Author Topic: Valuation Assistance  (Read 1471 times)

Offline S. Quentin Quale, Esq.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Valuation Assistance
« on: June 01, 2010, 10:21:50 AM »
I've found an M1909 Colt, .45LC, in our local toy store.  I would ask the group for some "expert" opinion on value!   ;)

Not being a professional, I'll just describe it as best I can.  It's marked USARMY and all the serial numbers on the weapon match.  The barrel shows no pitting.  The cylinder swings out easily, turns freely, and shows no sign of pitting.  The action is smooth, but somewhat stiff (normal for this type of weapon?).  There is one major scratch on the right hand side of the barrel, near the sight.  All other mars are minor.  There are no significant wear marks.  The grips look in good condition.  There is no rust on the weapon.

To my naked eye, and comparing this to examples I've seen in museums, I'd call the condition good to very good.

This will likely not be a "shooter," but will be part of a historical impression (Naval Officer, from about 1912-1937).

I’ve no “provenance” on this beyond that it is part of an estate sale of firearms.

So, what thinks the group???

SQQ

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: Valuation Assistance
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 05:45:36 PM »
I'd have to see it, see the condition, if it still has the wood grips, all the correct inspection marks, etc. Make sure its not an M1917 rechambered to .45 Colt.  Is the barrel straight, or does it have a "tulip" or swell where it meets the frame?  Current blue book:

New Service Model 1909 Army Model (% = amount of original finish left):

98% - $1,450
95% - $1,200
90% - $1,000
80% - $925
70% - $850
60% - $775
50% - $680
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 06:55:16 PM »
Don't forget the high-polish finish...

I wrote on the 'New Service' over on the 'Colt Forum' and the 'NCOWS Forum' - you may want to take a look.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:25:09 AM »

Offline S. Quentin Quale, Esq.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 11:00:35 PM »
Thanks for the assistance.   :)

I'll take a look at the articles.  A friend who knows more than I do is pretty close to Drydock's valuations.  Looks like the pistol is pretty close to fairly priced.

I'm going to look at it again tomorrow and note the serial number for further research.

SQQ

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com