Author Topic: Winchester/Miroku  (Read 2502 times)

Offline Trigger Hippy

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Winchester/Miroku
« on: January 17, 2020, 11:11:19 AM »
I was reading the not allowed PDF on the NCOWS web site and saw Winchester / Mirokus on the list.  I was kind of surprised.  Can someone explain why?

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
Re: Winchester/Miroku
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 12:38:23 PM »
I believe internals set up as short stroke, hence disallowed.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Johnson Barr

• Berger Sharpshooters, KVC, Blue River Regulators #129, Johnson County Rangers, GAF
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS Life, NCOWS Merchant
    • J Barr Texas
  • NCOWS #: L-173
  • GAF #: 830
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 12:39:46 PM »
Factory 'short-stroked' action. Short stroke modifications are dis-allowed for use in NCOWS Regional and National matches.
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:58:30 AM »

Offline Trigger Hippy

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 01:41:57 PM »
Dang!

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 02:01:10 PM »
NCOWS is still a great organization to believe in!  ;) ;D ;D

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 05:03:27 PM »
Plus 1  to what RCJ said...

The framers wisely avoided the whole race gun / trick of the month concept

It was at the time was controversial and somewhat a line in the sand for NCOWS , it was the right way to proceeded
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • AKA: Broken Nose Scotty
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 10:25:54 AM »
+2 to what RCJ said about NCOWS being a great origination, BUT, the Japchester has a very short "short stroke" with little or no "gamer" advantage.  Beautiful rifles, I voted at the Congress meeting during the National Convention to accept it, I was on the losing side. 
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 08:57:45 AM »
Glad the decision was made regarding the short stroke actions by NCOWS. I recently passed on the opportunity to purchase a couple of used Uberti 66/73s as they had short stroke kits and I didn't care to figure out what repair parts they might need in the future.
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2020, 11:46:17 AM »

I'm not a member of NCOWS.  Came close once or twice but "things" didn't quite work out.  However, I worked for 20+ years building CAS guns for the famous and infamous.  I've run a Short Stroke rifle for so long now, I can't run a OEM rifle for beans.  BUTT:

I do feel the equipment race was a huge mistake.  The biggest bang for the buck in a CAS gun is a GOOD, QUALITY action job.  Amazing how fast Henry, 1866, 1873, 1892 and Fish can run with a good action job.  Same same with hand guns.  Short stroke an SA??  GIMMIE A BREAK.

So long as the rifle is built on a short stroke "kit" fixing it is simple.  Pull the screw, shake it over a trashcan and put OEM parts back in.  Cut-n-Weld will require a few more parts.

It's my understanding, NCOWS allows a quality action job.  I laude NCOWS for disallowing an equipment race.  Unfortunately, SASS has been hopeless for ever.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2020, 12:20:32 PM »
Action jobs yes , alternate material lifter blocks and short stroke toggles & levers no.

I purchased a  new to me 73 short rifle that had been smoothed and tricked by the Cowboy & Indian shop.... it was done by Jim Bowie for previous owner.

it was simple matter to replace the toggles & lever with OEM and the gun was still as slick as ever but NCOWS legal

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2020, 12:51:27 PM »
I plan to join NCOWS, probably this year and hope to make it up to a Berger Sharpshooters match.  After a lot of years I finally shortstroked my .357 '73 for SASS, but my 44-40 carbine will remain stock.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2020, 01:11:37 PM »
I plan to join NCOWS, probably this year and hope to make it up to a Berger Sharpshooters match.  After a lot of years I finally shortstroked my .357 '73 for SASS, but my 44-40 carbine will remain stock.

The Bergers are great people to shoot with, Abilene. They'll treat you right seven ways from Sunday.

RCJ
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2020, 02:12:44 PM »
Berger's are the best !   do it Abilene you'll have great time

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2020, 01:35:56 PM »
I'm not a member of NCOWS.  Came close once or twice but "things" didn't quite work out.  However, I worked for 20+ years building CAS guns for the famous and infamous.  I've run a Short Stroke rifle for so long now, I can't run a OEM rifle for beans.  BUTT:

I do feel the equipment race was a huge mistake.  The biggest bang for the buck in a CAS gun is a GOOD, QUALITY action job.  Amazing how fast Henry, 1866, 1873, 1892 and Fish can run with a good action job.  Same same with hand guns.  Short stroke an SA??  GIMMIE A BREAK.

So long as the rifle is built on a short stroke "kit" fixing it is simple.  Pull the screw, shake it over a trashcan and put OEM parts back in.  Cut-n-Weld will require a few more parts.

It's my understanding, NCOWS allows a quality action job.  I laude NCOWS for disallowing an equipment race.  Unfortunately, SASS has been hopeless for ever.

Problem with the Winchester/Miroku is it IS the oem parts that have the shorter stroke than an original Winchester 73.

Sad really that they didn't just stick with the original design and let the race gun folks offer the aftermarket parts if there was a call for them. As it is they have a rifle design that does not imitate the original design but is not a short enough stroke to satisfy the race gun crowd.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline OklaTom

• NCOWS Judge, NCOWS Life 172, GAF 719, SASS 73114, NRA Life, TSRA, Berger Sharp Shooters, Blue River Regulators, Kansas Vigilance Committee
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Bryan Buck
    • 3B Shooting Supply
  • SASS #: 73114
  • NCOWS #: L-172
  • GAF #: 719
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2020, 01:45:49 PM »

I look forward to seeing you shoot with my home club!
"I druther have a pocket full of rocks than an empty gun..."

OklaTom@att.net

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2020, 02:23:28 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement, y'all.  The Berger Memorial Match in particular looks like fun, unfortunately that is the same weekend as the annual match (which has also been SASS state BP championship) at my home club (Green Mountain Regulators).  But since BSS shoots 2 to 3 times a month, there is plenty of opportunity for me to get up there.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com