Author Topic: EMF Pietta Dance. C'mon EMF  (Read 2123 times)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: EMF Pietta Dance. C'mon EMF
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2023, 08:47:55 AM »

:) Hummmmmmm  ;)

Some interesting.  I tried R & D cylinders in my Dance, they were a "No-Go."  As far as I know, the Kirst 45 ACP cylinder will not work with 45 Auto Rim.  I could be wrong.  Gonna have to slide back inna shop today and check the fit of my Kirst Konverters.

I DO run my Kirst 45 ACP cylinders with 45 ACP as well as Cowboy 45 Special and both run a Treat.  Stay Tuna

Hy ya Mike!!

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2023, 09:36:49 AM »
Hey CM!
 I believe you're right about the Auto Rims. 
Since my "awakening" with the acp's (as well as talks with Walt) my mission has been to use it as the perfect vehicle to test the open-top platform.  I've been shooting my Dragoons with 45C+p loads.  Ive  already  reported  that the belt pistols are good with +p's also.
 So, testing continues  will  update soon.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2023, 11:56:54 AM »

:) Hey Rube & ALL  ;)

So I trot'd my sorry butt down to the shop.  Working on a project anyway.  Pull'd out one of my Dance & Bros. by Pietta, and one of my 1851 .44 Conversions (Yea, I know, Never Never), using the Kirst Konverter.

Yes.  the Kirst Konverter for .45 will fit the Dance frame, just barely.  Stuck the Barrel assembly from the '51 conversion on and fit was fine as well, with the Kirst.  However, the cylinder would NOT lock up.  The Pietta bolt would have to be altered to come up farther thru the frame window to reach the Kirst cylinder, which would also require alteration of the Hand, or reset side of the Bolt to get the bolt to "lock-Up."  If you have "other" Pietta .44 Cap Guns, one can simply swap for an OEM Pietta barrel assembly.  If you don't have a barrel assembly laying around, you will have to alter the breach end of the Dance barrel, making it a "one-way" conversion.

An additional note.  I know I keep harping on this, but . . . PAY ATTENTION.  When using a Kirst Konverter, the second you cut the cartridge channel in the Recoil Shield, you have MANUFACTURED A FIREARM.  That frame will FOREVER be a Firearm, no if, ands, or butts.  You CANNOT transfer it in any way without going thru an FFL for registration and paying for the Tax Stamp.  If you try and transfer it without that step, you have Manufactured a Firearm without a license.  BATFE does not have a sense of humor and do not take prisoners. DO NOT POKE that Bear.  Oh, It's yours forever without the Stamp.  Should you expire, your survivors have no choice but to have that frame DESTROYED!!  There is NO GETAROUND.

Yes Auntie June, People are Still Hazardous to Yer Health

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 02:23:35 AM »

Offline Cap'n Redneck

• Commd'g Co. D, Frontier Batt'n, Texas Rangers.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cap'n Redneck SWS #163.
  • GAF #: 273
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2023, 12:19:45 PM »
Y'all seem to be forgetting there's a cartridge inbetween the .45 Colt and the .45 ACP/.455 Webley/.45 Cowboy Special: namely the .45 S&W Schofield.

I'd shorten a .45 Colt/.45 Schofield conversion cylinder and load it with .45 Schofield cartridges. 
That way I could still use the percussion cylinder if need be.

The timing & lock-up problems is entirely another rabbithole...
"As long as there's lead in the air, there's still hope..."
Frontiersman & Frontiersman Gunfighter: The only two categories where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s.

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 691
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2023, 07:31:01 AM »
All points well taken by all but wouldn't the Kirst Converter made for the Pietta Dance with the 120 thousands taken off either the cylinder or the forcing cone work best with the bolt and hands? Seems like other than the length thing that would be the best way to convert a Dance.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2023, 09:41:42 AM »
 :) Rube  ;)

Unfortunately, NO.  While the Kirst cylinder will rotate with the Kirst Two Step hand, the bolt does NOT extend far enough into the cylinder slots to achieve "lock-Up."  One would need to have TWO Hands/Bolts per gun.  One set of Hand/Bolt for the Kirst Konverter and one set for the OEM percussion cylinder.  The R & D cylinder will operate correctly with the OEM hand/bolt although the cylinder may not quite "Carry-up" for lock-up when cycling the action slowly.

PS:   :) Cap'n Redneck  ;)

Ah shoot.  Correct.  I have ignored the 45 Schofield in a shortened cylinder.  I may have to compare the Schofield round to the OEM Dance cylinder figuring for length, but that round just might be an option for a "short" cylinder.

PSS:   :) Rube  ;)  I just read your last a little more carefully.  There is NO Kirst made for the Dance.  It's just a Jam-n-Fudge 1860 Konverter.  Just happens to "sort" of fit the Dance.  We are actually talking about a well equipped home machine shop (A Mill), A good friend with a home machine shop, Or a well equipped reputable Machinist and you have deep pockets. 

We have "best way" vs "easiest way."  Best way is to mill the cylinder face back on a Kirst Konverter which may well be in the "short cartridge" realm.  Easiest way is to drop in a Kirst Konverter, take a nice new sharp file to the back of the barrel or just replace the barrel.  Fit new Hand and Bolt.  There may be another Pietta with a round barrel but I don't remember (memory of a Gnat).  If you happen to possess a nice lathe, you could mill your own replacement Dance barrel from a .44 '51 Pietta.

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2023, 01:14:57 PM »
Well, I got the Dance out this weekend and put a few cylinders through it. I have to say, overall I am pleased but the outing was not without aggravation.

First off, I have been dealing with a batch of CCI caps that appear to be out of spec. I had to deal with this the last time I took my 51 Navy out also. The caps that I always used on the 51 Navy would not fit. I pulled out an older can of CCI number 11 caps and they fit. The newer can would not. Also tried number 10 CCI which was a no go. I tried a batch of Remington 11s and they were loose. I was able to make one can of 11s fit but I had to pinch them some just to get them to stay on while loading and not fall off. But...... while shooting they were not tight enough to stay on and I kept loosing caps when firing.

That was pretty aggravating.

Now, I expect the cap and ball guns to shoot high but this one shoots darn near 2 feet high at about 15 feet.

Still, it was fun to shoot and I enjoyed shooting it. Always fun to make smoke.

Here are a couple photos. One loaded up and ready to go.

The other three are stills from a video that show a cap coming off while shooting one of the other chambers.

"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2023, 02:19:54 PM »
Great shots of the falling cap!  I can certainly understand the aggravation when you have something dialed in and then something out of your control changes.  People that run cap guns always have my respect (except Rugers - just don't like 'em  :) ).  I simply don't have the patience. 

What is the longest range you can shoot?  That Dance might be POA at 100 yards!  :D

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2023, 03:54:00 PM »
Great shots of the falling cap!  I can certainly understand the aggravation when you have something dialed in and then something out of your control changes.  People that run cap guns always have my respect (except Rugers - just don't like 'em  :) ).  I simply don't have the patience. 

What is the longest range you can shoot?  That Dance might be POA at 100 yards!  :D

Thanks. They were stills from a video. I have actually heard somewhere that the cap and ball guns are set up for 100 yards. Not sure why I would want to shoot one 100 yards unless I was hunting with it and even then I would not want to take a hundred yard shot on an animal with a cap and ball gun. That would prob. exceed my skill level.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2023, 08:06:52 PM »
Ahhhhhhhhhh !!!!
  Sounds like the perfect candidate for conversion!!!! ( no cap issues!!!)   ;)

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2023, 07:57:26 AM »
Ahhhhhhhhhh !!!!
  Sounds like the perfect candidate for conversion!!!! ( no cap issues!!!)   ;)

Mike

I was already thinking about that even before the caps fell off.  ;D

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2023, 08:30:14 AM »

:) Hey Rube!!  :D

Nother suggestion.  I'm not a fan or OEM nipples.  I would suggest a set of SlixShot nipples for your Dance.  Better cap fit and better overall ignition.  Although, I am also not a fan of CCI Caps.  Most of us Cap Gunners have a preference for Remington #10s. 

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2023, 12:18:17 PM »
:) Hey Rube!!  :D

Nother suggestion.  I'm not a fan or OEM nipples.  I would suggest a set of SlixShot nipples for your Dance.  Better cap fit and better overall ignition.  Although, I am also not a fan of CCI Caps.  Most of us Cap Gunners have a preference for Remington #10s.

They are already on order. I just couldn't waif for em to get get here.  ;D

I wish I had a pile of Remington #10s. Once I ran out I had to get what I could find and at that time I found a bunch of CCI 10s and 11s.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2023, 10:45:58 AM »
Rube,
I have a Dance that I received last year. I plan on converting it probably next year with a '60 Kirst cylinder.  The plan is to shorten the forcing cone area and make it a dedicated cartridge gun.

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2023, 12:31:09 PM »
Rube,
I have a Dance that I received last year. I plan on converting it probably next year with a '60 Kirst cylinder.  The plan is to shorten the forcing cone area and make it a dedicated cartridge gun.

Nice. I will prob. end up doing the same thing.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2023, 09:22:49 PM »
FWIW: EMF having a fathers day sale on BP revolvers, including the Dance. 
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com