Author Topic: Ready for Cody Dixon Match  (Read 2117 times)

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Ready for Cody Dixon Match
« on: September 10, 2009, 07:14:36 PM »
I've been tinkering with a new Marlin 336 Cowboy in 38-55 with the aim of shooting Cody Dixon with it.  I apologize for not remembering who, but a wise soul on this forum advised me to try Goex Express FFFg for best performance and accuracy.  Boy, was he right!  So thanks - whoever it was! 

I've attached a photo of the group I shot today with it - 1-1/8".  The load was Starline 2.125" brass, a Big Lube 255 grain bullet, 46 grains Goex Express, 0.030" fiber wad and a Federal Magnum Match primer.  I had a limited number of bullets to load, so this is only a 3-shot group.  Howver, it was head and shoulders better than those with standard FFg and FFFg Goex.  I know longer shot strings will yield larger groups, but I'm comfortable I can shoot the matches with no problems - at least, none attributable to the rifle or ammunition!

SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Ready for Cody Dixon Match
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 09:10:46 PM »
Get yer pot hot Aggie,

That new mold is on it's way.  I mounted the handles for you.  Run yer metal around 750°F.  Now you don't ever have to run out of bullets to shoot with that rifle.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 10:06:33 PM »
Dick,

It'll be ready!  I have my first Cody Dixon match scheduled for mid-October, so I'll get busy casting and loading as soon as the mold arrives.  The only potential holdup is that I had to order a custom 0.380" sizing die for the bullets from Buffalo Arms.  I just hope it is in stock, and not on backorder.

My Christmas list includes a 44 Mav, a 45-250 PRS and a 158 Snakebite mold.  ;D

Speaking of which, do you have any experience loading the 158 Snakebite in the 38 S&W?  I just picked up an S&W breaktop in that caliber and am looking forward to side matches with it.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:11:02 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com