Author Topic: 1911 Magazine Release  (Read 7633 times)

Offline Two-Bits

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1911 Magazine Release
« on: May 17, 2015, 10:14:05 PM »
This 1911 is a R!A GI model.  I would like to replace the spring inside the magazine release button and have 2 questions.

1.  Do I need to do a complete tear down to get to the release button out?  
2.  Has anyone done it?

Thanks!
_______
Two-Bits

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: 1911 Magazine Release
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 11:48:26 PM »
No - not at all...

Just remove the magazine and clear the piece.

Then, get an appropriately-sized small screwdriver.

Now, depress the magazine button completely to the frame - insert the screwdriver into the screw slot of the lock and turn.

That will cause the spring to compress and become locked.

Remove the assembly, use the screwdriver to turn the lock and release the spring - then change the spring.

Reassemble in reverse order.

I don't know why you'd think you need to change that spring - they almost never break - but if you're going for a faster magazine drop for speed, you're making the piece less safe.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Two-Bits

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 12:14:05 AM »
St. George:
Thanks.  If it makes it less safe, then I won't do it.  The reason why I thought about replacing it was it seems like the spring in there is real stiff and because I have small hands, its hard for me to reach that button and depress it easily.  I almost have to turn the gun 90 degrees to get enough pressure on that button to release the mag.  I thought maybe a lighter spring would help.
_______
Two-Bits

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:34:57 AM »

Offline Thumb Buster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 08:57:38 AM »
One thing I noticed about my RIA 1911 is that the magazine release was dry when I first removed it.   There was also residue in the frame and on the body of the release much like what was in the firing pin tunnel and the extractor tunnel.  Putting just a very small amount of lube on the release has made it easier.  Hope that helps.   
"Those who pound their guns into plowshears will plow for those who didn't"  --Thomas Jefferson

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 10:52:51 AM »
It's 'supposed' to be stiff.

That's so it holds a fully-loaded magazine securely for a soldier's weapon as he runs, jumps, crawls, makes parachute landings, kicks in doors, and any other highly physical activity that a combat soldier engages in, because if it retains the magazine, the soldier still has a viable sidearm to depend on until he can find an undamaged long gun.

It was designed to be a weapon - not for comfort in a game.

That said - lube it, as has been suggested - it might help - but what 'will' help will be more range practice, and more dry-firing time - getting used to 'that' piece in 'your' shooting hand.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Blackfoot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 09:02:16 AM »
You don't want it to be too easy to release.  If the spring is too light you might find your magazine on the ground when you think it is in the gun. :-[

Blackfoot

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 09:49:58 AM »
Brownells sells a five-spring, lightened mag release pack.  Number five in the pack is "stock" and they go down from there to very light.

With a standard height release button, I've found even the lightest spring will secure the magazine.  But, I've found #2 and #3 to be more to my liking.

The lightened springs make a real difference in simplifying the operation of the  magazine release while on the clock.  

The five spring pack is reasonably priced and it a great way for you to find out for yourself what weight works for you.  Mag release springs are very easy to change, once you get the feel of the bayonet catch on your particular gun.  Take the opportunity of the disassembly to smooth the bearing surfaces of the catch.

Offline Howdy Doody

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 09:57:51 AM »
I cut two coils off my mag release spring and have less tension and never have had a mag issue with colts stainless mags. Recently I decided that my original style slide release was a bit hard to operate. I profiled it to the slide cutout a bit (that is some hardened steel right there) and polished the track the detent rides on. Not much difference really. Then I noticed that inside the frame at top of magwell the portion of the release that rides there was dry as a bone as I clean that area, but never in my infinite wisdom, have I ever lubed it. I put a drop of oil between that ear and frame and worked the oil drop of oil in a few times and holy cow, what a difference. What felt like a lot of tension smoothed right out. Go figure. From now on I will add a drop to it and I keep kicking myselffor not oiling it. Now my foot hurts. Maybe a drop of Breakfree on my foot will help  ::)
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Offline Boggus Deal

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2019, 05:07:40 AM »
St. George:
Thanks.  If it makes it less safe, then I won't do it.  The reason why I thought about replacing it was it seems like the spring in there is real stiff and because I have small hands, its hard for me to reach that button and depress it easily.  I almost have to turn the gun 90 degrees to get enough pressure on that button to release the mag.  I thought maybe a lighter spring would help.
A lighter mag catch spring will NOT in any way make the gun less safe! Put a lighter spring in it. These are firearms we use in a game. Make it usable for the game.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 07:01:14 AM »
Other than a too strong spring, the only other catch issue I?ve had was with the bottom of the edge of the catch that locks the mag into the gun. I had one that needed the angle reshaped as the mag was hitting it square and there was no real angle there to cam the catch out of the way. Made for a very hard reload.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com