Author Topic: Trapdoors and collar-buttons  (Read 246 times)

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
Trapdoors and collar-buttons
« on: December 03, 2022, 09:11:03 PM »
Today I received via USPS a LEE 6 cavity mould for a collar-button bullet.  These will hopefully replace the .457" round balls I've using for plinking.  Has anyone tried these out?   Looking for thoughts on loads etc, and if anyone has done anything special to the brass (reamed flashholes etc)?  I"ve got an order of new brass on the way, not sure if I should budget for some of these to become designated plinking brass or not. 
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Trapdoors and collar-buttons
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2022, 08:59:00 AM »
What load do you use for the round balls? I would think it'd be similar.

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2022, 01:07:38 PM »
What load do you use for the round balls? I would think it'd be similar.
That's kind of what I'm thinking, but I figured maybe someone had some tricks.  I tried these (from a Lyman mould) back when I was a kid but had lousy luck with them. 
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 142
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2022, 05:54:32 AM »
457 rb and 23gs of OE or Schuetzen 2f works very well for Plainsman events. My wife uses 457 rbs and I use 300 g Desperado conicals with 32gs of OE 2f. The max distance we have tried with the rb load is 100 yds, works fine. Max distance I have tried withe 300 g bullet is 300 yds, reasonably accurate at that distance. Chrono for the 300 g conical is about 1600 fps. Wifes rifle is an H&R Officers model and mine is an H&R Buffalo Classic or my original trapdoor.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2022 CAScity.com