Author Topic: spencer and henry platoon volley firing  (Read 2106 times)

Offline Cannon Fodder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
spencer and henry platoon volley firing
« on: February 16, 2007, 05:06:53 PM »
Gentlemen, As a reenactor, I dont know how many of you  have ever been involved  in platoon volley firing  of 5 or more henrys? I have been involved  once  and seen it done one other time  at night. I guarantee you it is  an  entertaining  and crowd pleasing experience, particularly the night one!

I think the secret is rather than  everyone firing on an individual  basis(ala  John  Wayne style), Have an  officer or nco  command it  with  "Ready , Aim , Fire " at  a 5-10 second  interval and unload  14 rounds  in 1-2 minutes.

Hope you can find enough henys to pull it off. It is impressive!

Cannon Fodder

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: spencer and henry platoon volley firing
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 12:31:39 PM »
Another crowd pleaser is three ranks of infantry, one rank kneeling, second rank standing, third rank standing on raised platform.

All troops using breech loading single shot rifles.  First rank fires at the officer's command, as the second and third rank fire as the first rank reloads.  This process continues until the enemy is repulsed.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline Cannon Fodder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 06:16:00 PM »

Grapeshot

Great comment on three lines  of infantry.  If out in a field with no steps available, could the first line be prone, the second line kneeling, and the third line standing? I believe it could work with breechloaders,but I have never seen it.

Thanks

CF

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:28:45 PM »

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 06:48:09 PM »
Actually according to the manual, Scott's Infantry Tactics, the front rank kneels, and the third rank leaves the left foot planted and steps with the right foot to the right and shoots between the men of the second rank.

This may sound unsafe, but it is perfectly safe, and I have done it with men armed with flintlocks.  And it is impressive.
(With carbines it could be a little dicey.) (With two ranks the kneeling rank is eliminated.)

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 02:01:08 PM »
Grapeshot

Great comment on three lines  of infantry.  If out in a field with no steps available, could the first line be prone, the second line kneeling, and the third line standing? I believe it could work with breechloaders,but I have never seen it.

Thanks

CF

Yes, the front rank could be prone, or in rifle pits.  As I remember it, the Brits at Rourke's Drift had the third rank standing on an elevated platform of some sort as they hammered the Zulu's attack.  Very Impressive.  You have to have well disciplined troops for that kind of engagement, though.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com