Author Topic: Ok, Jerry Miculek I ain't.....  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Ok, Jerry Miculek I ain't.....
« on: January 16, 2009, 06:00:16 PM »
...and that really isn't the point of this thread.

This afternoon after I got off the bus route the weather was so nice I just had to try out the new toy I spent my Christmas money on. After that I shot my XD-40 a little. 

Have any of you timed yourself for 10 shots through one of your cowboy pistols? I used a timer in practice for the first time and I was kind of disappointed as I've seen people shoot a 10-10-4 as fast as I shot the one pistol for 10 shots.

In my expiriment I had each gun loaded with 5 (hdec)and holstered. At the beep I drew, cocked and fired 5 shots, reloaded and shot 5 more. I had the second XD mag in a pouch in my shoulder harness. I loaded the revolver from a cartridge box on the belt. I found I was shooting the XD about 13 seconds faster than the cowboy gun. Does that sound about right?
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Capt. Montgomery Little

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Ok, Jerry Miculek I ain't.....
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 10:48:07 PM »
Col. Sir,  As long as the first one is on target, the speed with which you empty the firearm has no real relevancy. NOOOWWWW, if you should have trouble hitting on #1, best keep practicing but remember, "Take your time and fire accurately, but rapidly." I have heard it said and have seen it in action, the single action handgun is absolutely the fastest from the holster. But, you still have to make that first one count.

We have a gentleman in the Shootists that can empty a Ruger Blackhawk in less than three seconds (from the holster) and hit a 9" dinner plate sized target at 25 yds with all five rounds.  I have seen him hit a 585 yd target consistently with said Blackhawk as fast as he can unload it. It is not only a phenomenal this to see but very humbling also.

Glad to hear that central Nebrasky has not turned to a cake of ice.

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 03:04:44 PM »
Col. Little
Good to hear from you!

You are absolutely correct in the "real world" Fortunately I've never had to use a pistol in the real world and God willing I never will. On the practice range and in competition I seldom miss the first shot, but the second, third, and on up don't necessarily follow their predicessor to the target   ::) :-[ :P In terms of my original question, it was aimed more at practice for competition.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:26:20 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com