Author Topic: Forward Cant holster  (Read 4624 times)

Offline Wiley Desperado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Forward Cant holster
« on: September 11, 2018, 05:45:26 PM »
Before I ask, yes sir, I have read page 12 of the rule book pertaining to holsters and there is nothing I see in reference to the forward cant holster.  Going back to at least the 1950s and possibly way before,  the forward cant holster was commonly used by Texas Rangers as well as the FBI and other law enforcement personnel carrying the 1911, still is.  Some even call it the FBI cant, is it Wild Bunch legal?     

Thank you in advance

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
Re: Forward Cant holster
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 07:07:14 PM »
Yes, it is legal.  I use one made for me by Johnny Morris (J&M Leather) that provides a very smooth draw and comfortable grip angle.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 07:26:26 PM »
I wish they would allow crossdraws. Once your pistol is drawn you shoot until your done, you might move between strings but you don’t reholster until the ro clears you. Don’t see the problem. Either start turned or do the dance.  Of course, it would be all but impossible to have the holster and the magazine pouches on the same side of the body.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:56:30 AM »

Offline Wiley Desperado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 07:39:11 PM »
Baltimore Ed and August, thanks!  I thought it was, I just wasn't sure, appreciate the response.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 01:25:11 PM »
I wish they would allow crossdraws. Once your pistol is drawn you shoot until your done, you might move between strings but you don’t reholster until the ro clears you. Don’t see the problem. Either start turned or do the dance.  Of course, it would be all but impossible to have the holster and the magazine pouches on the same side of the body.

Not so. When I'm wearing a x-draw holster, my shotgun slide is aft of it as it always is. No trouble getting the shells. I don't know anyone else who does this, but it works for me. I like a clean front and it looks so much better than a bandolier worn as a bra.

If IDPA shooters can grab their mags from behind their left hip, why can't you? I do it all the time.

The FBI cant is a 15* cant which points the muzzle to the rear. It is excellent from the sitting position but some find it a little awkward to draw from standing.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 05:39:04 PM »

I don't know if I can add anything meaningful.  Some time back, When IPSC was gaming traction, SAFARI I believe, introduced a holster configuration that included drop from the belt and the barrel canted forward.  A design that has carried forward in the Auto Pistol games as well as in CAS.  I started a "thing" when I started shooting Gunfighter with two cross draw holster backward, to give forward barrel can't and much smoother draw.  Almost immediately, EVERYBODY started to copy it.  It works extremely well.

I found in a law enforcement setting, that forward barrel angle doesn't work well at all.  The FBI angle works well in a car.  The best from a car is a cross draw.  I digress.

I personally quit Wild Bunch when it became CAS with a 1911 and no longer let me shoot Gunfighter.  Most of the current build of Wild Bunch holsters I have seen, all emulate the "FBI" angle.  Certainly it's legal.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 06:28:17 PM »
If I recall, the "Askins Avenger" had a slight muzzle forward angle. It was a favourite holster in the day.

My current IDPA holsters are vertical, no angle either way. Same for my El Paso Saddlery "Austin" holster I use in WB. Even my Blade tech plastics  are worn vertically.

I guess my tastes have changed, or my shooting style.

I agree with the comment re: WB being "... CAS with a 1911 ...". Another interpretation is "... IPSC in Cowboy clothes ...".  Either way, it ain't Cowboy.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 08:24:07 PM »
I found in a law enforcement setting, that forward barrel angle doesn't work well at all.  The FBI angle works well in a car.  The best from a car is a cross draw.  I digress.
Most of this is due in part to the Tom ThreePersons mods. If you don't recognize the name, he was an Indian Lawman, who worked his way up to the ATF in the early 1900's. He took the standard holster, had a belt loop added to it, forward cant, and trimmed the throat, so that the trigger and most of the cylinder were exposed. This made it comfortable, and easy to access in a car.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com