Author Topic: Haversack recommendations  (Read 15725 times)

Offline Doc Jackson

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Haversack recommendations
« on: October 08, 2018, 09:15:59 PM »
Im looking for a tarred haversack with a roller buckle as issued to federal troops, any recommendations? Im more than willing to buy second hand too, if anybody has anything. Or would an un-tarred haversack be more appropriate?

Can anybody give me a list of the basic items to put in it.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: Haversack recommendations
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 09:20:04 AM »
What time period are you looking at?
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 09:35:02 AM »
Tared haversack, might indicate Union circa 1861-5

Tin plate ... 3 tine fork , surely a spoon , or perhaps a knife and spoon folder. a cup was often hung off the strap.
Housewife ...sewing kit
straight razor, maybe pocket mirror
Pipe "if you smoke "
pencil or pin ( dip tip stile )
candle holder perhaps  

Letter form home, a tintype or daguerreotype

maybe checkers or jews harp or harmonica....

hardtack and Salt pork & coffee bean bag  

sm. bible or Harper's weekly
when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:59:23 AM »

Offline Doc Jackson

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 10:07:49 AM »
Im interested in the 18th infantry and the fighting on the Boseman trail, from the summer of 66' through to the period before the start of "Hancock's War" and Crook's Black Hills expedition of 76'.

I know that in the Black Hills expedition of 76' alot of four button sack coats were issued, and from everything Ive read the huge uniform stockpiles left over from the civil war were issued in quantity through 1876 tapering off until exhausted in 1880 and even then they had alot of stuff on hand.  In the two pictures I have of Black Hills expedition of 76', I saw fairweather christian belts, a forage cap and possibly a 4 button sack coat. I got Dorsey's books about belts and another about belts and related equipment. Im pretty familiar with the small arms, accouterments, belts, pouches and the like, and the uniforms of my periods. Im lacking any real knowledge of the other equipment canteens, packs and haversacks.

I know I need different rifles and accouterments which Ive already have, and Im confident that I can use the same uniform and still be typical of the later period. Im going to get both a civilian hat probably brown or black and an 1858 forage cap for variety. Im not sure about the haversacks and canteens though, if I had to get different equipment so be it, but if possible I want as much cross over as possible.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 10:45:49 AM »
The CW smooth side canteen was still in use in the SPAN-AM with a  khaki  cover... the haversack however had changed both in dimensions & materials.

In the time frame that you mention...I suggest the tared haversack CW era was use well in the conflict with the Lakota and Northern Cheyenne.
A great deal of surplus equipment served the troops....

But each Haversack was unique to it's owner, aside from common eating utensils, other contents were varied as to personal effects.

Offline Doc Jackson

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 10:52:15 AM »
the contents were all good suggestions, I play the harmonica, can you suggest a supplier for a period type?

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 01:45:57 PM »
One person you could contact for a well-made and economical tarred haversack is Jay Richards at "Poor Richards' Historical Reproductions" in New Jersey - http://richardsreproductions.com/index.html

I have gotten a number of items from him over the past few years, and he is a pleasure to deal with.  A few years ago, a group of us were putting together impressions of an Independent Company of Rifles, Canadian Militia, from the Fenian Raids period (1866-70) and had noted several different period photos from that time-frame showing Militia Riflemen with tarred haversacks which might have been an American pattern, but which also looked very much like they might have been a variation of the British Pattern 1850 haversack, albeit tarred and with a buckle and leather strap closure rather than the standard button closure for the flap.

At any rate, Jay was quite willing to produce similar haversacks for s, based on his existing P'50 haversack.  We were very pleased with the end product:

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Doc Jackson

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 02:33:00 PM »
Wow you really go all in on the impression, I know you do others too. Im starting out by going with the basic uniform and minimal fighting load and then later perhaps blanket and rubber blanket roll and winter clothing. If I budget everything right I should be able to do it in two years.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 02:39:32 PM »
Ebay have this one right now

ANTIQUE HARMONICA, THE SPORTSMAN, M. HOHNER 1871-1881

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-HARMONICA-THE-SPORTSMAN-M-HOHNER-1871-1881-/123401708557?hash=item1cbb50a40d

Offline Doc Jackson

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 02:54:36 PM »
Thanks for the tip, I cant afford it now but I'll keep an eye out for that type in the future.

Offline Pay Dirt Norvelle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 05:10:58 PM »
Technically the Haversack was only supposed to hold food and eating accoutrements.  If you are looking for a US Federal one try some of the Civil War Sutlers such as Regimental Quartermaster and N J Sekela.   I know there as some other good Sutlers, but I can't think of them off the top of my head right now.
PAY DIRT NORVELLE
SASS #90056
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
COYOTE VALLEY COWBOYS #37
RATS #650

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 05:41:19 PM »
Wow you really go all in on the impression ...

Yes, Im a bit of a fanatic when I do these ... although I do find that, in reality, it is generally simply not practical to shoot through a GAF-type skirmish in full uniform and kit ... and I generally find myself shucking down to "shirtsleeves order" to do that ... such as can be seen in this video taken at this years Grand National Muster ... it is the same Militia Rifles, sans tunic and kepi, with the fatigue/foraging-duty straw hat (... referred to, tongue-in-cheek, as a "cow's breakfast" ...) but much more comfortable in the humid heat of Nebraska at the end of June!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIDuA3_LW5A&t=75s&list=PL3RChRKXZ0aXDC5IT61aR_3im_22HK_gf&index=49

For example, my uniform and kit at the 2014 Muster was that of Fenian Raids-era Canadian Militia Infantry and this composite photo contrasts a "cool and collected" posed shot with the "hot and frazzled" appearance I had after actually shooting through a skirmish in full kit ...  :-\ ...

Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Doc Jackson

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2018, 05:42:46 PM »
Ive come across some used haversack for sale that appear to be good quality but are a bit worn. Before I choose to go this route I have three questions. First when haversacks, packs, or similar equipment wore out or was damaged was it commonly repaired? or was it turned in and exchanged for a serviceable piece of equipment? Second, if the stuff was repaired, who would have done it, the soldier himself  or somebody else? Third what materials would I need?

I already have canvas / leather needles, and awl, and a bunch of waxed thread I made; left over from from an alteration I made to my fairweather christian belt. I have some basic sewing skills and Ive recently worked with leather and the results were servicacble if not the prettiest work out there. How much different is it working with canvas? I read Stephen Dorsey's book on U.S. Army belts and in it he mentions that many belts with soldier made and done with minimal skill, would this also apply to uniform and gear repair?

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2018, 05:47:23 PM »
If the damage happened during a campaign, I guarantee the soldier fixed it himself with whatever he had, for what it's worth.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Doc Jackson

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2018, 05:57:49 PM »
 RattlesnakeJack, I really like your attention to detail, thats what Im striving to do myself, so Im trying to read up as much as I can, so I can approach my intended impression with good information.

Im reading as many books as I can afford to buy and Im currently finishing Frontier Regulars by Utley. Ive already devoured American military and naval belts, 1812-1902 and American Military Belts and Related Equipments by Dorsey, Campaign Clothing: Field Uniforms of the Indian War Army 1866-1871 by Rutledge, Packing Iron by Rattenbury, A Study of Colt Conversions and Other Percussion Revolvers by McDowell and the Osprey US Infantry in the Indian Wars 1865–91 by Field.

I have Forty Miles a Day on Beans and Hay: The Enlisted Soldier Fighting the Indian Wars by Rickey and Carbines of the Civil War, 1861-1865 by McAuley, on the way .

Offline Doc Jackson

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2018, 06:04:00 PM »
If the damage happened during a campaign, I guarantee the soldier fixed it himself with whatever he had, for what it's worth.

I remember we were provided with codura patching kits that had a glue and a few patches and sewing was and probably still is a 10 level task covered in the soldiers handbook, I repaired my own uniforms and equipment on occasion. I just wanted to be certain before I made any purchases, other than a two small holes and wear on the paint the haversack in question appears to be a good reproduction and could be easily made serviceable with minimal work.

Offline 38OVI

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2018, 08:43:59 PM »
CD Jarnigan & Company and they also have the rubber blankets/ponchos

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2018, 11:24:27 PM »
Doc Jackson: Sounds as if you think like me: "Can't have too many books ... or do too much research!"

;D ;D ;D

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:

Offline Doc Jackson

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2018, 08:45:32 AM »
Thanks for the advice everyone. I was able to secure a good haversack of the mid to late war style. Maker unknown, but it seems to be of good quality and is accurate, though a little worn. It has two small holes that can be easily darned and a 1 1/4'' tear that I'll put a whip stitch on. I just need to wash it repair the holes, and repaint it, all in it will be under $20.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com