good hold.
King Medallion

Offline Gabriel Law

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2014, 10:58:22 AM »
I was at the range with the new tang sight the other day, and fired 73 rounds.  I didn't even notice the presence of the tang sight on the grip.  I was shooting from the bench.  Offhand should be even better, as far as comfort is concerned.  The adjustable aperture in the Hadley eyecup is such a benefit.  I was able to open and close the opening to get a perfect sight picture for a variety of targets.

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2014, 12:59:38 PM »
 ;D I've got to do a public 'thank you' to Gabriel Law- he recommended the MVA sight and she sure shoots pretty.  I'll make a plug for the folks @ MVA.  Think I might get one for my Sharps

Offline Roosterman

• Top Active Citizen
    • Muzzleloading guns
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2015, 06:15:56 PM »
To test my new Uberti 76 Winchester for accuracy, I needed something better than the iron sights that came with it.  So I bought a set of Marbles Improved tang sights with two staff(s) and a bunch of apertures.  I had already bought a low profile globe front sight from Montana Vintage Arms, and together, the new sights made a dramatic improvement in the groups I was getting.

But I have been spoiled and corrupted by the repeatability of the MVA Soule sight I have on my '74 Sharps Business rifle.  So I have replaced the Marbles tang sight with a Soule Midrange tang sight and a Hadley disc, all from MVA.  The investment is significant, but so is the pleasure of using the rifle...money well spent.  

Here's some pics...

MMMMM, sight envy... 8) I switched t a marbles tang sight and was amazed at how much better I shoot with it over the factory sight.....well I guess I wasn't amazed as the rear factory sight sucks for old eyes. But, I shoot groups now instead of shot gun patterns. I already have a long range buffalo sight with a Hadley disk from MVA that I used to have on a sharps I sold, I'll have to look into a base for the '76 . 8)
www.fowlingguns.com
Known to run with scissors from time to time
Citadel of Sin Social Club

Offline DTS

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2015, 03:13:15 PM »
I have ordered this sight for mine

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/sights/rear-sights/m-95-long-range-sight-prod18599.aspx

- it is on back order of course. Note the ball detent stops between the 100 marks on the sights. One merely sights in at various ranges and records the settings. With 25, 50 and 75 yard detents between the hundred marks, this sight should work quite well for smacking large steel plates at rendezvous. I do like the open ladder sights. Yes- apertures are more accurate, but so much slower.

DTS

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2015, 07:49:52 AM »
The rear sight is not the issue for me, I need a better front sight. I've had a Lyman and a Marbles tang sight on a few different 94's, and never cared for them. I always thought they were in the way of my right hand grip.
King Medallion

Offline DTS

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2015, 02:47:22 PM »
I agree, KM, but for pin-point accuracy, they are quite necessary for me, at least. I've always done well with apertures - especially on modern match rifles and my Sharps. One learns to put up with the placement. I had to make a 48" rod to clean the Sharps due to the sight not folding down far enough OH well, if it's accuracy you want, those are needed - for some competitions, that is.
For hunting, Express sights with a small front bead are best. The ladder sight is the best of both worlds, imho. Longer range than the normal available 3 leaf express sights, and almost as fast.

Do NOT believe anyone who says Express Sights are not accurate.
for example:
This  is the rifle:

These are the sights.

The trouble is, with fixed open sights, even sight leaves as on this ML, usually only one load suites them.
DTS

Offline wymanwinn

• Citizen
  • Frontier Cartridge Black Powder Shooter
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2015, 01:45:57 PM »
i found and ordered this...

http://www.buffaloarms.com/winchester-reproduction_rear_sight_it-1170333.aspx?TERM=wrrs

plenty of stock, so they say...:)

Happy New Year!!!
Solvang Shootist
SASS 60905 Life-Patron
NRA Life

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2017, 07:13:11 PM »
I believe my rear sight is an 1895 Smith Enterprises sight.  I love it on my Uberti .45-60.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com