Author Topic: Now it's about AIRCRAFT ... it was about BACKUPS  (Read 1951 times)

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1153
Now it's about AIRCRAFT ... it was about BACKUPS
« on: January 18, 2020, 05:46:40 PM »
I drifted the topic so bad,  I put the "BACKUPS" on its own thread
but the Aircraft part was so fun I am leaving that part here.....
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: DO YOUR OWN BACKUPS!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 11:26:48 AM »

And Hallaluya Prof.

Same thing with Airplanes.  So often, it's "Pilot Error" and "Controlled Flight into Terrain."  Some lustrum ago, my flight instructor told me "Never, Ever stop Flying the Airplane."  Doesn't matter what Blinks, Beeps, Honks or Yells.  FLY THE AIRPLANE.  All too often there is/was a failure of some sort and the crew was too busy finking out "What" "Precisely" was wrong.  Going through manuals and check lists instead of Flying the Airplane.  I'll never understand that.

I will also never understand giving up control to an electronic device that may not want to fly that day.  I don't fly anymore.  Period.

Offline Professor Marvel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Now its about Airplanes...
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 01:56:04 AM »
And Hallaluya Prof.

Same thing with Airplanes.  So often, it's "Pilot Error" and "Controlled Flight into Terrain."  Some lustrum ago, my flight instructor told me "Never, Ever stop Flying the Airplane."  Doesn't matter what Blinks, Beeps, Honks or Yells.  FLY THE AIRPLANE.  All too often there is/was a failure of some sort and the crew was too busy finking out "What" "Precisely" was wrong.  Going through manuals and check lists instead of Flying the Airplane.  I'll never understand that.

I will also never understand giving up control to an electronic device that may not want to fly that day.  I don't fly anymore.  Period.

OMG Coffin - you are describing the newest 737 engine design, the software needed to make it fly, and the crashes that software caused.

I've been out of THAT business ~ 30 years and I still can't stop caring.....

yhs
prof sad
Your Humble Servant

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[

Advertising

Re: Now it's about AIRCRAFT ... it was about BACKUPS
« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:24:30 AM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: DO YOUR OWN BACKUPS!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 04:22:18 PM »

I was also at one time closely employed to one of the most advanced Nav/Attack systems on the planet.  The system did unbelievable things.  Controlled the Airplane better than ANY human pilot.  I still don't trust flight control computers where the pilot is not actually connected to the flight control surfaces.  Just old fashioned I guess.

Actually, I have faith in the Military Nav/Attack systems.  I feel the commercial applications are somewhat sketchy.  I vote no confidence.

Offline Professor Marvel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Its still about airplanes
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2020, 08:24:07 PM »
I was also at one time closely employed to one of the most advanced Nav/Attack systems on the planet.  The system did unbelievable things.  Controlled the Airplane better than ANY human pilot.  I still don't trust flight control computers where the pilot is not actually connected to the flight control surfaces.  Just old fashioned I guess.

Actually, I have faith in the Military Nav/Attack systems.  I feel the commercial applications are somewhat sketchy.  I vote no confidence.

Yeah. Fly-by-wire sucks. No feedback to the pilot. I worked on the iforget part of the f14, f15,
F16 and the cool one was the f4g update - they  Lengthened the airframe and we gave the electronics an upgrade: weasel attack signal processor aka wild-weasel.

The F4G  was the "best" of the wild weasel program. The first ones used F105 Thuds and expected the
lead bird do be the "radar decoy" and dodge the incoming :-(  ... By the time we did the F4G, they had a dedicated back-seat EWO
and electronic radar-magic - it electronically sent out a "ghost image" about a mile ahead of itself. so when the adversary radar lit up,
the EWO was able to target it and send out a "fire and forget" gift pack assortment and any incoming was off target by over a mile  :-)

I always wanted to ride in one of those buckets, even knowing the pilot would try to make the civvy ralph in his mask ....
but when an opportunity arose on an 4fg  I COULDNT FIT! Just too damn tall...

twintail tomcat flash

wild weasel flash

Prof mrvl
Your Humble Servant

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[

Offline Professor Marvel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Its still about airplanes, lets see if that lasts
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 01:59:08 AM »
oh look ...
turns out the crap we built worked pretty good
https://theaviationgeekclub.com/incredible-story-f-4g-wild-weasel-dodged-6-sams-seconds-operation-desert-storm/

but now they switched over to F-16's and a computer replaced the EWO.

prf mvl
Your Humble Servant

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[

Offline Bryan Austin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 08:01:19 AM »
you guys can have your computer generated flying apparatus...lol  I'l stick to flying the 185!!!
Chasing The 44-40 Website: https://sites.google.com/view/44winchester

Chasing The 44-40 Forum: https://44-40.forumotion.com

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 09:31:29 AM »

Professor,  Funny you should mention the F-16.  Was a time a few Lustrum ago when there were those of us whom called the F-16 the "Electric Lawn Dart"  :o   Them things dug more holes than Gophers.

Bryan, where did I EVER say I liked "Computer Generated Flying Apparatus??"  Of course the mantra of "Never Stop Flying The Airplane" is useless when the flight controls of the Pilot are in no mechanical way connected to the control surfaces.  Ejection Seat Anyone??

Offline Bryan Austin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 11:51:18 AM »
You didn't nor was my reply meant as condescending......I just better stick to the simple stuff myself!!  ;D

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 12:04:31 PM »
I don' t believe this fellow had a problem with computer aided controls, simply tried to hoover in his own rotor wash. The cook that had hitched a ride jumped out at the last moment and was the only one injured.

001 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline Bryan Austin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 01:10:58 PM »
never mind   ::)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2020, 03:23:34 PM »

Hey Bryan  ;D

Take no offense.  Not at all pickin onya.  I learned to fly in a proper airplane myself.  Very proper, Two Wings, Covered with Fabric, Fabric onna fuselage had multi-color'd patches.  Big 'ol 450 HP Round Engine out front.  "Bull Sterman."  Crop Duster.  Some of the most fun flying there is.  Also some intense.  Caught all holy ned when I came back with plant matter stuck inna wheels.  Oh, almost forgot.  Real airplanes have tail wheels  ;D

Kent:  Just gobs of fun when you ride an "auto-rotation" in.  Helicopters DO NOT fly.  The beat the atmosphere into submission.  Pulled a tour as a professional target standing inna door of an Air Force Rescue Helicopter.  Adrenalin Junkie was I (still am, actually)

Offline Bryan Austin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2020, 03:52:25 PM »
Hey Bryan  ;D

Take no offense.  Not at all pickin onya.  I learned to fly in a proper airplane myself.  Very proper, Two Wings, Covered with Fabric, Fabric onna fuselage had multi-color'd patches.  Big 'ol 450 HP Round Engine out front.  "Bull Sterman."  Crop Duster.  Some of the most fun flying there is.  Also some intense.  Caught all holy ned when I came back with plant matter stuck inna wheels.  Oh, almost forgot.  Real airplanes have tail wheels  ;D

Kent:  Just gobs of fun when you ride an "auto-rotation" in.  Helicopters DO NOT fly.  The beat the atmosphere into submission.  Pulled a tour as a professional target standing inna door of an Air Force Rescue Helicopter.  Adrenalin Junkie was I (still am, actually)

We had a WACO ASO, fAIRCHILD 24g, cubs champs and flew a bunch more....Now I get paid to fly a 185 and I think I want to stay simple....thats really was I was referring to but.....lol

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com