Author Topic: Winchester Safety pin??  (Read 1304 times)

Offline Cannonman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Winchester Safety pin??
« on: December 10, 2020, 08:47:09 AM »
I have a few original 73's and one reproduction. The reproduction has the standard safety stud or pin that protrudes just behind the trigger but it requires me to squeeze the lever to fire the gun. I understand that the purpose of this is to make sure gun is in battery and will not fire when lever is not fully home.  the originals have this same safety feature but don't prevent the lever from resting on the frame but the reproduction rests with the lever off the frame by about a 1/4 inch.. Id like it to function like the originals if possible. Is that doable?

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Winchester Safety pin??
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 10:16:07 AM »

:) Cannonman  ;)

Why, YES . . . . actually.  Your reproduction is probably a Uberti, from Italy.  The "pin" you mention is actually the lower tab for the Trigger Block Safety bar.  In the Italian gun, the Safety Bar is powered by a rather "stout" spring.  The spring needs replaced by an after-market spring, from Cowboys and Indian Store, Pioneer Gunworks, or Slix Springs.

If your reproduction is a Miroku from Japan, the safety is powered by a wire spring.  That spring needs modified or replaced as well.  I believe a replacement is available from Shotgun Boogie.

Offline Cannonman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 01:10:33 PM »
Really appreciate the info.. Good to know I can do that.  I will have to figure out how to access that spring but I am sure there is a video to cover it.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:43:24 PM »

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 01:23:58 PM »
On my oldest Uberti '73, the spring for the lever safety broke and fell out years ago.  The safety still works (gravity), so I've never bothered replacing the spring.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 10:09:21 AM »

:)  Cannonman  ;)

Just remove the Butt Stock.  The safety parts are in the lower tang.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 10:05:42 PM »
Uberti has recently changed their guns to a coil wire spring like the aftermarket springs. Still stiffer than the aftermarket but I recently discovered a good twist with a set of pliers and no need to replace them.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2020, 11:39:57 AM »

:)  Hi Cliff !!   ;)

I find that interesting.   I've been retired for several years now, and haven't stayed current with the changes in Uberti Guns.  Uberti needed to make that change for just about forever.

Offline Cannonman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2020, 04:23:21 PM »
My Uberti was purchased in late 2015 or early 2016.... It will be interesting to see if my rifle has that change present.. I am obviously going to peek first.
Thanks to all for your helpful info.

Bill

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com