Author Topic: Obie Cue  (Read 1366 times)

Offline Virgil Lantey

• NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • 3-7-77
  • NCOWS #: 4017
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 72
Obie Cue
« on: July 29, 2022, 04:32:31 PM »
Finally got around to ordering some Obie Cue rubs and I can't wait to give 'em a try. They're one of the few that offer low or very low sodium spice blends and they are highly regarded in the BBQ world. Smoke on!!!!!!

"Around Dodge City and in the territories out west, there's only one way to handle the killers and the spoilers, and that's with a U.S. Marshall and the smell of...Gunsmoke!"

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: Obie Cue
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2022, 04:34:44 PM »
What time is dinner?   ;D

Offline Virgil Lantey

• NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • 3-7-77
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 04:38:47 PM »
Considering the heat wave we're enduring.....about midnight!  :D
"Around Dodge City and in the territories out west, there's only one way to handle the killers and the spoilers, and that's with a U.S. Marshall and the smell of...Gunsmoke!"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:15:05 AM »

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2022, 06:50:14 PM »
Howdy Virg,

I usually make my own rubs. Over time I have dramatically reduced the amount of salt with little or no loss of flavor. I do find if I can have the rub on the meat for a long time a little more salt helps the flavors penetrate the meat, especially if it's a large cut like a brisket.

FYI
Rev. Chase

Offline Virgil Lantey

• NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • 3-7-77
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2022, 09:07:45 AM »
 Howdy, Reverend!

I used to make a lot of my own rubs but I guess I've gotten lazy in my old age! I've found that I don't miss the salt at all if I have enough spicy heat, and using a low sodium rub allows me to control exactly how much salt I apply. I looked back at some of my old bbq recipes and they were off the chart with salt. Of course, you can also control your sodium intake with portion control but who on God's green earth can only eat two ribs?!!! :D

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2022, 09:38:42 AM »
Howdy Virg,

You're absolutely right. Far better to apply portion control to the salt so you have no reason to apply it to BBQ portions. My diet starts tomorrow.

Rev. Chase

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2022, 02:21:12 PM »
I went low salt long before my heart problems, my cardio people laugh when they tell me my sodium is a little bit low because I say anchovy pizza time. ;D

Very common question people ask me is why do processed foods use so much salt, it isn't needed as a preservative any more in most cases. 

Well the answer is simple it adds flavor and is far cheaper than herbs and spices so they use more salt and less herbs and spices. 

Save the salt intake for things that really need salt.

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Virgil Lantey

• NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • 3-7-77
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2022, 03:29:01 PM »
I think the American palate has become so accustomed to excessive salt that anything lower in sodium tastes bland.

One of my favorite pastimes was fermenting vegetables, making sauerkraut. I'm a firm believer in the benefits of fermented food but salt is a major component of fermenting so I've pretty much stopped doing it. I guess some folks have fermented with reduced sodium but I don't think I have the nerve to risk flirting with botulism!

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2022, 09:22:58 AM »
Home made sour kraut rocks.  Haven't had any in a long time.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com