Author Topic: OLd Model Vaqueros  (Read 2711 times)

Offline powderhombre

• Very Active Citizen
    • Black Powder Cartridge Rifle Reload Target Recorder
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
OLd Model Vaqueros
« on: September 11, 2020, 09:45:39 AM »
I went into an out of the way diminutive type gun store yesterday not expecting to find much and there on consignment from an old gent. was a pair of Consecutively numbered, Custom checkered grip, JEWELED Custom trigger and Hammers in Almost unfired condition (Blued) Old Model Vaqueros With the original grips and boxes and papers... For $1995.00 I don't need them, But I sure did fall in love with them.. I am tempted...

Offline John Barleycorn

• Top Active Citizen
    • Barleycorn Outfitters
  • Liked:
Re: OLd Model Vaqueros
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 05:30:39 AM »
Way over priced
Jedi Gunfighter #176
BOLD #787, NRA Life, RO I
N.E. Reg. FCGF Champ '12
PA  St. FCGF Champ '12 '13
MD St. FCGF 1st Pl '13
WV St. FCGF 1st Pl '12 '13
OH St. FCGF 1st Pl '14
NJ St. FCGF 1st Pl '15
PA St. GF Champ '15
SASS Regulator

Offline powderhombre

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 01:04:12 PM »
I think that's debatable. I would think we can agree mint Old Model Vaquero's are $800.00 guns. Custom grips are $150.00 ea. That's $1900.00 right there. Jeweled hammers/ modified spurs, Jeweled triggers plus action work . I have no idea but say $350.00 - $500.00 each gun.. plus boxes and papers.. Consecutively numbered sold as a pair... I think they are priced right.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:33:03 AM »

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 03:07:05 PM »
He is a dealer so the price he might be willing to pay will be considerably less than what you might pay. I think that is a little more than I would pay but if they are all slicked up consecutive #'s etc. that may not be that far out of line. Certainly if you were to have all that work done it might be more than that.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline powderhombre

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 04:14:05 PM »
they are consignment so yeah. I think the guy who owns them thought he was going to be a mounted shooter.. Found out that game was easier lookin than doing. One thing I know we all can agree on though... Can't put a price on love... If ya love em and just have to have them.. I'm not there yet. I'm too old to spend that much on guns or love HA!

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2020, 05:00:05 PM »

Something to consider.  Most aftermarket embellishments seldom add to the actual value.  However, the value is also connected to just ho much a buyer is willing to pay, and how deep a "bath" one is willing to take. 

Jeweled hammers and triggers aren't considered custom in the gun market.  Consecutive numbers are mechanically meaningless.  Checkered after-market grips are a dime a dozen.

In summation and in support of Barleycorn, the guns are WAY overpriced.  Cravat Emptor.

Wanna buy a Bridge??  Getcha a really good buy  ;D 

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2020, 08:02:14 AM »
An action job if you were going to have it done would be right in the ballpark of your estimate. So if you paid what is a conservative price for a pair that were unmolested and then had to have action work done on them you would not be far off. Also many times asking price is not selling price.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2020, 10:29:44 AM »
they are consignment so yeah. I think the guy who owns them thought he was going to be a mounted shooter.. Found out that game was easier lookin than doing. One thing I know we all can agree on though... Can't put a price on love... If ya love em and just have to have them.. I'm not there yet. I'm too old to spend that much on guns or love HA!
Check to see if the setup is different for mounted shooting than for regular CAS. I know it is different for fast draw.
wM1

Offline powderhombre

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2020, 04:30:17 PM »
Give or take a few hundred bucks either way.. They are a nice darn set of guns.

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2020, 07:15:55 PM »
...I think the guy who owns them thought he was going to be a mounted shooter.. Found out that game was easier lookin than doing. ...

Hi
No dog in this fight, but I was out in a guy's pasture for 4H shooting.  Shooting .22LR rifles so they were quiet.  Two of the neighbors road over on horse back.  One horse was a hair skittish, the other was downright upset by the concept.  I"m not sure what training you have to do with the horse, but it didn't look like it would be fun.
Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2020, 08:47:49 PM »
Hi
No dog in this fight, but I was out in a guy's pasture for 4H shooting.  Shooting .22LR rifles so they were quiet.  Two of the neighbors road over on horse back.  One horse was a hair skittish, the other was downright upset by the concept.  I"m not sure what training you have to do with the horse, but it didn't look like it would be fun.
Later

I haven't been on a horse in 52 years, but have been around some mounted shooting.  They do use .22's for some horses, probably subsonic, to get them used to the noise.  There are also ear plugs for horses.  At the large matches in large arenas, I noticed there were always a few horses with riders sitting in a fenced off spot at the opposite end of the arena from where the competitors enter.  When I asked I was told that they were getting horses used to the noise.  Obviously, not all horses react equally.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2020, 09:47:33 AM »
Started a horse once for Mounted shooting used 45 colt cases modified to take shotgun primers.  Started off shooting maybe 10 to 15 yards from corral.   Did not get much of a reaction so moved closer.  Worked leading horse and someone else shooting the primers starting with them where horse could see once little or no reaction moved to where the horse could not see once no reaction achieved.  Saddled up the horse and got on back to shooter where horse could see after a few little or no reaction passes, shooter where horse could not see etc.  Then shot the primers from the saddle standing, walking, trotting, cantering each phase done until little or no reaction.  Thne move up to bp charges standing etc.  Horse was pretty good thru the whole thing.  Never did the mounted shooting though they shoot for money so the suckers that are just starting pay the freight and the good ones collect the dough.  Same reason I quit bulleye pistol competition.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com