Author Topic: Is the model 1873 Winchester the most iconic?  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 93
Is the model 1873 Winchester the most iconic?
« on: January 10, 2022, 11:28:30 AM »
I have always been intrigued with lever action rifles especially Winchesters, and though I like every model I believe my favorite is the model 1873. The long tell-tail receiver with the side plates is the most iconic and nostalgic of them all in my mind. I have owned a few originals in the past but nothing really to get excited about. I once had a saddle ring carbine in 44-40 but its condition prevented it from being a good shooter, so I eventually sold it. Since then, the ones I have owned have been Uberti reproductions. I recently purchased one of the new Winchester rifles made by Miroku and it is an exceptional rifle. The Uberti and new Winchester are very nice rifles and excellent shooters. I realize they are not original but for me they somewhat satisfy the desire to hold the memory of a part of the old west in my hands.

The same could be said of the 1873 single action army revolver as well.
A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
Re: Is the model 1873 Winchester the most iconic?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 11:40:44 AM »
When I was growing up, it was mostly '92's we were seeing on TV and the movies.  But we didn't know that.  We just called every lever action we saw a "Winchester" or a "30-30" because that's all we knew.  The fact that I have 5 Uberti '73's tells what I think now.  ;)

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 08:33:17 AM »
Personally, I blame General Jimmy, if not for the movie Winchester '73 I don't think they would have had half the following they do now. I admit they are my favorite as well, I only have 7 right now, 4 modern (Euroarms engraved rifle, Euroarms carbine, and 2 Uberti rifles) and 3 originals (oddly all three are second models). With one exception, a Uberti in 45 Colt, the rest are all 44 WCF.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:02:50 AM »

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 09:36:35 AM »
After a 20+ year break from owning any Old West guns, when I started getting back into owning and shooting them the first rifle I thought of was an 1873 Winchester.  I had an original rifle (1887) in 44 WCF and this time around found a Winchester (Miroku) rifle in the same chambering.  It shoots almost as good as the original.  (smile)

Dave

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2022, 06:17:19 PM »
Looking at original photos, I'd the say the '73 is indeed the most iconic.  They seemed to me everywhere.  Sure like my original!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2022, 07:12:07 PM »

:)  Well   ;)

Certainly the most Iconic as we know it.  Thanks to Hollywood, the most oft seen "Guns of The Old West" are the Winchester 1873, Winchester 1892, and the Colt SAA.  Historically though, there were far more Henry and 1866 Henry Improved rifles throughout what we call "The Old West."  Also, there were far more Colt 1851s, and Colt 1860s than Colts 1873 SAA.  Far more.  and when you include the 1851 and 1860 conversions, the SAA seems more of a footnote.  However:

Most everybody not well read in actual history would invariably choose the 1873 rifle and the 1873 SAA as "The Icons."  My personal choices would be the Brass Rifles and the 1860 Army.  Were I to voice that in most circles though, most listeners would ask "what are those??"

People Are Hazardous to Yer Health

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com