Author Topic: Old Rivets On Leather And Canvas  (Read 1377 times)

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 691
Old Rivets On Leather And Canvas
« on: September 24, 2021, 08:51:11 AM »
Can anyone tell me what types of rivets or fasteners these are?

They are found on old leather and canvas belts. Can they be drilled out and redone if the leather is old and needs to be redone?

Sorry for the poor images.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Old Rivets On Leather And Canvas
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 09:12:38 AM »
What I am wanting to do is take these brass shotgun shell holders off of the hold leather and replace them on a new leather belt.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 09:30:04 AM »
I've seen those before and just took them for grommets used for the purpose but maybe they're more stout than a grommet would be. Perhaps they're a full-drilled tubular rivet. One of the pros here may know more about them.

You should be able to drill them off if you do it carefully from the back and not let the drill go all the way through the hole and damage the shell holders. I suppose you could use double cap rivets from Tandy craft store. Those wouldn't look the same but would certainly do the job.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:37:11 PM »

Online Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 09:59:38 AM »
Might have to modify an old pair of pliers to hold them while you drill them. Assume you don’t care about the belt you can cut the belt back to get your pliers in there. Do some grinding on the nose on one side, keep the other side original length. Long nosed end on the bottom, concave cut back side [for the drill] on the top where you’re drilling. Might need to cut a radius on the jaw so as not to mar the inside of the brass tubes too. Just a suggestion. Use your drill press. They might come right apart.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 10:05:52 AM »
I've seen those before and just took them for grommets used for the purpose but maybe they're more stout than a grommet would be. Perhaps they're a full-drilled tubular rivet. One of the pros here may know more about them.

You should be able to drill them off if you do it carefully from the back and not let the drill go all the way through the hole and damage the shell holders. I suppose you could use double cap rivets from Tandy craft store. Those wouldn't look the same but would certainly do the job.

I was thinking that they were hollow rivets but after watching a few videos on hollow rivets I am not sure. I will def. research it some more. I know I could use other types of rivets but wanted to at least try to make it in the original style. Plan on using this with my original 1887 shotgun for hunting and possibly matches.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2021, 10:06:29 AM »
Might have to modify an old pair of pliers to hold them while you drill them. Assume you don’t care about the belt you can cut the belt back to get your pliers in there. Do some grinding on the nose on one side, keep the other side original length. Long nosed end on the bottom, concave cut back side [for the drill] on the top where you’re drilling. Might need to cut a radius on the jaw so as not to mar the inside of the brass tubes too. Just a suggestion. Use your drill press. They might come right apart.

Thanks. They may come apart easy. I will have to see. If not, maybe I will try something like that.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Davem

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2021, 10:09:15 AM »
Is there any value to the old belt? Might be better to just start anew and copy it.  What does the lettering say on the shot shell holders?  Never saw anything like that? Any idea on the date?

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2021, 11:15:34 AM »
Is there any value to the old belt? Might be better to just start anew and copy it.  What does the lettering say on the shot shell holders?  Never saw anything like that? Any idea on the date?

I am sure the belt has some monitary value but I want to actually wear it and use it. I don't know if I am skilled enough to remake the metal holders. I believe I could actually remake the belt though.

I have always been interested in the 1887 Winchester shotgun.
Texas John Slaughter is photographed holding his 1887 and wearing a belt like this for his brass shotgun shells. I asked and was told what type of belt it is and found one similar but the leather has about had it. I wanted to redo the leather so I could use the 12g holders.

I was told they are called Thimble belts.

Here are a couple more photos for you of John Slaughter holding his 1887 shotgun wearing this style of belt and also a patten photo of the belt.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Davem

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2021, 09:00:28 AM »
I've seen that photo but never closely examined it. I thought there were regular leather loops- thanks.

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2021, 10:37:17 AM »
Thanks for sharing this, I have never seen a belt like this with metal holders  :o :o

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2021, 11:08:40 AM »
I've seen that photo but never closely examined it. I thought there were regular leather loops- thanks.

Originally I looked at a differently colored photo of this image and could not make out the details. I thought it was a canvas belt with canvas loops but someone finally told me otherwise. Once I found a more clear photo of the image I could see that it was the brass holders.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2021, 11:09:09 AM »
Thanks for sharing this, I have never seen a belt like this with metal holders  :o :o

tEN wOLVES  ;D

Most welcome Ten Wolves

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2021, 08:52:12 AM »
A ball end carbide burr works best, drill bit can sometimes snag and spin the whole rivet.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2021, 09:01:24 AM »
A ball end carbide burr works best, drill bit can sometimes snag and spin the whole rivet.

Thanks for the tip.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2021, 10:52:54 AM »
Yes, thanks for that tip, Cliff. I've had rivets spin before and had to angle the drill to get it to cut even while the rivet was spinning. Spinning doesn't help the item you're trying to save. Next time I'll try a carbide burr.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com