Author Topic: Prayer request  (Read 3813 times)

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: Prayer request
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2020, 09:52:45 PM »
...The other cancer patient said - "Do you always do that?" I told her yes and she expressed her appreciation for my humanity in dealing kindly with the addict. We both had tears in our eyes...

As do I.   :)
Thanks for the great update!

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2020, 11:10:47 PM »
During the conversation, another young woman approached us asking if we had any spare change. She looked terrible, likely a meth addict. I said - "Of course, sweetheart!" as I handed her some money. As I did so, I said - "Anyone here besides me got a problem with drugs or alcohol?" as I do every time, looking her right in the eyes.

It always has the same effect as I admit to being a sober alcoholic, 33 years clean & sober, but still an alcoholic. I tell them that I made it out of hell and when they are ready, so can they. That's it. No preaching.

I told her I would pray for her and she left knowing that someone saw her as a suffering human being and didn't blow her off like she was so much trash on the city streets.

My Dear PJ

you are a much better man human than I.
thank you.
you have just shown another way for me to improve.

I have been taught that there are no coincidences.
Our Creator causes paths to cross for a reason.
any time one can ease another's suffering is a golden day.

your more humble servant
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2020, 07:21:48 AM »
+1 to what the Professor said.  I will keep you in my prayers.
T-Joe
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 11:17:24 AM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2020, 12:07:27 PM »
If I fail to recognize a fellow sufferer, I make the world a little darker, colder place for that person. Literally, "There but for the grace of God go I ...".

I've been where that addict was, the only differences being the drug of choice, the fact that I didn't lose my job or my health and when I reached out, the help was there.

Some day, someone will tell me a story about the day a stranger planted a seed that took root. I look forward to that day.

At 12 Step meetings, I've heard people talk about how rough it is to get clean & sober. I listen attentively and then share my own story, including my bouts with the "Big C".

I tell them that given a choice of which to deal with, I'd take addiction any day of the week. It changes attitudes on the spot.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2020, 06:28:51 PM »
Praying for you here!
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2020, 10:51:08 AM »
Thanks one and all! Daily improvements and returning strength and energy.

Good Drs are great, but we all know who is the REAL healer!

I daily pray for all those suffering from disease and ask for healing of our brokeness in general - our broken hearts, families, friendships, and our bodies.

The Bible tells of Christ healing three lepers, but only one came back to thank Him.

That one is me.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Desert Pete

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2020, 09:15:29 PM »
PJ,
after reading through this thread I think you're gonna make it pard.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2020, 02:50:28 PM »
Thanks Pete! Very encouraging to hear.

I have a great faith that I will once again be in remission, this time for good. Ten years ago, when I was at the Clinic, I met several patients who gave me the impression they had no spiritual well to dip into. They had the pall of death around them.

I had the opposite attitude. My room mate there eventually passed away and following his death, I heard from his sister who found my email address on his computer. She told me that he got great inspiration from me and wished he had met me earlier before it was too late for him.

He would marvel at my exercise routine and my daily long walks as my radiation took only minutes per day. Week ends I was hiking on the north shore mountains of Vancouver. I actually delayed my recovery by pushing too hard (as I tend to do now) but I cannot curl up in a fetal ball on the sofa when I have a life to live on a beautiful lakefront property, a loving wife and two dogs that enjoy their lives one day at a time: "Lord, may I someday become half the man my dogs think I am."

This coming week end is our 20th annual CAS event and we are incorporating Covid 19 awareness by limiting it to a manageable number and requiring masks or bandanas to be worn when in close proximity to others. We're calling it the "Apocalypse Shoot", the Covid 19 theme expressed here: "Collection Of Very Insensitive Desperadoes"; and there's 19 of them dang varmints invading our territory.

It will be an energy drain for me and I'll have to use a catheter several times throughout the event, but 10 years ago, I missed our 10th as I was undergoing radiation at the time. I will not miss this one .....

One for you Pete ....

"You must prime the pump, you must have faith and believe;
You must give of yourself before you receive.
Drink all the water you can hold,
Wash your face, cool your feet.
Leave the bottle full for others.
Thank ya kindly. Desert Pete"

New Christy Minstrels

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2020, 07:56:53 PM »
PJ, how you doin' Pard?
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2020, 11:36:29 AM »
Thanks for asking!  :)

Much improved, but I can expect the effects of the internal high dose radiation (brachy) to linger for a while, perhaps 3-6 months. Ten years ago, that was how long the recovery took from 37 shots of low dose external beam radiation. This treatment was much more focused, having less impact on my abdomen, so the side effects are greatly lessened.

At our much Covid 19 reduced annual CAS event last week end, I had to ask or help getting the gun cart down a rough trail for a couple of stages. Shot tolerably well and placed 6th, my wife placing one higher. However, I did manage to take the 15 yd Hickock card shoot with 4/5 hits with one of my 44-40 Piettas.

I'm fighting the fatigue and yesterday we took the dogs for a long walk on a logging road. By pushing it, I hope to increase my endurance. When we got home, I showered and had a pre-supper nap.

This may not be in accordance with recommended medical practice, but I can't let summer go by and curl up in a fetal ball on the sofa. Life is for living.

The "Spirit of the Game" award went to a real Cowboy/rancher who recently lost a couple of fingers from his left hand while working on a rock picker. He used to shoot 'Gunfighter' really well. He shot the match 'Duellist' and his shotgun from the hip.

That was inspiring to all, especially me.  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com