Author Topic: Who wants the Old Vaquero back?  (Read 43386 times)

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Who wants the Old Vaquero back?
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2008, 03:19:15 PM »
Most of the gamers I've seen prefer the older model because the extra weight keeps the recoil down. I've had both and find that I tend to slip the hammer less with the smaller frame guns. Doesn't make sense as I have very big hands, but thats the way it is.

The funny thing is everyone was moaning that the vaquero was too big, bring out teh Colt sized frame, etc, etc. Now people are moaning about the lack of a big framed one. I'm sorely tempted to buy back my 44mag old Vaquero as it is languishing n te shop I traded it in on the pair of new models in 45Colt. If I could only have one or the other for cowboy action, I'd go the new ones, if I could only have one for working stock and riding the range, I'd opt for the old girls for stout loads.

Now that's exactly the point that I'm gettin' at! When I started this post I wasn't trying to say that Ruger should drop the New Vaquero, not in the slightest. Now what fourfingers just said here really struck a chord with me. The NMV would be better suited for cowboy action while the OMV would be the workhorse gun. I feel alittle angry at myself for not getting a brand new OMV in time. Just the notion of owning a classic-looking revolver with the strength of the Blackhawk is something that appeals to the cowboy in me. Only it feels as if I've been denied the opportunity, and it might never come again.
A work in progress.

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2008, 03:55:07 PM »
Just keep your eyes peeled pard, I'm sure one will turn up if you wait long enough and wish hard enough. Took me a year or a little better but I got my second one! :)
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2008, 05:12:14 PM »
Ya never know where one will pop up.
     Mine was a range rental and not fer sale.  Talked the guy inta lettin it go fer 50 bucks more than a New Blackhawk.  I thought it was a good deal and have never regretted it.  Some others might say I was a fool.  That's fine with me.

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 06:49:35 PM »

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2008, 08:53:50 AM »
I own 4 old model Vaqueros.  All a caliber 45 Colt.  A matched pair in SS with 7.5 inch barrels, (see picture at left <---).  I also own a 3.75 inch SS Bird's Head model and a 5.5 inch Bisley model.  Now, it did take some getting used to as far a loading them goes, but I have slightly larger than normal hands so all 4 just fit my hands better than the new "Colt sized Vaqs" do.  Would I like to see the big old models back in production?  No, not really.  Since they're out of production the old models are gaining in collector value, particularly the BH and Bisley models. 

As a post script...  It was my understanding that the new models were built strong enough to handle the same heavy loads as the old models.  Am I wrong on this?   ???
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2008, 10:17:07 AM »
To the best of my knowledge---- yes you're mistaken The frames are "Colt" sized on the NVs thus not as strong as the old Vaqueros. The "older reloading manuals have a section fo rRuger, Freedom Arms and T/C only When Ruger stopped producing the Original Vaqueros  The more up-to-date manuals stopped carring that section as far as I know.

CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Wild Ben Raymond

• Wild Ben Raymond
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2008, 10:34:57 AM »
Fer my money, the new model is a vast improvement over the older one.  I have a brace of each and think the new model is much faster, smoother and easier to handle than the original.  But, I'll say it again, I sure wish they'd bring a full array of calibers to the market!!!!!  Including, 32 w.c.f., 38 w.c.f., and 44 w.c.f.  Each of these should, of course, be dual cylinder models allowing for conversion to .32 H&R, .40 S&W, and .44 Special, respectively.  If Ruger would fill out the choice of calibers, I see no reason to go back to the clunker Old Model Vaquero.  While I'm on my soapbox, it would be really nice to have a new model size/weight pistol in .22 rimfire so I could spend less time reloading and more time practicing.

Is Davidson's listening????
I'll second that reply, as I really like the New Vaquaro's and would really like a set in 32-20. 

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2008, 12:33:13 PM »
Shot a new model yesterday fer the first time.  I've held em before but never had the opportunity ta pump lead.  Now I can honestly say, I wouldn't trade my OMV fer nothin.  I shoot it with .357's, an the range master would only give me .38's fer the new model.  The New model kicked more with .38's than the OMV does with the magnum loads.  They must kick like hell in .45.  I did fine on the target with it and my wife LOVED it, it just didn't feel right to me.  Didn't like the sights either, but that may have just been the particular gun, so I fired the rest of my rounds gunfighter style.  It's a good gun, just not my prefference if I had to choose on er the other. 
     I did like loading and unloading on the "click" and the hammer pull was much lighter.  I wish Ruger had just changed the cylinder timing on the old model to load like the new ones and left the changes at that.  Mebbe a "New Old Model" is in order.

Leo 

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Eight Finger

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2008, 02:59:49 PM »
I'd like to see the OV back in production if only to lower the cost!  OV models are startin to get pricey.  I started out with the NV and liked them a lot till I shot the OV.  I now have two sheriffs models OV that I shoot matches with.  I don't have a thumb on my left hand  and cock and shoot one-handed and the OV grip is more positive for me.  I like ALL Vaqueros though, and figure it's what fits ya best that counts.  All mine are .45 Colt and I'm sure they'll get passed down for several generations, they are all hell for stout!

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2008, 10:48:21 AM »
ME, ME and ME!!!! If you have read any of my posts so far you will know why. Anybody got any spares and think they can get them past UK customs, they will be gratefully received, cared for, stroked and fondled.....well, a guy can dream!!
I used to have one, Blue, 4.75" barrel in .45 LC, hardly used before it was cruelly, (almost surgically) removed and......MELTED DOWN (sob)
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2008, 03:13:47 PM »
Those last two words just made me cringe. :'(  Just aint right.

Roland Deschain

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2008, 09:55:37 PM »
Those last two words just made me cringe. :'(  Just aint right.

Leo... You ain't kiddin'.
A work in progress.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2008, 11:51:41 AM »
I mentioned earlier that maybe a "New Old Model" was in order.  Ruger seems to be paying some attention and have released a limited run of New Models in stainless with an Old Model style hammer.  Problem is they're only making 1000 of them.  Gettin one would be like winning the lottery.  They're supposed to be designed for fast draw.

Leo

Roland Deschain

Offline Grey Beard

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2008, 08:32:09 PM »
I lucked out on the weekend and was able to pickup a pair of old model SS Vaqueros in 357. ;D ;D ;D  They have been very gently used and tuned by Bob Munden with the trigger,and action worked, match grade 4-5/8" barrels, eagle gunfighter gips and the sights widened.  They ended up costing me just a touch less than it would have cost for a new pair of the Nv's.  I have 2 pairs of NV's in both 357 and 45 so soon I will be able to compare them side by side.  I really wanted 45's but the deal was to good to pass up.  I hope to have them home for this weekends club shoot.
GB
Grey Beard

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2008, 10:22:53 PM »
That .357 is nothin ta fret about.  45's er cool an more original, but wait til ya start hittin the the targets with the magnum.  An in a pinch ya can just fill em up with .38's.  Not my choice but they work too.
     You got some good guns ;)

Leo

Roland Deschain

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2008, 12:57:57 AM »
That .357 is nothin ta fret about.  45's er cool an more original, but wait til ya start hittin the the targets with the magnum.  An in a pinch ya can just fill em up with .38's.  Not my choice but they work too.
     You got some good guns ;)

Leo

Well Leo, hate to say it , but I sold that New Vaquero at the gun show last weekend. I won't bore you with the details but I needed to bring my savings back up to the desired mark. I got a quote on brand new Ruger Blackhawks in .45 Colt, and all I can say is that the price is right! Not only that, but I'm saving up for the new American Made Remington Model 1875 revolver, and you know that's gonna be expensive. A bright note however. Last Monday I got to tinker with a .44 Magnum Old Vaquero and that was a sweet gun. When I rotated the cylinder, it sounded pretty darn smooth, and the whole thing felt incredible. It was almost as smooth as a Colt SAA! Now I understand alot of RATS prefer the New Vaquero over the Old Vaquero, but I want to leave you with this thought. When it comes to Rugers, I demand a gun that's built to take it all day, and still keep going. The Old Vaquero I saw was the hogleg to end all hoglegs, and it died a premature death. Everyone whose is a RAT knows that Rugers Are the Toughest Sixguns, but the New Vaquero does not live up to the legacy, and I no longer accept it as a true Ruger. Whatever qualms some of you had or have about the Old Vaquero, all I can say is that not every gun is going to live up to the expectations of the individual, and I feel that if the folks at Ruger Firearms paid close attention to this thread, well who knows.
A work in progress.

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2008, 07:16:01 AM »
The folks at Ruger, IMHO, no longer give a rat's behind (no pun intended) as to what a dedicated segment of the population would like; they, like the majority of those in business, are chaseing the not-so-almighty-dollar. I can't blame them for this, but I know not to look to them for any decent "cowboy" guns in the near future. THey discontinued the Vaquero, and the ROA and the "old model" Blackhawk in favor of the new unimproved NV & NMB and increased the price on the "new models!" I like my Rugers and I don't plan on trading them in ever. God forbid that I may have to give them up because I don't believe that they can ever be replaced.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242

Shane

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2008, 12:33:43 PM »
I'll stick with my OMV an never regret the price I payed fer it.

Leo

Roland Deschain

Offline Grey Beard

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2008, 04:43:19 PM »
I'm thinking mine are keepers as well Leo.  I had them out at the range and ran about 150 rounds through the pair and I'm extremly happy.  ;D ;D ;D  They both shoot to the same point of impact with the load I worked up for my NV's and when I switched to a 12:00 hold they consistantly put the rounds into the bullseye.  A bit of tweeking on the load and they should get even better.  The only down side was one of the springs for the latch that holds the cylinder pin in place seems a bit on the weak side.   I see Wolff makes an after market replacement so hopefully I can order a pair, at times getting parts for anything firearm related is a real PITA up here in Canada.  I liked the extra weight and balance with the 4 5/8 barrel of the OM's and the Eagle Gunfighter grips feel great.  Yup I'm keeping them ;D ;D ;D
GB   

Grey Beard

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2008, 05:22:50 PM »
Funny thing readin all this over is that I didn't even truly know what I was getting till after I bought it.  The guy at the gunshop handed me a new model and it just didn't feel right after shooting the OM.  While I was sitting out my 10 day waiting period, I did some research and truley realized what I was getting.  Sometimes ya just get blessed.

Leo

Roland Deschain

Offline SlimPigguns

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2008, 08:15:46 AM »
I have 2 Vacqueros in .44Mag which I bought second hand. I would have bought new if they were available, they aren't so Ruger missed 2 sales, as I imagine they miss many others. - Pete

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com