Author Topic: Hardest Western to watch, and I love westerns  (Read 27112 times)

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Hardest Western to watch, and I love westerns
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2005, 06:07:49 PM »
I had forgotten that "Dollar for the Dead" and wish that it had stayed in my subconscious.  Yes, that was bad!  They tried too hard and that's just the best way to put it.  Sadly, when it comes to westerns many try too hard to create something about which they understand little.  They just end up missing the point and the movie flops.

You reminded me of another bad movie.  "Dead for a Dollar" which starred George Hilton, one of my favorite Spaghetti Western stars.  Unfortunately, this one was no good either!  ::) ::)
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline jrdudas

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2005, 09:32:11 AM »
"Little House on the Prarie", current TV mini-series. While this may not qualify as "hard to watch", they do make some terrible mistakes that someone of the time would never do.  In the episode that aired last Saturday, Pa Ingels gets home after riding through a pouring rain for several hours. During the entirety of his ride in the rain he carries his rifle "barrel up".  Even the most novice shooter learns to carry his rifle "barrel down" when it's raining.

John

Offline Cherokee Jem

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2005, 07:21:58 AM »
Pa Ingles is a farmer....Id like him more if he was a cowboy...

The hardest movie I ever sat through had to be American Outlaws. It SOOOOO messed up the story!!! Too much Hollywood, not enough realism. Plus, I got to here all about how hot Collin Farrel is from Ari. UGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Jem
Went following some tracks, almost got hit by a train.... :D  
Don't tell my horse that your out of food...
Have gun, will travel, just not by air...

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 05:40:40 PM »

Offline thehairlessone

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2005, 05:52:18 PM »
I started watching one today that is pretty hard to watch.

It is called Dollar for the Dead. I guess it is a TNT original movie. Has Emilio Estevez in it. I picked it up for a $1 at the local movie store and I think I may have got screwed.

I like Emilio but this movie is pretty ridiculous.

rick

Offline Laredo_Crockett

• Citizen
    • Rocky Top Tennessee
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2005, 03:47:04 PM »
This has to be the worst of them all..
Jed Buell's Midgets in
THE TERROR OF TINY TOWN

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2005, 05:11:05 PM »
Gawd!  That sounds and looks just awful!!
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline RowdyBill

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2005, 02:59:17 PM »
Pa Ingles is a farmer....Id like him more if he was a cowboy...

The hardest movie I ever sat through had to be American Outlaws. It SOOOOO messed up the story!!! Too much Hollywood, not enough realism. Plus, I got to here all about how hot Collin Farrel is from Ari. UGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Jem

You're right.  Why make a movie about the James gang and NOT have the Northfield Raid in it?  Plus, the way this movie was written is beyond the wildest lies even the real life gang members and dime novelists could have come up with.

"Naw, now that is B.S., even by my standards." - Cole Younger from a seance medium

Offline Whiptail Moses

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2005, 09:08:52 PM »
a midget western  ;D  shame mystery science theater is off the air

Im surprised that i didn't like once upon a time in the west more... i need to see it wide-screen.
 the opening is fantastic, and so are several scenes... something just didn't get me, and harmonica's theme got annoying.
i love spagettis..
the other leones are great.

worst western i've seen?  probably 'last of the wild horses' or any of that 50's b-western crap.  I find the bad italian westerns are alot more fun as a rule because people are so dirty and the acting is so over the top.  Even some of the wierder ones like captain apache (fun if your in the mood) and bad man river (ugh)

the johnny depp one is called 'dead man'.  I own it and like it.  Another 'arty' western that might be alot more enjoyable for people is 'silent tongue'.  Pretty good.
'Whiptail' Moses Byron Ames

Offline Col. Riddles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Whar's thet dadblasted Yankee?
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2005, 10:55:49 AM »
Any euro "western" by director/producer Karl May is the absolute pits and should have never been imported into this country. Stuart Granger starred in them & must have been extremely desperate for money to appear in such tripe. I can never watch more than 5 minutes of them.

TOMBSTONE
How can any of you pards catagorize that movie as one of the worst? It's got to be the most historically accurate & one of the best oaters Hollyweird has put out in the past 100 years.  Sure it has it's inaccuracies, & timeline compression to keep the movie from being too long. But the clothing, firearms, leather, tack & sets are extremely well done.

I've seen the movie many times & never noticed Kurt Russell flinching. I'll have to watch for that the next time I see it. Wyatt Earp was a store clerk, teamster, buffalo hunter, lawman, gambler, shotgun guard for Wells Fargo, sports refferee, saloon keeper, prospector, real estate speculator and possibly a pimp throughout his life. But he was never a "cowboy" and shouldn't be characterized as such.

Virgil Earp was shot by 3 unknown assasins with shotguns on Allen St. while crossing 5th St (westbound) from the Oriental Saloon to the Crystal Palace Saloon at about midnight on Dec. 28th, 1881. Ike Clanton, Johnny Ringo, Curly Bill Brocius, Hank Swilling and Frank Stilwell are the suspects. But no definitive proof has ever surfaced to say without a doubt who those assailants were. So take your pick.  One load hit him just above the left hip & the other shattered his left elbow. He turned around and staggered back to the Oriental & collapsed in front of it in Wyatt's arms who had come outside to see what the shooting was about. Dr. George Goodfellow removed 13 pieces of buckshot from his body along with his shattered left elbow rendering the arm useless for the rest of his life. Even so, Virgil left Tombstone to later become the first city marshal of Colton, Ca..

At 10:00 Saturday night, March 18th, 1882, while engaged in playing a game of billiards in Campbell & Hatch's Billiard parlor, on Allen between Fourth and Fifth, Morgan Earp was shot through the body by an unknown assassin. At the time the shot was fired he was playing a game with Bob Hatch, one of the proprietors of the house and was standing with his back to the glass door in the rear of the room that opens out upon the alley that leads straight through the block along the west side of A.D. Otis & Co.'s store to Fremont Street. This door is the ordinary glass door with four panes in the top in place of panels. The two lower panes are painted, the upper ones being clear. Anyone standing outside can look over the painted glass and see anything going on in the room just as well as though standing in the open door. At the time the shot was fired the deceased must have been standing within ten feet of the door, and the assassin standing near enough to see his position, took aim for about the middle of his person, shooting through the upper portion of the whitened glass. The bullet entered the right side of the abdomen, passing through the spinal column, completely shattering it, emerging on the left side, passing the length of the room and lodging in the thigh of Geo. A.B. Berry, who was standing by the stove, inflicting a painful flesh wound. Instantly after the first shot a second was fired through the top of the upper glass which passed across the room and lodged in the wall near the ceiling over the head of Wyatt Earp, who was sitting as a spectator of the game. Morgan fell instantly upon the first fire and lived only about one hour. His brother Wyatt, Tipton, and McMasters rushed to the side of the wounded man and tenderly picked him up and moved him some ten feet away near the door of the card room, where Drs. Matthews, Goodfellow and Millar, who were called, examined him and, after a brief consultation, pronounced the wound mortal. He was then moved into the card room and placed on the lounge where in a few brief moments he breathed his last, surrounded by his brothers, Wyatt, Virgil, James and Warren with the wives of Virgil and James and a few of his most intimate friends. Notwithstanding the intensity of his mortal agony, not a word of complaint escaped his lips, and all that were heard, except those whispered into the ear of his brother and known only to him were, "Don't, I can't stand it. This is the last game of pool I'll ever play." The first part of the sentence being wrung from him by an attempt to place him upon his feet.

Val Kilmer did an outstanding portrayal of Doc Holiday. He lost 40 lbs to look emaciated as Doc certainly would have been at that period in his life. He also brought out that Doc was a heavy drinker who took chances because he didn't want to die a slow death from TB (which happened anyway). Whether consiously or subconciuously we'll never know but from historical accounts it seems that Doc had a death wish. He was sufferring & wished someone would kill him. Being a native of Georgia I can say that Kilmer had that deep south Ga. drawl down pat.

"I'm your huckleberry." is a 19th century term meaning "I'm the man to get the job done."

Spaghetti Westerns YUCK! The only reason they exist is that Hollyweird wasn't interested in doing westerns and the Italians were. The background music and sound effects are horrible. Whoever saw a cowboy riding an Arabian horse? But that's what they used in the Italian oaters. The Arabian was first brought to North America in 1725. Geo. Washington owned a few. U.S. Grant was presented with a pair of Arabian stallions in 1877. But the breed did not become popular in the US until the 1920s. They can't even get the tack right in some of them. I've seen what are supposedly US Cavalry troopers riding English saddles instead of McClellan saddles & cowboys riding Australian stock saddles (no saddle horns). And some of the dialogue is really hokey. As bad as some of them are, nobody can make a western as good as we can because this is home of the cowboy & where the "west" really happened. It's part of our history & heritage. 

God answers knee mail † ><>
BOLD
SCORRS
SASS 7462 Life

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2005, 09:07:51 PM »
<Trinity shakes head>

I guess you didn't like any of the insanely popular so-called "Dollars Trilogy" featuring Clint Eastwood.  Hmm.

As for Karl May.  He is to Germany what L'Amour is to us.  I may be mistaken, but I don't think he was ever directed or produced any of the movies.  I do know he wrote the books.  To be honest, I really don't rank the L'Amour westerns high on my list even if I do rank the Actors and often the production quality high.  Something seems to become lost between book and screen.

Besides, my moves (Trinity) were Euro/Spaghetti westerns.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2005, 05:20:26 AM »
Wow!  It is interesting to see what some folks like and others don't.

I'm not overly fond of the Spaghetti westerns (sorry, Trinity).  I don't think I've ever made it through "Once Upon a Time in the West".  In fact, after the railroad station scene at the beginning, it can't hold my interest at all.  On the other hand, I enjoy "Trinity is My Name" for its comedy.  "Trinity is still my name" isn't as good though.

As for the "Undefeated" and the Stone/Hackman version of "Quick and the Dead" I figure them just average.  "Undefeated" is a typical Duke film of the era.  The worst thing about "Quick and the Dead" is the Kid (who I can't stand in anything), the whole premise of a gunfighter tournament in the first place, and the scene where Hackman is shot by Stone.   

Have to disagree with my pard Cheyenne on McClintock though - its a good western comedy, typical of the films of the day. 

"Tombstone" vs "Wyatt Earp" - the former has more action, Sam Elliott and Dana Delaney, better music and better villians (actors); the latter is more historically accurate, but painfully slow because Costner couldn't edit it down to a good movie.  Of the two Docs, I prefer Quaid's version of dark and menacing, rather than Kilmer's near psycho interpretation.

"American Outlaws" - Yep, pretty bad.  I watched it for the first time in Iraq and as desperate as I was for watching movies, and westerns in particular, once was enough for me.

I liked Sam Elliott in "Desperate Trail" though to me this was almost another modern western of the "American Outlaws" genre.  Sam played a really great bad man - or perhaps a hard man. 

Someone mentioned "The Searchers" but for me it is one of the greatest westerns made.  Granted the guns are all wrong and John Ford can't resist his songs, light comedy, and usual friendly banter, but the story is still one of the best.  Each to their own I guess.

Offline Bushwack Bill

• Captain, U.S. Scouts
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2005, 02:01:49 PM »
Any one remember the Western where Ringo Starr (of the Beatles) played a blind gunfighter?  AAARRGGhhh!
Old Soldiers never die, we fall back to hell to regroup and sell out to the highest bidder

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2005, 08:44:28 PM »
Wow!  It is interesting to see what some folks like and others don't.

I'm not overly fond of the Spaghetti westerns (sorry, Trinity).  I don't think I've ever made it through "Once Upon a Time in the West".  In fact, after the railroad station scene at the beginning, it can't hold my interest at all.  On the other hand, I enjoy "Trinity is My Name" for its comedy.  "Trinity is still my name" isn't as good though.

:'(

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2005, 11:22:25 PM »
I like spaghetti westerns. I like the grit, the grubbiness and the sheer entertainment of them. I don't watch movies for a history lesson, I watch them for fun or escapism. Tombstone was ok, but I liked "My Name is Nobody" better.

Just a matter of tastes,

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Wielder of "Elle KaBong", the WartHog cast iron skillet
Nasty Lady

Offline Henry Logan

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2005, 04:13:43 PM »
Most of the movies that I have a hard time getting through have been mentioned. But I noticed that we talk about historical accuracy. Unless it's a documentry, I'm not sure it's relevent. I thought the movies were for entertainment. However I do enjoy the fact that the firearm accuracy has been getting better.
You don't measure wealth by how much money you have.

member Verdigris Valley Renegades
SASS # 3709
RATS #206

Offline Wes Virginian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2005, 04:34:29 PM »
I liked the "Trinity" movies when they first came out. But got a little tired of them after seeing them about 10 times. But then, I also liked "Rustler's Raphsody". Always did like John Wayne and Clint Eastwoods American made westerns.
Texican Rangers, Co. A, Kanawha Valley Regulators, NRA Life-Endowment, SASS Life 40471, NCOWS 2037, GAF, USN '60/'63.

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2005, 12:01:17 AM »
I liked the "Trinity" movies when they first came out. But got a little tired of them after seeing them about 10 times. But then, I also liked "Rustler's Raphsody". Always did like John Wayne and Clint Eastwoods American made westerns.

Only ten times?  Pffft!   ;D ;D ;D

I think I'll go watch again now!  ;D ;D 8) 8) ;)

wspe61

« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2006, 08:57:21 PM »
 Once upon a Time in The West

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2006, 09:46:38 PM »
Cowboys Ride with whuttzizzname from Bay Watch.  Real waste of...well, just about everything.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2006, 06:42:04 PM »
 a goodly portion of westerns mentioned I have never even heard of much less seen. In my estimation "Duke" has never made a "bad" western or war movie. Heck pards, When I went to see the "Undefeated" both the "Duke and Hutson were in town to "push" the movie I ended up sitting in the asile of the theater to watch the film and got to shake Duke's hand after the movie! Guess I'll have to paraphrase Mr. Will Rogers here. "I've never seen a western I didn't like." 
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com