Author Topic: 1897 shotgun questions  (Read 6417 times)

Offline Lightning Lee

• Citizen
  • Adirondack Mtn's, NY
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1897 shotgun questions
« on: July 17, 2010, 06:27:35 PM »
I'm thinking of picking up an 1897 shotgun and was wondering if I should buy an original or one of the clones. My main concern is reliability and function as a main match gun. Assuming a budget of $1000 +or-, what should I be looking for? I really want to get this right the first time.

Thanks
NRA, SASS #87011, Bold #1002, Rats #520, NYSRPA

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 406
Re: 1897 shotgun questions
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 08:53:27 PM »
One Thousand Dollars?!   I got TWO for $500CAD about 10 years ago.  One was a late model, very tight, the other a 1908 with a weaver adjustable choke which now resides in a landfill.  It was my main match shottie after I had a mod. 'thinwall" choke installed. Both of them were good competition guns.

I don't use them much now, as I've reverted to the original gunpowder, and a hammered double.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 07:47:03 AM »
Yep, for well under $1,000 you should be able to pick up a very nice original.  I'd definitely do that rather than a clone.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:57:52 AM »

Offline Lightning Lee

• Citizen
  • Adirondack Mtn's, NY
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 04:11:37 PM »
Thanks guys,

I just located a really nice original locally so I think I'll pick it up. Is there anything that should be done to it to make it better as a cass gun? Are there any gunsmiths that specialize in these shotguns?
NRA, SASS #87011, Bold #1002, Rats #520, NYSRPA

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 07:11:58 PM »
Mine were fine as they were.  Worn but not abused, and worked slick'rn **##.

I had a stoppage; - ONCE!  I guess i didn't work the slide hard enough.  It seemed closed but wouldn't fire or open.  After jerking & tugging a bit I noticed that the rear of the bolt protruded from the rear of the frame.

I pushed it in.  It worked perfectly. 

Just work the slide with some "authority".  I call this one pilot error.

Offline Grigori_Storri

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 05:53:20 AM »
I did get a NORINCO (spelling?) copy of the 1897 hammered pump back in 2000 2001. First test firing proved problematic. It was really bad the pump action froze halfway and it took some work to get the actiion right after first shot. Disarmed it and took it in the shop broke it down to find milling burs in the action. After I took the drimmel to it and regreased the problem was fixed. It works well enough now my wife keeps it for home protection.

Offline Dead I

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 07:12:32 PM »
It used to be you'd buy an original and get another barrel and cut it down.  Now you can't get any more original replacement barrels.  They've all be cut down.

My brother shoots his Norinco in matches and doesn't like it much.  He had some pretty expensive work to "slick it up some".

My advice is...always get an original if you can.  These 97's do shoot loose...the stock bolt needs to be tightened.  If you get one, go ahead and shoot the 30 inch barrel. Cost for a good one should be about $600.   

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 08:46:53 PM »
Dead I said;"If you get one, go ahead and shoot the 30 inch barrel."

I totally agree.  The best match scores I ever had were with 30 inch full choke barrels.  Also, the slickerest shooting I've seen by others was with long tight barrels.

Offline Dead I

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 11:41:17 PM »
I note that most guys shoot short barreled shotguns in matches.  I've got long barreled shotguns and short barreled shotguns.  I don't have any shorter than 26" however. 

I find that the longer the tube the better the gun points.  On a 97 the stock feels very long because the wrist has to accomodate that long bolt and the action is long too. Then mount it with a 30 inch barrel and you feel as if you can shoot it or swat at the target.  They are long, slender clacky beasts but I like'em.  I also like the old fashioned hammer half cock safety.

A slight warning.  If you are jacking that action rapidly your firing hand can shift forward and when the bolt comes back it can skin the top of  your hand.  This will cause you to use language that would make a New York cabbie blanch. Some guys shift their thumb alongside, sorta like how some  hold an M-1 Garand.

Offline WyrTwister

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 01:57:49 AM »
I'm thinking of picking up an 1897 shotgun and was wondering if I should buy an original or one of the clones. My main concern is reliability and function as a main match gun. Assuming a budget of $1000 +or-, what should I be looking for? I really want to get this right the first time.

Thanks

I have an original with the barrel shortened to 20"  .  Well worn , but a true lead launching machine !

God bless
Wyr

Offline vintagearms

• Citizen
  • Lifes to short to hunt with an ugly gun
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 08:22:13 PM »
after the fact but 97 prices have been headed up up up espp for clean original examples (there is also a model 93 avoid it except to collect) marlin made a bolt slide action hammer gun model 20 i think less money than the Winchester. also Im looking into it but i think model 12 barrel may fit 97 opens up th source for cut down barrels
".... I Hatchet Jack being of sond mind and brole legs do hereby leaveth by Bare rifle to whatever finds it, Lord hope he be a whiteman. It is a good rifle and kilt the bare tha kilt me. Anyway I am dead... your truely Hatchet Jack

Offline Dead I

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 05:42:16 PM »
after the fact but 97 prices have been headed up up up espp for clean original examples (there is also a model 93 avoid it except to collect) marlin made a bolt slide action hammer gun model 20 i think less money than the Winchester. also Im looking into it but i think model 12 barrel may fit 97 opens up th source for cut down barrels

I think if a Model 12 barrel fit an old 97 that we would know it by now, since everybody would be doing it.  I recall when 97 riot guns were $125.  It'd be very neat to shoot one of those.  They also fixed a bayonet, the same one that went on the Enflield.

If someone made a short after market 97 barrel with choke tubes they sell them like  hotcakes.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com