Author Topic: H&R Handi rifle tang sight  (Read 573 times)

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
H&R Handi rifle tang sight
« on: September 29, 2023, 10:51:23 PM »
Howdy Fellers,

I done bought me the Handi rifle in .357. My plan is to use it for cowboy long range pistol caliber. I haven't shot it yet, but I'm wondering how folks mount a tang sight on these things. I may not need one, but I thought I'd try to learn from some of the more experienced H&R owners here. I've seen some recommendations for mounting inserts in the stock wrist to screw the sight base into. This seems a bit more elegant than just using a couple of wood screws. 

By the way, What sight should I be looking for?

Any ideas would be appreciated,
Rev. Chase

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: H&R Handi rifle tang sight
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2023, 08:08:19 AM »

:) Hi Reverend P.B.C  ;)

Well I'm the "Nay Sayer" in the crowd.  I have owned and shot three different Handi Rifles.  First was a .44 Manglem, Then a .45 Colt followed up by my favorite 38-55 Target.  I really like the Handi Rifle.

I have also shot with some folks who elected to install a "Tang" sight.  As you are aware, there is no "Tang."  The sight must be mounted into a wood Butt Stock.  Wood is not stable.  It moves (sometimes a lot).  I have installed two for "others" neither of whom were happy with the long term results.  I don't recommend it.

I do however, Recommend a "Smiths Enterprises"  ladder sight assembly.  Has positive stops on the ladder and the basic sight is a Buckhorn.  Being attached to the barrel makes it very stable.  I put one on all my rifles.  Give it a serious look.

Offline Galen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2023, 08:18:50 AM »
I have a Buffalo Classic with a Marbles tang sight mounted. The rifle shoots well enough out to 300 yards. The gunsmith mounted the sight to the stock, looks good and has remained solid for about 25 years.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:56:35 AM »

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • SASS #: 87747
  • GAF #: 502
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2023, 04:32:13 PM »
:) Hi Reverend P.B.C  ;)

Well I'm the "Nay Sayer" in the crowd.  I have owned and shot three different Handi Rifles.  First was a .44 Manglem, Then a .45 Colt followed up by my favorite 38-55 Target.  I really like the Handi Rifle.

I have also shot with some folks who elected to install a "Tang" sight.  As you are aware, there is no "Tang."  The sight must be mounted into a wood Butt Stock.  Wood is not stable.  It moves (sometimes a lot).  I have installed two for "others" neither of whom were happy with the long term results.  I don't recommend it.

I do however, Recommend a "Smiths Enterprises"  ladder sight assembly.  Has positive stops on the ladder and the basic sight is a Buckhorn.  Being attached to the barrel makes it very stable.  I put one on all my rifles.  Give it a serious look.

Hi there could you elaborate on the "ladder sight assembly" from Smiths Enterprises . I have a H&R in 38-55 which I love to shoot . Looking at some sight changes .
Appreciate your reply
Charlie

"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com