Author Topic: 73 or 66 , WHY ???  (Read 11771 times)

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
73 or 66 , WHY ???
« on: January 12, 2019, 07:55:04 AM »
 I am thinking about trading for a 73 ( 44-40 ) must be 24 " or a 66 ( 44-40 ) must be 24" , your personal choice and why one over the other .

smoke'm if ya' got'm ,, Hootmix.

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
Re: 73 or 66 , WHY ???
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 10:55:59 AM »
I have one of each, in 44-40 of coarse. The 66 is a 24" rifle, the 73 a SRC. The 73 is slicked up for SASS, and I couldn't be happier with it. The 66 I used for CAS for years, albeit heavy it is very accurate. If I was forced to choose I'd keep the 73. Fortunately I don't have to.
King Medallion

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 12:22:10 PM »
Hey King .. I have a 92 src ,, 44-40 of course,, I just shoot paper & steel ,, but I have a hankering for  73 ,,but for what i'm doing a 66 might do , just wonder if there was ( is ) a down side to the 66's .

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:38:46 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 12:25:22 PM »
Well .... Well well ..... PLEASE allow me to stick my toe in this pond.  Wheeeeeeeeee ...... Plop .. Splash.

Lemmie see, with one difference, the mechanical parts of the action are EXACTLY the same.  That difference is a Trigger Block Safety in the 1873.  That is the extent of mechanical difference.  This holds true for ALL the Uberti Toggle Link Rifles.  '73, '66 and Henry are ALL identical inside.

Obvious differences on the outside.  The '73 has easily removable Side Plates covering the innards.  The '66 has slightly more difficult to remove Side Plates covering the innards.  The Henry has Side Plate that are a True Gross PITA to remove and then need re-fit if you know how and have some special tools.

Some years ago, Uberti standardized ALL their Tang and retain Screw dimensions and location as well as drop.  The only deviation is the Henry which has a three quarter inch longer stock.

The '73 is of all steel construction and responds very well to speed tuning and modification.

The '66 is of ALL BRASS construction and responds very well to speed tuning and modification.  It will run just as fast as a '73.

The '66 is heavier than the '73 and has an entirely different "feel" to the action.  Without a trigger block safety, the shooter can get all out of time and fumble fingered trying to go too fast and encounter out of battery discharge (Bad Ju Ju).

I started CAS with a '66.  First learned ... Best remembered.  I like the "feel" of the action of an All Brass Rifle.  I like the sound of the action better too.  I only own two '66s and four Henrys.  I also own a '73.  I shoot the '73 about once a season.  My favorite Main Match guns are ALL BRASS.  They ALL have been tuned and modified for SPEED.  I ...... am not real fast anymore.  Oh well.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 12:30:21 PM »
I used to shoot 66 but now shoot 73 carbine because I have a bad arm and shoulder and have a hard time with the weight of the 66 and 24 inch barrel.

I don't see any downside to a 66 if the weight isn't an issue, the extra weight is one of the things I actually liked about the 66 until my arm became messed up. I was certainly more accurate with the heavier gun when I was able to handle it and personally would still be using it for CAS if not for my bad arm.

Like Coffinmaker, I actually like the feel of the 66, especially with my cheek on the stock and the action running you can hear what's going on inside the gun.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 01:50:10 PM »
I've had my Rossi 92 Carbine for 25 years. immediatly apon purchase had an action job done and have never had an issue of any kind with that little carbine. Never had an issue with the 66 either. Had one little issue with the 73 when the seller (also a gunsmith) did the action job, but he fixed it immediately and so far have not had any issues with it. The 92 is not as heavy as the 73, which is not as heavy as the 66. If I was forced to make a choice, and I hope I never do, it would be a tough call between the 92 and the 73. The 66 is too heavy. Till I grab the 76. Thats HEAVY!
King Medallion

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 02:45:10 PM »
My love for the History of the time period dictates either the '66 or the '73. Which ever fits best for the owner.
I don't consider the '92 for two reasons,
1. because they came out so late within the time period. Not to say they are bad or poor arms to chose.
2. because they were so "overly" misused for the wrong time periods in the Movies. I actually dislike the '92's for this very reason.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 03:12:58 PM »
Hey Coffin,, there's that word again !!! " Block ",, never knew about a Block until reading about " it" here on a forum ,, ya' say it should be or needs to be on a 66 for safety reason's ??

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 04:07:35 PM »
If you are trying to shoot as fast as some folks do these days, well that trigger safety might come in handy.  Personally, I ain't that worried on mine.  I have both '66 and '73 in 5 calibers and love both.  And so I'd say pick the '73 simply because your caliber choice is totally authentic for that one.

Then get a '66 later.  ;)

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 04:21:07 PM »
I used to shoot 66 but now shoot 73 carbine because I have a bad arm and shoulder and have a hard time with the weight of the 66 and 24 inch barrel.

I don't see any downside to a 66 if the weight isn't an issue, the extra weight is one of the things I actually liked about the 66 until my arm became messed up. I was certainly more accurate with the heavier gun when I was able to handle it and personally would still be using it for CAS if not for my bad arm.

Like Coffinmaker, I actually like the feel of the 66, especially with my cheek on the stock and the action running you can hear what's going on inside the gun.

What these fellers said!   (my arm is not messed up yet)  I had a 73 Uberti carbine for a while but always preferred my 66 rifle - it was my favourite till I got a 76 a couple years back.
Have had a good number of 92's along the way (still do) - none of these have been race tuned but tidied up some so they work nice - if I had to pick one of the small calibres for a gunfight its the 66 by a solid margin.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 04:46:42 PM »

SLAMFIRE!!!

Naw.  I never said anything like that.  A few shooters have gotten "caught out" learning "Speed."  As they try to go faster than their coordination will allow, they get out of time wit their rifle.  While they are out of time, they slap the trigger before the Breach Block is fully forward or the breach block is on the way back open and they slap the trigger late.  In which case ... BANG ... the gun goes off out of battery, the action slams open, usually bending something (The Lever, The links, your Shorts) and you wind up with an expensive "fix."

Never said the "block" needs to be there for safety.  Nope ... DID NOT ... say that ever.  Let us remember, I have and shoot 2 '66s and 4 Henrys and I was really really fast with em.  I never had an Out Of Battery Discharge (OBD).  There are just those whom attempt to go faster than they are physically capable, get out of time, and BANG.  Fecal Matter Propagates (FMP).

As long as the shooter is within their capabilities, no problemo.  Get a little "hero" complex and "not so much."  That is shooter error and has no bearing on or from the design of the gun.

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 06:27:13 PM »
 Mr. Coffin,ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha,,FPM,, you sir not only enlighten me ,, you also " delight me " with your wit and humor . And no!! I'm not a speed shooter ,, and I am now a little wiser. The 66 still sounds good , the weight is not a factor,, I can still lift a full 5th. ,,that is ,,,a 5th. of the weight I use to lift .

smoke'm if ya' got'm ,, Hootmix

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2019, 10:55:41 PM »
Hey Coffin,, there's that word again !!! " Block ",, never knew about a Block until reading about " it" here on a forum ,, ya' say it should be or needs to be on a 66 for safety reason's ??

er- do you fellers mean the lil gadget thingy that sticks out the bottom till the lever snaps shut and it releases the trigger so we can fire?
Our 66's have them  - not sure if you were referring to them being removed on race guns or being left out of later model ubertis?

just for giggles and unrelated to anything at all - its on the high side of 110 degrees under the shade of the mulberry tree in my backyard - was yesterday - will be tomorrer - and forcasted to be same for all the days ending with Y this week. 

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2019, 11:26:39 PM »
Interesting. Neither the original 1866 rifles not any of the Ubertis that I've seen have the trigger block safety. That must be a requirement down under. Probably because gravity is pulling the opposite direction

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2019, 03:07:27 AM »
wading in ....  I have had both,  the Uberti 66 was SRC in 38 Spcl. circa 1978, allowed it to get away in a bit of foolish greed.

The Current 73's  are an original circa 1891 in 32/20, and my go too (playing the game gun) Uberti short rifle in 44 Spcl.

There are also the Henry's  3 currently ( was 4 , a Uberti early  [AD]  date code bought new in 80 , sold in 88  & bought back in 08 and allowed it to go forth again in 2015-16  :-\  )

Too tough to choose....but if bamboo slivers were introdused to my fingernails... the original 1891 in 32/20....  well just cause !
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2019, 04:46:50 AM »
Interesting. Neither the original 1866 rifles not any of the Ubertis that I've seen have the trigger block safety. That must be a requirement down under. Probably because gravity is pulling the opposite direction

CC Griff

Are we talking about the same thing here?

Done a bit of research since first posting - looks like the trigger block was on the early Ubertis of the Navy Arms era - and disappeared on later versions - current manufacture Ubertis listed for sale in Aussie Gunshops - DO NOT - have the trigger block - so nothing to do with upside down operation!

I really doubt the down under requirement - these are really early manufacture - the 22 is 1971 and my 44 is 1975 - juniors 44 carbine I think is a 1978 (dont have it here)
 all waaaaayyy before any of the political BS started here - no registration of shooters or guns - Uberti revovling carbines were coming in in crates and disappearing - cap and ball pistols were replica firearms in Victoria - thousands of them went down rabbit holes too.  

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2019, 07:43:08 AM »
Right.  The early '66 Ubertis had that safety.  Those guns also have slightly different internals in the action and modern parts don't fit, so keep that in mind before buying one.  The originals of course didn't have the safety, but then neither did the very first '73's.  I'm guessing there were some OBD with the new more powerful 44wcf and so Winchester added the safety.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2019, 08:03:30 AM »
I sold my 66 in about 86-87 it was circa 78 SRC ...I can't recall if it had the safety  :-\ 
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2019, 09:00:37 AM »
I guess that I'm just too new to the game--I had not seen a '66 with that safety.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2019, 09:43:22 AM »

Well ... I just don't know.  There is nothing written in the Tomes of Times.  Just exactly WHY Winchester and Co. decided to put that trigger block safety there is a complete mystery.

I sorta think it was political.  Kinda.  Maybe, some Daft politico's eldest Daughter by his second failed marriage was at some infamous shooting competition.  He boyfriend convinced her to "try a rifle, sweetie" and it went BANG out of battery.  She then promptly pee'd her knickers and when she got home to daddy, demonstrated instant tears of humiliation.

Daddykins, being the grand hero, immediately jumped into his carriage (horse and four) and visited Oliver Winchester.  After visiting his wrath upon poor old Oliver, Oliver said contritely, OK, I'll fix that so your almost pretty Daughter by your second failed marriage won't have to be shown as an idiot again...OK??

So.  Now we have the ubiquitous Trigger Block Safety in the Winchester 1873.  Why Uberti was ever possessed to put one in the early replica 1866s, I haven't a clue.  Yet.  Stay Tuna ...........

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com