Poll

Few replica rifles 'Out of the Box' do not have any problems with the rifle.  What problems have you had with your rifle, if any?

Cartridge Lip Missing on Bolt Base
8 (4.8%)
Firing Pin Hole Not Cut Correctly
6 (3.6%)
Carrier Block Droops Below Receiver
9 (5.4%)
Excess Head Space
12 (7.2%)
Spent Case Does Not Eject from Receiver
5 (3%)
Magazine Ring Doesn't Fit Flush into Dovetail Cut
7 (4.2%)
Magazine Plug Lip Doesn't Fit Flush into Barrel Cut
9 (5.4%)
I had to Send the Rifle Back for Replacement
14 (8.4%)
Other Problem(s)
37 (22.3%)
My Rifle is Slick as a Whistle
59 (35.5%)

Total Members Voted: 118

Author Topic: Let's Start a List: Chaparral and Uberti Production Problems  (Read 178440 times)

Offline TCRken

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Let's Start a List: Chaparral and Uberti Production Problems
« Reply #120 on: August 24, 2009, 06:11:35 PM »
Gents

Thanks for the response.   

Re: 44WCF, yep, I've got a early '94 Marlin carbine in 44WCF and have carried it for deer.   It's light and short and fun to shoot with a shotgun butt instead of the CB.   Some younger hunters ask why I use these old obsolete calibers.   I guess I've gotten past the trophy want when I was young and enjoy the challenge of getting a bit closer and using the old ones.  Only problem is my eyes are making it a bit harder with the open sights.  One advantage of the Marlin's is I can mount a scope, but before anyone gets excited on ruining a collectable it's only on the newer ones where I've had them rebarreled.

re: west.  Yep, Colorado.

As for why a '76, I guess it goes back to when I was a young guy with a growing family and saw one in the rack for more than I made in a month.   Always wanted one (never had the $$ for an original).  After I got my '86 light weight in 33 WCF I thought I was done adding to my collection of "wants" when my bride made the offer. 

re: TCR, it's a monoblock hammerless break action single shot that Thompson Center made in the 80's & up to the fire in '91 when the tooling machinery was lost in the fire.  The '83 had a set triger, the '87 was a single trigger.  The barrel just lifted off the hinge pin as an break actionshotgun does. It was available in many calibers and gauges and the custom shop would chamber most anything.  I forget when they made the "magnum" monoblock when you could get a 7MM Rem Mag & such.   I never wanted a magnum as the rifle was light and it would have been more pain than fun.  Do a google search and you can see info on them.   

Offline J23

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #121 on: October 15, 2009, 08:31:53 PM »
I just picked up an 1876 Chappy from CDNN, 50-95wcf, 26" barrel.  Outwardly, I am pleased with it..   I havent had the chance to take it to the range quite yet..  Ive only recently obtained a set of RCBS dies, brass (Jamison...which seems outwardly to be of high quality;correct headstamped!,) and a 515139 Lyman mold... 

The only problems I have seen yet regarding my Chappy is that no one seems to have been able to give you any solid information on specs... specificallly, I ordered a Marbles tang...   the rear tang screw wasnt even close... I took the orginial to a machine shop who told me that it was 12-28 pitch...    Marbles makes such a screw (abit too long...) for the 1894 Winchester Legacy, and I had to grind several thousandths off to make it work.   Prior to obtaining the screw, I attempted to contact Chapparal, in Italy, as they have no US service reps... and the attempt was less than successful.   

Aside from the problems with the tang sight install (which ended up well...though with the marbles base, there is no place for my thumb!) the trigger is an abomination..   not only do you have the squeeze the lever so hard to activate the lever safety that your knuckles are white, the trigger which has no overtravel or take up (a good thing...) has about a 15 pound pull, no exagguration!  Its horrible. 

The other day I casted up about 50 bullets, I am still unsure as to what sizing die to pick up yet..  I am thinking .512, but I am not sure.  I am going to try a load recommended by Chuck 100yd on here and on the Castboolits forum to which I belong:  14g Trailboss under the above mentioned boolit.  Ill let everyone know how she shoots when I take her out.. 

Offline Roundsworth

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #122 on: December 12, 2009, 01:13:22 PM »
I bought my 1876 from Cimarron, via Buffalo Arms, a few months ago. It is a standard model in 45-60. The internal components required a little bit of stoning, as did the inside of the receiver itself. I made some cartridges using information in the latest Lyman handbook. The Jamison brass chambered without a hitch. The RCBS Legacy dies are a real bargain for a quality set.  She is a tack driver, for sure! The underside of the barrel is channeled for the magazine tube. I understand that there are some rifles out there without this feature. The wood is very nice with a flawless finish and fitment to the receiver. Aside from the parts roughness, I have no complaints. The rear sight is quite functional, but there is a bit too much daylight on each side of the front sight when looking for a 'proper sight picture'. My eyes really like tang sights, so I will be getting one from Buffalo Arms soon. They have a Riflesmith sight made for the Uberti 1876. Cheers!
GMC(SW) - USN, Retired

Advertising

« Reply #123 on: Today at 10:39:36 AM »

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1637
« Reply #123 on: January 07, 2010, 09:48:31 PM »
   Greetings, All!

Well, for starters, my "Chapp. / Tri-Star" 1876 26"Bbl. in .50-95-300 wouldn't feed from the magazine. Period. I sent it back, and they replaced the Breech Bolt, the Loading Gate, and another part that I do not recall. It cycles / feeds beautifully with several of the .50 bullets that I cast for.
   The folks were very polite, communication was great, and all that I need to do is fireform some .348 WCF brass, and touch off a handful of BP rounds loaded with Bertram brass (All that I could find at the time...) to warm things up.
   Oh... This problem I failed to mention to them: the Rear Sight Dovetail is cut slightly cock-eyed. The Factory Sight is going away, to be replaced with a Buffalo Arms Buckhorn Rear Sight, after my 'smith "straightens" the dovetail cut in the barrel. I'm not too bent about the Rear Sight situation, as I have another U.S. made rifle with the same problem, just not acute enough to do anything about.

Be Well, All!

M.T.Marfield

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #124 on: May 13, 2010, 09:18:39 AM »
I just received my Chaparral Winchester 1866 yellow boy in .357 mag, 24.25" bbl from Marstar. The fit and finish is excellent, the indentations on the primers are deep and centered.  I was shooting .357 cases with 158 gr LRN....worked everytime.  .38 spl must exceed 1.49" OAL.  The action was a little stiff at first however, it has slicked out after about 20 rds.  Great gun right out of the box.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: May 13, 2010, 08:02:22 PM »
I just received my Chaparral Winchester 1866 yellow boy in .357 mag, 24.25" bbl from Marstar. The fit and finish is excellent, the indentations on the primers are deep and centered.  I was shooting .357 cases with 158 gr LRN....worked everytime.  .38 spl must exceed 1.49" OAL.  The action was a little stiff at first however, it has slicked out after about 20 rds.  Great gun right out of the box.

Thanks for the post on your Chappie 1866.  Does the rifle have a steel receiver with brass plating, or is it brass like the Uberti?  Got a pic? ;D

GA
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline Curly Red Ryder

• Active citizen
  • CAS-France life member #64 SASS life 83495
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: July 28, 2010, 12:17:22 PM »
Main spring too weak, had it replaced and now works fine!
Successful me! No I begin!

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: July 29, 2010, 12:16:33 AM »
Main spring too weak, had it replaced and now works fine!

Uberti or Chappie? :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
GAF

Offline RON

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: July 29, 2010, 07:57:59 PM »
I have a Chaparral in 45/75. I took it completely apart when I got it. It was very clean inside, and while not a good as my original it was really very nice. It shoots as well or better than the original, and after using emery cloth and buffing the links and bolt it is very slick. I hate the rear site. The front site was loose so I re soldered it and it is fine now. I purchased the tang rear site put it on and took it off. I will replace the rear site, and use the tang site on something else or sell it. I used the recommendations by OKDEE. Good fit just not for me. I use H4831 powder 46-50 grains and 350 grain bullet. I read about the guy who wondered what size of swaging die for 50-95. I don't size. Just mold and shoot. The rifle swages better than I do.  My lead is a little hard, but groups about 4-5 inches at 100 yards. I use Lee tumble lube, alox. Works good. I wish the wood was better and the rear site was better, but my original has a Marbles rear buckhorn site and it worked for GrandPa.
I like my Chaparrel. With better wood it would be a great rifle. Please remember that when you read about things that are wrong, people who love the rifle rarely write letters, people who have problems usually write several.

44colt

« Reply #129 on: August 06, 2011, 01:31:56 PM »
I have had four Uberti lever action Rifles and one pump action Lightning by ASM. Both my 1866s the 1873 and my Henry (All from Uberti)were smooth and function well out of the box. The AMS Colt Lightning in 38Spl worked good if I didn't pump it fast. I was faster than the action it seemed and it stove piped the rounds. I sold it to a fellow who had some work done and it worked fine for him he said but he sold it also. I want a Chaparral 1876 in 45-60 but I have been scared off of it by all the problems I read about but the price is tempting at under $700.00 now.

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: August 06, 2011, 04:43:08 PM »
  I want a Chaparral 1876 in 45-60 but I have been scared off of it by all the problems I read about but the price is tempting at under $700.00 now.

The bitterness of a bargain remains longer than the sweetness. ;)  Be advised that there are NO parts on this side of the pond for the Chappie.

GAF

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #131 on: August 06, 2011, 05:08:04 PM »
Grizzly
I think Marstar out of Canada is importing them now ??? Do you have any information on this ?

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: August 06, 2011, 07:26:30 PM »
Grizzly
I think Marstar out of Canada is importing them now ??? Do you have any http://www.marstar.ca/gf-Chaparral/index.shtm on this ?

Did a search and came up with this:  http://www.marstar.ca/gf-Chaparral/index.shtm

It appears that Chaparral is making a number is arms, Including an blued, iron frame 1866 which "is a faithful replica of the early production 1866 which featured an iron receiver and as a result was blued...." :o

If I had a Chappie, I think I would give these folks a call and see it they are stocking parts.  That would be good news for lots of folks!  ;D
GAF

Offline Roosterman

• Top Active Citizen
    • Muzzleloading guns
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #133 on: November 06, 2011, 07:43:36 PM »
I'm in late on this, but it's relevant none the less. My Uberti has a dead soft uppper trigger which wore rapidly and failed causing the hammer to fall on cocking, always an exciting situation.  I have had this gun for probably 3 years and only had a couple sesions with it.....as it broke down it got put away  for a while. I bought a new upper trigger from VTI and of coarse lost it somewhere in our move last year. I plan on casenit'ing the existing too soft upper trigger and hope it works.
www.fowlingguns.com
Known to run with scissors from time to time
Citadel of Sin Social Club

Offline Will Penny

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: April 27, 2012, 09:31:34 PM »
I'm in late on this, but it's relevant none the less. My Uberti has a dead soft uppper trigger which wore rapidly and failed causing the hammer to fall on cocking, always an exciting situation.  I have had this gun for probably 3 years and only had a couple sesions with it.....as it broke down it got put away  for a while. I bought a new upper trigger from VTI and of coarse lost it somewhere in our move last year. I plan on casenit'ing the existing too soft upper trigger and hope it works.

it worked ;D
Will Penny

Noli Illegitimi Carborundum
Admit Nothing, deny everything

Offline Thomas (Tom) Horn aka James Hicks

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS#86684 Wartrace Regulators
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: June 14, 2012, 12:24:41 AM »
I have both the Uberti Centennial 1876 in 45-60 and a Chaparral 1876 also in 45-60. Both of these rifles are in the 28" barrel configuration. As they come ROB there is no comparison... the Uberti is light years ahead of the Chaparral as far as looks and craftmanship. But there is a LARGE price difference also, you get what you pay for. As far as the shooting... BOTH are the same, the Chaparral shoots just as good as the Uberti. When you disassemble these two rifles and look at the way they are made... then you see the BIG DIFFERENCE, kinda like drinking... some like scotch, some like Jack. Laugh The company that made the Chaparral it looks like they took shortcuts, whereas Uberti did not. I tried to see if parts were interchangable Uberti to Chaparral. The trigger parts seem to interchange but the other parts i.e., brass elevator, firing pin extension, bolt, hammer, lever, elevator follower arm would not interchange. The Uberti brass elevator will fit in the opening but will not work due to the way Uberti designed it vs the way Chaparral designed theirs. The Elevator Spring and the Lever Spring will work, at least it does in mine. My Chaparral looks as good as my Uberti NOW... but that is AFTER I refinished the wood stocks and forearm stock. ROB the Chaparral when levered sounded like an army tank running and it was HARD to lever and the trigger pull was way over 9 lbs. After much work on the action (a lot of sanding to weaken the springs, and sanding the cam on the lever, trigger spring had to remove a lot of metal to get the trigger pull down to a 2 lb pull) that solved the problem. Works great now. I did not have to do that to the Uberti, it was slick ROB. My opine: You get what you pay for. Do not expect the Chaparral's to look like the Uberti's when buying... there is about a $1000 dollar difference, depending on where you buy it. But looks is only skin deep. Kinda like lookin at a Rossi '92 vs a Uberti '73.
"If I killed that kid, it was the best shot I ever made, and the dirtiest trick I ever did."

Offline hammer1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: July 31, 2012, 08:06:45 PM »
I have a 28 in. 45-60 Uberti, after now about 200 rounds, I have no complaints. It seems to have gotten smoother after shooting, love it enough that I got it a little brother. A 1873 sporting in 45 colt, 24 1/4 in. barrel. I have tang sights on the way for both, Im not a competitor, nor do I play one on T.V. Just developed a new found appreciation, I was into the long range and ultra long range shooting gang for a long time.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: September 04, 2013, 12:53:25 PM »
MarStar has an inventory of parts in Canada.

The bitterness of a bargain remains longer than the sweetness. ;)  Be advised that there are NO parts on this side of the pond for the Chappie.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Palatine Tom

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: January 16, 2015, 04:14:24 AM »
Greetings folks, :)

I hope it is not to late to join into this very informative thread.

This week i bought a unfired Chaparral 1876 28inch in 45-60, from a German in Germany.

Barrel markings are: "Chaparral Charter 2000 Shelton C.T.  IT DE 10"  Serial no. W7606XX

After reading this thread i am in total panic, but after inspecting my 1876 i am much more relaxed ::)

1. Muzzle crown is absolutely sharp edged instaead of a phase, but should be ok
2. Front sight nicely made and correct alligned, however i changed to a Buffalo Beach Combination front side, which fits in the slot perfectly
3. Tube latch end does not fit in the barrel slot and the tube ring are loose in the barrel like many other Chappies
4. I use shortened starline 45-70 brass and i can not locate a head space issue so far.
5. Rear sight is realy junk and i have this air gap in the slot as well. I replaced the junk with a Lyman 16B folding leaf rear sight which fits perfectly.
6. The lever action is going acceptable for me, maybe i will polish the internal parts a bit.
7. I installed a Lyman no 2 tang peep sight for winchester and Browning replicas 1886 with no problems. It is true i have to find a new place for my thumb  :-\
8. Wood appearance and fitting is not bad at all

9. Saturday is show time with 320grain lead bullet, BP swiss 2 and a thin card wad between, minimal compressed  on 100 yards :D :D

Some first pictures:

If you like i keep you informed about my progress.

Mine has a pretty low serial no. concerning your experience it should be crap at all but it isnt...

regards from Bavaria

Tom
Do unto others as they would
do unto you, but do it first." Amen

Offline Gabriel Law

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: January 17, 2015, 12:18:13 PM »
I bought my Uberti Centennial 1976 in December 2013, and since then have fired over 500 rounds through it.  My rifle functions flawlessly though I took Tom Horn's advice and replaced the lever safety spring, lightened the trigger spring, and the mainspring.
But it does have an issue - and a serious one at that...the barrel leads up destroying accuracy after only a few shots.  I have gone through a regime of polishing the bore, casting bullets soft, medium, and hard, lubed with several mixtures settling on SPG, shooting a variety of powders including Swiss 1 1/2 Fg.  When I clean the rifle, I feel a 'loose' spot about 8" up from the breech, and I suspect I'm getting gas cutting which leaves lead in my bore.
My current attempt to remedy this is to fire lap the bore using Wheeler Engineering compounds: 220, 320, and 600 griit.  At the velocities this rifle likes (around 1200 fps), I don't think I should be getting any lead, yet here we are.
I'll let you know how I make out.  Weather's mild enough to shoot the rifle tomorrow...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com