Author Topic: Tom Horn  (Read 6443 times)

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Tom Horn
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2022, 04:50:50 AM »
Is this your gun/sight in the photo? What sight is that? Nice, clean, simple. I like it. Thanks

Yes, this is my rifle and sight. It is an exact reproduction of the original Winchester sight made by Axtell. Here is another view of it.
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2022, 09:28:42 AM »
I'm guessing not being made anymore?
King Medallion

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2022, 09:55:38 AM »

Sadly no.  Axtell closed down a number of years ago. My understanding is that Tony Maddox acquired the tooling, remaining parts and such.   While I don't see the sight currently listed, here is Tony's web site:  http://theoriginalsightcompany.com/index.php

It wouldn't hurt to reach out to him and ask. Maybe he just makes them to order?

"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 04:31:57 AM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2022, 10:22:02 AM »

:)  DT  ;)

Cowboy Up??  Really??  The 1876 was never a "cowboy's" rifle.  Intended and built for Sportsmen, Hunters, Buffalo shooters.  Those who traveled around in wagons.  A paltry 60 thousand were made, in comparison to a MILLION and a half 1866s and 1873s.

The 1876 is undoubtedly HEAVY.  Very Heavy.  However, do you not have a sense of Humor??  Some things are simply meant to be fun.  Sorry you failed to see the humor.

Besides, Beans gimmie GAS.

Play Safe Out There

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2022, 11:02:02 AM »

Coffinmaker Whoa Hoss you need not get so riled up . What I said was a joke . I guess you took it wrong , but it was meant to be humor .  If you think different than you are mistaken  . As much as you joke around I thought you had a sense of humor . No harm meant on my part .  You were right about one thing  ( Some things are simply meant to be fun ) ,,,DT

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2022, 11:29:19 AM »
               It would be great if that sight was being made again .  What ever happened to the fellow ?  (Original Sight Co. ) . He either made or was planning to make a replica of this sight . ,,,,,DT

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2022, 02:01:24 PM »
As far as I know, Tony is up and operating. But he may be a one man operation and has limited time.

Offline pinto beans

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2022, 02:11:05 PM »
ndnchf that sight looks Very nice on your rifle!!

Last fall I wrote about going to a range with a friend who brought his new to him Tom Horn rifle.  Took my 76 which has standard factory sights.  The Tom Horn version sight was easy to use but it looked a little out of place on the rifle.  Not sure what my friend will do with the sight but shooting a Sharps replica of his same day with traditional style aperture sight showed the different feel of the sights.  Problems I have is 1. I liked them both and 2. every time I start looking at sights for my 45-75 I just plain like the old buckhorn style on it!!!  Maybe a reason to own one of each rifle configuration?! 

Wish you all the best in enjoying new sights on your rifles, keep us posted on the experiences!!

P.B.

Offline locolarry

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2022, 02:44:00 PM »
Sent an email to Tony regarding the sight. Will follow up with his reply in case anyone else would be interested in the sight.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2022, 02:59:44 PM »
Yes Sir I'm interested .,,,DT

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2022, 03:24:43 PM »
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2022, 03:39:01 PM »
As am I!
King Medallion

Offline locolarry

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2022, 09:35:30 PM »
Tony responded to my email. He said he has not got around to making the sights, plans to, not sure when.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2022, 04:07:33 AM »
Tony responded to my email. He said he has not got around to making the sights, plans to, not sure when.

Perhaps hearing requests from a lot of people will raise it up on his priority list.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2022, 08:55:30 AM »

:)  DT  ;)

Oops.  Sorry for the miss-understanding.   ::)

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2022, 09:31:39 AM »
Coffinmaker No Harm meant No Harm done . ,,,,,DT

Offline shrapnel

• There is nothing like the original
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Keeping what made the West safe, alive
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2022, 12:15:41 PM »
This is an original and they aren't cheap, but this is what it should look like...

I never considered myself a failure...I started out at the bottom and happen to like it here!

Offline shrapnel

• There is nothing like the original
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Keeping what made the West safe, alive
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2022, 05:37:15 PM »

You don't have top wait for Tony, you can get them here and they are the best reproduction you will find...

https://montanavintagearms.com/sights/
I never considered myself a failure...I started out at the bottom and happen to like it here!

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2022, 09:44:55 AM »
Lokolarry, wondering how your liking your new Tom Horn rifle? As a side note, this is the vernier sight I have on my 45/75 rifle. I don't know the maker, had to shim it on the right side to get it lined up, but seems to be well made.

King Medallion

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2022, 02:41:41 PM »
I was under the impression that all Tom Horn models were 45/60. Fella on GB has one for sale in 45/75. Sent him a messege, we'll see what the response is.  He also is selling a couple other 76's, 45/60 and a 40/60. All with extras, ammo, dies, shooting rest.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/927412959

King Medallion

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com