Author Topic: New to Reenacting  (Read 5164 times)

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 695
New to Reenacting
« on: June 13, 2007, 07:22:52 PM »
Hello, I have been wanting to reenact Civil War for a long time now and I have finally found one near me. Camp Moore in Tangipahoa, Louisiana does reenactments in November. I have emailed them and I will try to get on board. I have two 1851 Navy Colts but I am wondering where to get Uniforms and Reproduction Muskets. If anyone you could help me I would be very thankful.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
Re: New to Reenacting
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 07:47:27 PM »
Joey Guns,

best place to start is make use of the links on the GAF website, which can be accessed through the link at the Barracks Forum page.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Frenchie

• "We have met the enemy, and he is us." - Pogo
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Photo by Julio Zangroniz @ "September Storm", 2007
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 08:55:18 PM »
Joey, this is just a guess and is intended to be positive criticism, but it looks like you don't know much about CW reenacting. Two Navy Colts won't do you any good unless you're a cavalryman, and officers carried only one revolver if they carried any at all. To be honest, any reenacting group that says, "Heck, yeah, you can be an officer!" when you have zero experience managing a unit in the field is a group you should probably avoid.

First thing you need to do is decide what you're going to "be", i.e., infantry, cavalry, artillery, medical, civilian, just to name a few obvious choices.

Then you need to read about a small library's worth of material on the War of the Rebellion with particular emphasis on the common soldier.

Then you need to join a group that looks like it does what you're interested in, in a way you think you'd like to do it, and find out what kind of gear you'll need.

Then you need to get the gear you'll need out in the field. The problem with most newbies is, they get the (cheap, shabby, incorrect) gear first and then have to sell it at a loss and get the good stuff. It's actually cheaper to get the good stuff to begin with.

Keep in mind the above is a really oversimplified, thumbnail sketch of the process. As you continue to read, study and gain experience, you'll most likely change your mind a few times.

Here are some books to start off with:

The Life of Billy Yank and The Life of Johnny Reb by Bell I. Wiley

Battle Cry of Freedom by James M. McPherson (best one-volume history of the War)

Black Powder Handbook for Reenactors by David T.T. Smith

Here are some Websites where you should register, read everything before you say anything, ask short, simple questions, and don't act like you know anything (because as far as the old-timers are concerned, you don't). These are places you can get a great deal of information and a lot of good advice. Just keep in mind, you'll be reading posts from people who've been there and done that, so stay quiet and learn:

The Civil War Reenactors Discussion Forum http://www.cwreenactors.com/index.php

The Authentic Campaigner Forum http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/

The American Civil War Home Page http://sunsite.utk.edu/civil-war/warweb.html

If you have any questions you'd like me to try fielding, fire away at my e-mail address.

And good luck!
Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance
Vous pouvez voir par mes vêtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:31:54 PM »

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 09:49:00 PM »
Thanks Frenchie. You are right, I dont know anything about reenacting. I looked for forums without much luck. I understand greatly to read read read before you ask questions. I have been apart of the Snipercentral.com forum for a long time and I know what it is to have newbies come in with questions that can be easily found by reading some of the posts or know it alls. I dont want to fall in either of the two.
While I am in Louisiana and there was lots of Civil War things going on in the area during that time there is really no groups that I have been able to find near me with the exception of the one I said above. I just got an email from the guy who runs it and he sent me a list of rules and such. The 1861s wont do me any good as you said. I have no experience therefore would not be an officer.
As for the items I will need. Well I never like to get the cheap things just to get them. I always spend the money and get the good things.
I do realize I am on the ground level and I just want to learn about it so I think you for the links you posted above. I am sure they along with the book you told me about will be of great assistance.

"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 07:38:55 AM »
Joey,  When you have done all of the things suggested by the very knowledgable Frenchie and you are ready to start acquiring your gear I would suggest Fall Creek Sutlery for most if not all of the items you will need.  There are alot of distributors that sell cheap and frankly crappy gear that is made in places like Pakistan.  When it comes to gear,  you usually get what you pay for, so dont be fooled by cheap prices.  Do your homework and compare.  Dont hesitate to ask questions of the distributors.  I am sure other people will provide you with names of quality stores also.

http://www.fcsutler.com/

Safe shooting.  Deadeye.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

Offline Frenchie

• "We have met the enemy, and he is us." - Pogo
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Photo by Julio Zangroniz @ "September Storm", 2007
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 08:17:32 AM »
I can't believe I didn't mention Hardtack and Coffee by John Billings! Lots of excellent information by a man who was there, and just plain great entertaining reading even if you never put it into practice. 'Course, he was one of those effete, pinky-in-the-air artillery gun bunnies, but he still has a lot of cogent observations to pass along.

If you want the absolute top of the line in uniforms and accouterments, go to Nick Sekela at http://www.njsekela.com/ . Tell him I sent you - he probably won't hold that against you  :D

Other great places to look at: Dirty Billy's Hats http://www.dirtybillyshats.com/ , Semancik Forage Caps http://www.foragecaps.com/ , Corner Clothiers http://www.cornerclothiers.com/ , Provisional Supply http://www.provisionalsupply.com/Main.htm , and Regimental Quartermaster http://www.regtqm.com/ .

That, along with the links I sent you in the email, should get you good and overwhelmed with information ;D
Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance
Vous pouvez voir par mes vêtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 07:03:20 PM »
Thanks guys. Lots of good info. I am going through it.....this should keep me busy for a while.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Will Dearborn

• "Ramrod, wreckage, and ruin..."
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Faugh an Ballagh
    • My Place on myspace
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 08:20:15 PM »
Also:

The Matthew Brady Studio made about 7,000 deguerrotypes (photographs...kinda) of the soldiers and associated during the War.

There's a new book in print showing some of the most notable.

The Photography of Matthew Brady...or somthing like that.

Long days and pleasant nights,
Will
"First comes smiles; then comes lies.  Last is gunfire."
                                                -Roland of Gilead
V.P., Waverly Arts Council
Chairman, Gen. Jo Shelby's Iron Brigade Assn.
SASS #75873
RATS #359
SBSS #2032
SCORRS
GAF #467
Private, 7th and 30th Cons. Missouri Inf.  "Irish Brigade"

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 08:23:34 PM »
Need to mention that the Brady collection is owned by the American people and, I believe, is accessible through the Library of Congress (correct me on this if incorrect), which means that you can get copies of any that they have on file for a basic fee.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 10:26:24 AM »
I think this is the link John means;

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/cwphtml/cwphome.html

1118 Civil War pictures, the majority Brady studios,  (Mathew Brady took very few of them but owned the studio)

When you get tired of them go to

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/browse/ListAll.php

More Civil War Collections here as well as a lot of other stuff.

American Memory is a hosting site for information, just like photobucket.  Many of the collections are not owned by LOC but other places, they just host them.  The Civil War picture collection is owned by LOC.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2007, 02:42:27 PM »
Joey, this is just a guess and is intended to be positive criticism, but it looks like you don't know much about CW reenacting. Two Navy Colts won't do you any good unless you're a cavalryman, and officers carried only one revolver if they carried any at all. To be honest, any reenacting group that says, "Heck, yeah, you can be an officer!" when you have zero experience managing a unit in the field is a group you should probably avoid.

First thing you need to do is decide what you're going to "be", i.e., infantry, cavalry, artillery, medical, civilian, just to name a few obvious choices.

Then you need to read about a small library's worth of material on the War of the Rebellion with particular emphasis on the common soldier.

Then you need to join a group that looks like it does what you're interested in, in a way you think you'd like to do it, and find out what kind of gear you'll need.

Then you need to get the gear you'll need out in the field. The problem with most newbies is, they get the (cheap, shabby, incorrect) gear first and then have to sell it at a loss and get the good stuff. It's actually cheaper to get the good stuff to begin with.

Keep in mind the above is a really oversimplified, thumbnail sketch of the process. As you continue to read, study and gain experience, you'll most likely change your mind a few times.

Here are some books to start off with:

The Life of Billy Yank and The Life of Johnny Reb by Bell I. Wiley

Battle Cry of Freedom by James M. McPherson (best one-volume history of the War)

Black Powder Handbook for Reenactors by David T.T. Smith

Here are some Websites where you should register, read everything before you say anything, ask short, simple questions, and don't act like you know anything (because as far as the old-timers are concerned, you don't). These are places you can get a great deal of information and a lot of good advice. Just keep in mind, you'll be reading posts from people who've been there and done that, so stay quiet and learn:

The Civil War Reenactors Discussion Forum http://www.cwreenactors.com/index.php

The Authentic Campaigner Forum http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/

The American Civil War Home Page http://sunsite.utk.edu/civil-war/warweb.html

If you have any questions you'd like me to try fielding, fire away at my e-mail address.

And good luck!

I can tell you this.... What Frenchie has given you along with the others might well be the primmer for the NEW Reenactor.

After almost 30 ( yep 30 !) years of mounted reenacting, I could not steer you better.

I've known some fine Reenactors in your part of the country , mostly Cavalry.
However, I would recommend a look at the Alabama Division , contact Bill Rambo if your planning Confederate (they do Galvanize though)

Andy Falks of Fall Creek is a good friend , and top shelf ..
Does Jeff O'Donnell still own Regimental Quartermaster ? also a fine sutler.

if your planning mounted cavalry I can steer you farther, Infantry or Artillery call "Rambo" ( really that's his name )  :)
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Will Dearborn

• "Ramrod, wreckage, and ruin..."
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Faugh an Ballagh
    • My Place on myspace
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 12:03:45 AM »
IF you're interested in anything with one of the Irish Brigades, let me know.  I'm about as Mick as they come and was interested and studying the 69th before I knew about reenacting or even what a 58 Remmy was.

Long days and pleasant nights,
Will
"First comes smiles; then comes lies.  Last is gunfire."
                                                -Roland of Gilead
V.P., Waverly Arts Council
Chairman, Gen. Jo Shelby's Iron Brigade Assn.
SASS #75873
RATS #359
SBSS #2032
SCORRS
GAF #467
Private, 7th and 30th Cons. Missouri Inf.  "Irish Brigade"

Offline Buckshot Mitchell

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 01:58:47 PM »
Howdy,
I can’t give you a lot of input, but I have been to Camp Moore and Port Hudson
(both in La.) during the yearly reenactments. I can add that if you can get in touch
with Chipola Kid, he and his unit seem to make all the reenactments in the area
plus some. He lives in La. also, around Greensburg I think. I don’t have an e-mail
for him, but he makes most of the Bayou Bounty Hunter monthly matches. We
shoot just outside of Amite on the second Saturday of the month. Come on out
and join us. I have seen where the Chipola Kid is a member of CASCity, I don’t
see where he has been active lately, you could try sending him a PM.
Buckshot Mitchell
Bayou Bounty Hunters
SASS 24941
GAF 423
SBSS 921
NRA
Republic Of West Florida-1810

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 05:13:49 PM »
Sirs, Staff & Etc.,
This Office is Pleased and Honored to see all the Positive responses to the Questions posited by Joey Guns and encourages Him and Etc., to follow through with as much Gusto as He is wont. Further, this office is also encouraged by the new Posters replies to His questions as they seem to be in the Posters Locale, and hopes to see more of that in the future as that, in and of itself, is what will help keep this org and others alive!
Best regards and good shooting!
I remain, Etc.,
'Ol Gabe,
Bvt. Capt.,
Adjt.,
Dept. of the Missouri,
GAF
c/o Dunbar Station, Iowa Territory

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2007, 03:44:32 PM »
Delmonico:
OFF TOPIC, I know.
But nice picture of Varmint Dance.
MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2007, 04:55:10 PM »
Delmonico:
OFF TOPIC, I know.
But nice picture of Varmint Dance.
MG

Why thank you, just another one from Solomon Butcher, a posed one of course. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2007, 09:00:05 PM »
And here I thought it was 19th cent. home podiatry. . .
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Deadeye Don

• SASS # 76281
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • DeadeyeDon
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2007, 06:25:11 AM »
And here I thought it was 19th cent. home podiatry. . .

Ok I just got this humerous picture in my mind of an old west podiatrist shooting off corns and bunions.  Thanks!  Deadeye.
Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com