Author Topic: Brownson, Slocum & Hopkins 12 ga. Muzzle Loader Shotgun  (Read 2177 times)

Offline Gunbarrel

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Brownson, Slocum & Hopkins 12 ga. Muzzle Loader Shotgun
« on: January 25, 2019, 07:21:44 PM »
Howdy,

Does anyone here have any information on Brownson, Slocum & Hopkins 12 ga. Muzzle Loader Shotguns?

Much obliged!

GB

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: Brownson, Slocum & Hopkins 12 ga. Muzzle Loader Shotgun
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 11:20:40 PM »
It's been quite a few years ago, I was given one... I remember some about it , like the Damascus barrels and the dolphin head hammers.
It was English style stocked in a lighter straight grained walnut finish, nothing remarkable.
Locks had been finished in white and had browned naturally as I recall , & only had a dot like boarder & Brownson, Slocum & Hopkins engraving or stamp
 If I recall correctly  Brownson, Slocum & Hopkins was a Hardware mail order, rather than firearms manufacturer Circa 1870's.

Damascus barrels pretty much regulated it to wall hanger status....I believe I sold the one I had for $150 and that was pretty good
for a sale in early 1990's....

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 01:40:22 AM »
I'm thinking I had one--maybe even my first ML shotgun--more than 30 years ago.  If that old memory is correct, the one I had was made in Belgium.  What are the proofmarks on yours?  Check the bottom of the barrels, back towards the breech.

Keep an eye on the left hammer screw, these often work loose. 

How are the sears, locks, etc?  If the gun might be a shooter for someone, this is a major selling point/detraction. 
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:21:43 AM »

Offline Gunbarrel

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 10:32:18 AM »
Thank you, Major and LongWalker,

Mine does not have Damascus barrels. I'll look more carefully for proof marks.

GB

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com