Author Topic: Qualified with TTN sxs Model 1878 hammered coach gun  (Read 6956 times)

Offline Baron von Haltomstadt

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Qualified with TTN sxs Model 1878 hammered coach gun
« on: November 14, 2006, 06:49:11 PM »
On a lark, today, I ran the annual shotgun qualification course with my sxs coach gun. I figured it would't hurt as I often have it with me and the others don't know much about cowboy shooting, other than I do it. They prefer to shoot police competition shooting. It surprised most when both barrels fired slugs to the same point of impact, 1" left and 1" down from dead center center mass at 25 yds. I bettered all the high dollar Benellis and Remingtons. I couldn't keep up with their speed (the duty rounds won't drop free like my Winchester AAs do - and couldn't have kept up even if they had), but I kept within the time alloted. OO Buck also patterned dead center center mass. I was pleased!   
Terry  
AKA: Baron von Haltomstadt
(Formerly: Marshal Dusty Drywash)
North Central Texas Territories
BOLD RATS SASS NRA-Life USFA-CSS STORM SCORRS BOSS

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
Re: Qualified with TTN sxs Model 1878 hammered coach gun
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 07:41:51 PM »
Now that ...is just way cool !

You ought to send that to Walt Johnson
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline West Longer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 07:42:53 PM »
I bet that did open some eyes when ya pulled that baby out! ;D
Happy Trails & Shoots
West Longer

SASS 46427  LASSOOS #77
Bold 339       BOSS #143
Warthog
NRA
SUDDS #52
RATS #205
P.W.D.F.R. #114

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:48:00 AM »

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 03:26:19 PM »
In 1996, I once qualified on the SO quarterly handgun course with my Schofield .45 Colt!  I didn't even use 25-5 speed loaders.  Just grabbed two at a time from the belt loops.  Surprised the hell out of the Rangemaster, but he thought it was cool!  Then I qualified with my 10 mm Glock.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 08:57:33 AM »
In 1996, I once qualified on the SO quarterly handgun course with my Schofield .45 Colt!  I didn't even use 25-5 speed loaders.  Just grabbed two at a time from the belt loops.  Surprised the hell out of the Rangemaster, but he thought it was cool!  Then I qualified with my 10 mm Glock.

I did something similar last year when I qualified with my pair of .45 Colt, Ruger Vaqueros (Old Model) stainless, 4-5/8" barrels with birdshead grips, right after qualifying with my Glock M-22, .40 S&W (all scoring 100% hits). 

This year, I had limited time to spend at the qualification range, so I qualified with my Glock, then I ran through the course again and qualified with my .45 Colt, S&W N frame, stainless, 4" barrel with Hogue grip. First time around, I missed one reloading sequence in the time alloted when trying to reload from belt loops (darn arthritis again, I think - have to blame something <g>) so I had to do it again. I reloaded from the back pocket that time and completed the sequence just as time expired.

As previously noted, I ran the shotgun course with my TTN. I had three patrol rifles to qualify with also (Ruger Mini 14 .223 bullpup, DPMS carbine in 6.8SPC, and FN FAL in .308). Had I not been pressed for time, I would have tried the rifle course with my .45-70 Winchester 1886. As it turned out, I had cycling problems with the FAL and used what time I had dealing with that issue (I have never had problems with this rifle before - it's my favorite. It truly surprised me when it wouldn't extract and cycle). The onsite armorer decided the problem was too dry a bolt. I remain skeptical and will make many test shoots after going through the entire disassembly, cleaning, inspecting, repairing as needed, & reassembly process.

Although we are only judged "pass" or "needs improvement", I scored a 100% hits with the Glock, the S&W, the TTN, the Remington 870, & the DPMS. I managed a 95% with the Mini 14 bullpup.  I withdrew the FAL after 5 rounds and will run the course again once I am confident of a return to proper functioning.

I hope I am not boring everyone. I have no one else to ramble on with.....
Terry  

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 11:29:19 AM »
Baron.

A bit off topic, but how do you like the 6.8 SPC.  I am partial to the old M193 ball at 3300 FPS from a 20".  The dang M855 62s from 14.5 in M4 don't break up like the old 16 rounds do.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 03:22:56 PM »
TL,

I don't know if I have enough time with the 6.8 x 43 SPC to be a judge or even offer an opinion that will be valuable. I bought the DPMS as part of a group dept buy. The DPMS rifle is well made. Mine is a flattop with a Wilson Combat iron sight providing a mount rail for a MicroDot 1.5-4.5x20 illuminated scope. I also have the collapsable stock with a tactical sling. The AR-15 / M16 style weapons are not my favorite. Back to the 6.8 SPC. I look at the round as being a .270 Win 'light' (my own definition). Here are some stats that show why I think its better than some and not as good as others:
Caliber         Bullet weight   Velocity @ 200 yds  Energy @ 200 yards
.223             55 gr              2304                       648
6.8x43 SPC 115 gr             2285                     1333
.270 Win      150 gr             2183                     1587
7.63x39        125                1783                       882
30-30 Win     150                1605                       848
.308 Win       180                2198                     1930   

Now, considering maximum force applied to target, I prefer the .308, hence my enthusiasm for my FAL (I also like the overall fit and concept of the FAL. I believe I would also enjoy a SOCOM 16, if I were to luck into one).

Considering the availability of AR accessories, the AR-15 type weapons clearly have the market cornered. You can buy most anything you want to add to or modify this series. These are now offered in a variety of calibers. When I bought the 6.8 SPC it was ballyhoo'd as the best compromise chambering for Law Enforcement, having the same approximate velocity as the .223 plus a down range energy of twice as much. In reality ammo was almost non-existent. Last year, I was lucky to get 1st quality ammo to sight in, qualify, and load two spare magazines.  Let me digress here: high quality AR-15 / M16 magazines are $10 ea.,  1st quality 6.8 SPC magazines are $43 ea! This year ammo is more plentiful, but still somewhat limited. Bullet choices remain limited also. The bright spot is Hornady redesigning the casing for improved functioning (in all 6.8 SPC weapons) and going into production. I note that I have never had a functioning issue with this gun. I haven't shot anything of substance to evaluate the effectiveness of the 6.8 SPC round. It punches paper well. The only effective auto window glass penetrating rounds I have used are the Federal LE TRU bonded  rounds in .223 & .308. They are awesome! If they come out with a LE TRU bonded bullet in 6.8 SPC, I believe it would substantially outperform the .223.

So, that all said, I don't carry the 6.8 SPC except on on rare occassion. It spends most of its life under my bed with flash light attachments to use for utility in power outages and for possible personal defense (if I run out of Glock ammo or the perp is at some longer distance). I qualify with it once a year so I can carry it and to be qualified if I have to take up another officer's weapon. I am currently planning on mounting it in my Yamaha Rhino and leaving it there.

I prefer my FAL.
Terry  

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 09:45:48 AM »
I talked to a SF type back from Afghanistan.  He said (speaking from his own experience) that the 6.8 has more thump than the M4s, and takes down goblins with one hit, usually.  M4s with the 62 grain at 2300 fps aren't traveling fast enough to break up like the old M16 rounds did (3200 fps) , and are usually too stable to yaw much in the wound. He said M4 rounds go through like an ice pick if you don't hit something hard.  M193 and M855 have to exceed 2650 fps to break up reliably in the wound channel.

I will refrain from going Off Topic anymore, just wanted to close this sub-thread.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com