Author Topic: How many 44 conversions were made?  (Read 2003 times)

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
How many 44 conversions were made?
« on: December 29, 2019, 07:17:41 AM »
I've read there were around 5000 46 rimfire conversions done, but does anyone know how many were done in 44 centerfire? Thanks

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
Re: How many 44 conversions were made?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 09:49:53 AM »
The best answer is:  Nobody knows.

Remington built great arms but the record keeping was awful. They not even sure how many 1875s were made.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 12:26:35 PM »
Galloway,
As has been suggested, a difficult subject to answer!
I have two original 5 shot NM 1863's... made within the first half of the 1870's.
Both were made with the new long cylinder and were probably set up in the Remington .46 rim fire.
One was altered to shoot .22 rim fire by installing sleeve in both the chambers of the cylinder and the barrel to .22 cal.
The other is a gunsmith altered version of the same revolver but set up as a center fire 5 shooter, I don't know what ammo this alteration was intended to use.
When Remington went to the 6 shot .44's (heel bullet) they used a two part cylinder based on the older cap and ball type cylinders in both rim fire and center fire ammo.
Apparently Remington had lots of NM 1863 frames on hand and will still be offering cartridge conversion in their catalog into as late as 1889.
I hope this info helps?
My best,
 Blair 
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:32:17 AM »

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2019, 02:28:30 PM »
Thanks guys i guess they were reasonably popular since they were mentioned on the box of the 44 martin ctg. I did not know they were offered as late as 89 and i thank you for that info. As for bad record keeping i guess that keeps it interesting!  ;D

Offline Jake MacReedy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 02:53:22 PM »
According to McDowell, in his book about conversions, there were 400 of the "CA" marked .44 conversions built.  After that, there were an untold number converted to fire the .44 centerfire Martin cartridges, as well as other centerfires.  As stated above, no one really knows!

Regards,
Ron

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2020, 06:22:47 AM »
The Revolver that I spoke of that was converted to .22 cal. is one of those large "CA" marked Remington's with a number of 317 afterwards. It has also been Nickel plated.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 08:22:49 PM »
Because of the proliferation of Remington NMAs converted by private gunsmiths and armories, it is impossible to tell.  The NMA had an advantage over the Colts because of the ease of removing the cylinder to reload cartridges.  There were many LCC (Long Cylinder Conversions) converted to .44 Rimfire, with no loading port, relying on removing the cylinder to reload.  Two NMA cylinders would be used to fabricate a cartridge cylinder for a rimfire, and no other modification was necessary.  One just replaced the cylinder with the percussion cylinder when no rimfire ammo was available.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com