Author Topic: Frontiersman  (Read 13290 times)

Offline FuriousFritz

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2016, 03:58:36 AM »
You´re faster with your answer... :o

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2016, 04:12:53 AM »
Sorry, FF, don't want to highjack your thread!
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline FuriousFritz

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2016, 05:09:15 AM »
LJW, no problem ;D

what i have seen so far, CAShooters are one big family  ;)

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 10:32:27 PM »

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 170
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2016, 05:23:25 AM »
And a few of them are "red headed stepchildren".  :o ;D ;) wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline FuriousFritz

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2016, 05:30:31 AM »
Frontiersman requires a MIP of 60, the same as SASS  8)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2016, 05:59:49 AM »
Thank you both  :) 
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2016, 06:24:44 AM »
BDS "CAS" 1870 category requires MIP 80 für percussion revolvers (and hammered SG min. 16 ga plus lever gun to model 1873 (1869, 1866, 1873), min. caliber .40/MIP 120)
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2016, 12:28:43 PM »
I'd do as Coffinmaker suggested, sounds like maybe you already have though and shot both the Remington and Colt styles, see what feels best to you. I started out with Colts (in fact a 51 Navy in 44 from Euroarms), then went to Dragoons, 1860's, and a Walker.. Did buy a 51 Navy and 61 Navy in 36, but like the 44's better. I have a Pietta 58 Rem in 44 that I like, but the two makes do have a different feel to them. The Rems sit higher in my hand than the Colts, but if I had started out with Rems, they may have been my favorite. Some shooters swear by them. They do have greater strength with the top strap and ease of cylinder take off. I've a Uberti Rem kit I bought sometime back that still isn't put together, on my list. I've had best luck with Remington #10 caps, they seem to stay on the stock nipples best before and after firing. Don't have to much problem with caps finding their way into the action, but never say never. I did buy some SlixShots recently, but haven't had a chance to try them yet.

I like the longer grip of the Dragoon, Walker and 1860 over the 51 Navy and even the 73' Peacemaker and have it as grips in my two Richard/Mason conversions and Open Top. Feels better in my hand than the Navy size grip. After having lost my first cap n ball, the 51 Navy in 44 in an accidental fire incident, I bought another a while back, a Pietta. It fills my hand better than the regular size Navy frame/grips. and as I said before, like that 44 caliber, .454 ball over around 30 grains of FFF. The Pietta Navy 44 has a more filling grip than the regular 51 Navy 36 set up.

I tried to download a picture of a top strap Colt Dragoon that was made back in the Colt factory R&D shop back some time in the 1800's. Not sure of the date, had to be prior to the 1873 Colt. If you can obtain a the book by James Servin called "Colt Firearms, from 1836" it is on page 93. I've seen it in other books also possibly by Wilson and/or Adler. It is a ungainly looking monster, suppose that's why it was never put into production as far as I know. I believe several types such as this are in the Colt Museum in Connecticut. There is another picture of another Dragoon with a big ratchet lever also. Pre-1860 Army I assume. A lot of those experimental guns along with drawings and information about them I've read were destroyed in the big Colt plant fire in the 1860's. When I tried to download, I couldn't get the picture downsized to attach to this post. A computer wizard, I am not!!!!!!

Sie haben einen guten Tag und gutes SchieBen zu Ihnen!!!!  Crow Choker
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2016, 03:47:34 PM »
I have shot Remington's in NSSA competitions and they are excellent revolvers though not as stylist as Colts.
They have two different grip configurations with one being a much fuller hand filling grip and more confortable
To hold and shoot. The .36 belt model is really nice to hold.

45 Dragoon

« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2016, 06:50:11 PM »
C.C. and uh C.C. ,

That is the " ugly" one, I'll try to find the "good" one! Lol!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

OK, till I find a pic, the top two drawings show the more normal Dragoon with the "ugly" one tagging along.
Notice the locking feature at the frame/barrel lug area. This is necessary since there is no wedge. (Need to rethink my lug lock!!)

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2016, 10:28:58 PM »
The picture of the 'Dragoon' in Cheatin Charlie's post is same as the one in Servins book I tried to post. Oddity under the picture it says Colt Navy 36 caliber, but the under picture information indicates it's a Dragoon in 44 caliber. Servins book indicated it was 44 caliber. There was another Dragoon included in the picture that had a oversize ratchet similar to a 1860, but way bigger and looks as if it was an add on at the last minute. Looked through all my Colt, pre-1900 books on firearms tonight looking for a larger picture of a top strap Colt Dragoon I've seen, but couldn't find it. Agree with ya 45 Dragoon, the picture Charlie posted and the one I saw is of the top strap Dragoon is one ugly handgun, big Ol' boat anchor in disguise.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com