Author Topic: Got an original Winchester 1876 - share pics!  (Read 220933 times)

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Got an original Winchester 1876 - share pics!
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2009, 11:13:10 AM »
I have no idea how it was found or when, but it must not have laid out too long as the gun isn't rust pitted.  There is no indication that it was recoverd by the Mounties either, because it's serial number (23911) was never entered back into service.  However, after it turned up, it is obvious that it was hard used.  Both metal and wood show years of hard use on horseback and I'm sure this took place after the carbine was recovered.   As part of the deal on these guns, I got a massive collection of Winchester, reloading tools, bullet molds and boxed ammo, all in 1876 Winchester calibers, nothing else.  I will end up selling off most of them, but I'm keeping the few items I needed to complete my collection.  I now have all the different models of molds and tools for all four of the calibers including .50 Express.  Included in this group was an 1894 model tool, mold w/casting fixture for express bullet, powder dipper and decapping pin, all in .50-95 Express and all new in the original box.  I'll try to post some pics later this week.

Adios,
Buck   

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2009, 02:02:03 PM »
Thanks for the follow-up, Buck. :)  Looking forward to seeing some pics of your new acquisitions.  ;D
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline Bohica

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2009, 11:00:34 AM »
The missing carbine is a real find and the photos are very impressive. On a side note the LOF stamp on some of the weapons redistributed from the Mounted Police stands for Legion of Frontiersmen ( rather than Legion of the Frontier) an organization that still exists today although there are many groups claiming it's history. The original is now known as Countess Mountbatten's Own Legion of Frontiersmen. There is more info at  http://www.frontiersmenhistorian.info/ 
Dean

Advertising

« Reply #83 on: Today at 05:37:18 PM »

1988RRC

« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2009, 05:04:05 PM »
photos as promised earlier...i have finished disassemble, cleaning, replacing missing parts & reassembly;
.45-60.

The manufacturer's data for Model 1876, serial number 22560, as extracted from the original
Winchester records housed in the museum, are as follows:
Type: Rifle
Barrel Type: Octagon
Barrel Length: 26 inches
Trigger: Set
Checkered stock
Casehardened
Received in warehouse on March 21, 1882
Shipped from warehouse on April 20, 1882, Order number 31450

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2009, 10:37:56 AM »
That looks really nice.  It looks like you took that old "refinish" off the wood.  Boy that made a big difference.  Congrats.  You did a fine job all the way around.

Adios,
Buck

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2009, 01:08:20 PM »
I have no idea how it was found or when, but it must not have laid out too long as the gun isn't rust pitted.  There is no indication that it was recoverd by the Mounties either, because it's serial number (23911) was never entered back into service.  However, after it turned up, it is obvious that it was hard used.  Both metal and wood show years of hard use on horseback and I'm sure this took place after the carbine was recovered.   As part of the deal on these guns, I got a massive collection of Winchester, reloading tools, bullet molds and boxed ammo, all in 1876 Winchester calibers, nothing else.  I will end up selling off most of them, but I'm keeping the few items I needed to complete my collection.  I now have all the different models of molds and tools for all four of the calibers including .50 Express.  Included in this group was an 1894 model tool, mold w/casting fixture for express bullet, powder dipper and decapping pin, all in .50-95 Express and all new in the original box.  I'll try to post some pics later this week.

Adios,
Buck   
Buck,
   I'm a Christian and I know I'm not to be envious or covet things, but you're making me struggle a bit!  Sounds pretty cool!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline TCRken

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2009, 10:51:25 PM »
Griz

There is so much good information in your description and photo's.  Is it condensed anywhere as a PDF download?  I'd like to print it off and put it in my "how to" notes.  Really helpful and done well.

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: September 04, 2009, 06:05:01 PM »
Griz

There is so much good information in your description and photo's.  Is it condensed anywhere as a PDF download?  I'd like to print it off and put it in my "how to" notes.  Really helpful and done well.

Sent you a PM. :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
GAF

Offline Gold Canyon Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2009, 08:33:13 PM »
A good friend, a retired Mountie, just purchased an original 1876 in 45-75 caliber.  He got it from the historian for the Mounties in Canada that had researched the gun extensively.  The friend got all the paper work showing the individual Mountie the gun was assigned to for many years starting when it was first delivered to the government on for several decades of use.  It was one of 500 purchased by the Canadian government from Winchester.  It has the wood forearm that goes all the way to the end of the barrel.  It is in excellent shape with no rust and a very small amount of pitting in the barrel.  My friend will be contacting the Cody Museum for more information.  The gun exterior is excellent with no rust and the wood is very good, a bit dry but no cracks.   His question is what is it worth and what should it be insured for?

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: October 24, 2009, 03:50:09 PM »
Depending on which book you read, there were around 1,510 model 1876 Winchester carbines purchased by the NWMP between 1878 and 1885.  Most were ordered through I. G. Baker in Fort Benton, Montana.   Although all of these guns are listed by serial number in the Winchester warehouse ledgers, only 150 are actually mentioned as NWMP purchases.  This is very confusing to most people, but the fact remains that all Mountie orders are well documented and again, the number of guns is around 1,510.  Mountie carbines vary considerably in value.  Just like any other antique firearm, condition is everything.  Within the past year, I sold seven NWMP carbines.  None of these guns had much original blued finish, but they were tight mechanically, had good bores and very nice wood.  All of these guns had factory letters and in addition, four of them had NWMP paper work.  These guns all sold in the high four digit range.  I still have one in my collection that I purchased from a friend in Sandpoint, Idaho many years ago.  This one was shipped in April of 1885 and was last recorded in service at Ft. Saskatchewan in December of 1894.  This is a very high condition gun with much of it's original bright blue, fantastic wood and wonderful NWMP markings.  The gun is mechanically as new and has a perfect bore.   Hope this has been of some interest.

Adios,
Buck

Offline wrm

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #90 on: November 05, 2009, 12:30:40 PM »
Hi all

Found this forum via a search for 45-75... figure I should introduce myself. Collector, in South Africa. Fields of Interest (yea, we need those, to be accredited collectors, to get licences, to be able to have guns... takes between a year and two years, on average, to get a licence) are leverguns and Spanish handguns, mostly.

I have a '76 almost identical to this one. Same sight at 1988RRC's gun. Not RCMP though, but that makes sense, being from this side of the world. Also not in quite as good a nick. #43349, dates it to 1884 (sez Madiz and Pirkle).

Just received brass from Jamison (should that be, gold from Jamison?) and dies from CH4D. Still need to find bullets, .452 handgun bullets are a very loose fit in the barrel.

I also have a matching '73, dates to 1883 I think, in 32-20. Needs a magazine and all the bits tho.

W

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: November 05, 2009, 10:24:31 PM »
Welcome to the fire, WRM! :)  It always surprises me to learn not only how many of the Model 1876 are still around, but how they are found all over the world.

The Jamison Brass should work well in your SRC.   Some books list the bore size as .452, but it's not so!  They just rattle down the bore!  Every original I have examined, or heard of, has a bore size of .457.  The correct bullet for your SRC would be a 350 grain sized .458.
 :)
GA

GAF

Offline shrapnel

• There is nothing like the original
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Keeping what made the West safe, alive
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #92 on: November 11, 2009, 12:18:57 AM »
These guns are nothing if they aren't used for what they were designed. I take mine out to shoot and hunt. Last week hunting deer, shot with an original with 90% original blue and finish in 45-75.

Poor deer...

Antelope with a 45-60 original condition around 80-85%...

Praire Dogs...

Bear in Alaska, again with the 45-75...

A moose with a deluxe 40-60...

I never considered myself a failure...I started out at the bottom and happen to like it here!

Offline Dirty Brass

• Ol' Ter-Bear
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live life to the fullest!
    • TLC Guns & Ammo Inc
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: November 11, 2009, 07:29:00 AM »
Now those pics are worthy of posting! Nice to see you getting full use of your 76's!  ;) I like that deluxe model :D

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: November 12, 2009, 09:19:43 AM »
Great set of photos.  I hunt with my 76's also and you can't have more fun than that. 

Adios,
Buck

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: November 14, 2009, 12:33:07 PM »
Great pics!  Love seeing these rifles doing what they were built to do.  Thanks for posting! :)
GAF

Offline wrm

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2009, 11:55:33 PM »
It always surprises me to learn not only how many of the Model 1876 are still around, but how they are found all over the world.

South Africa was never big on leverguns.

Found this pic the other day, dunno whether y'all have seen it already?

You sharp-eyed fellows can do an inventory :-)

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: November 17, 2009, 12:05:22 PM »
WRM,
Was there a caption that went with this photo?  The first rifle I noticed was the '76 right in front with the button mag and sling swivels.  There appears to be an '86 in the stack on the far right.  It too, looks like a button mag with sling swivels.  Great photo.

Adios,
Buck

Offline wrm

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: November 21, 2009, 12:42:56 AM »
WRM,
Was there a caption that went with this photo?

Just the title, "Captured Boer rifles in Cape Town (After Pretoria, the Guerilla War, p422)". Guessing it comes from this book http://www.archivecdbooksusa.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?AFFIL=TBA1&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GB1205

The first rifle I noticed was the '76 right in front with the button mag and sling swivels.

Yes, that's why a friend forwarded the pic to me, knowing my predilection for all things lever.

As I said, levers were never that popular in SA but this shows that there were some around.

Offline triple w

• Top Active Citizen
  • Y'a got'a love a hobby that makes y'a feel so good
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: December 06, 2009, 08:12:16 PM »
Sorry....wrong area for my post  :-[
BOLD# 986, STORM# 352,   The Winchester 1876 Society,
 1860 Henry Rifle Shooters Roster #123, Spencer Shooting Society #318

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com