Author Topic: .44 mag didn't like my BP load.  (Read 3858 times)

Offline Rattlesnake Slim

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: .44 mag didn't like my BP load.
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2020, 10:42:30 PM »
Are your bullets jumping the crimp groove? That would explain why it locks up with a full cylinder but not loaded every other hole. Are the primers actually backing out or crushed flush with the rim?

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2020, 04:02:01 PM »
44 Extra Long Russian (44 mag) loaded with a compressed charge of BP under a Big Lube Mav Dutchman lube sized with PL-II ran very well at Squinty Eye last weekend.  Both revolvers (Ruger Vaqueros) and Win. 92 rifles had no problems although one round did get under the carrier and caused a train wreck stage.  With the Big Lube Mav Dutchman bullets there is NO need for wads, cookies or anything else.  Simply drop in the powder and seat the bullet. 

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2020, 03:54:07 PM »
FYI, Remington .44 Magnum brass has about 89.4% of the water capacity of a W-W .44-40 case with a 212 gr. bullet seated in both.  As far as sticking chambers is concerned, have you had any similar problems with smokeless loads loaded to similar MV with the primers backing out and not reseating? I don't shoot BP, but there could be something of a low-pressure condition in some of your loads, so the cases aren't moving backward.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 07:39:10 AM »

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2020, 05:47:39 PM »
A brace of Ruger 44 Mag. Vaqueros frequently adorn my pistol belt.  I load 'em up with a compressed charge of FFFg Holy Black under a lube/sized Mav Dutchman big Lube bullet.  Nothing else.  They easily run a full three day match with no need to clean.  Function and accuracy are well maintained.  The lube quantity keeps the fouling soft so that it easily blows away on the following shot.  My second and my last shot of the match encounter the same amount of fouling.

There is the solution to my 44 Mag. fouling question.

DD-MDA
Gunfighter Ordinar

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2020, 10:50:32 AM »
Forget the SPG gob under the bullet. I suspect you are forcing the lube into the powder and is has enough time to taint the charge and actually give you a lighter load than you think due to powder contamination. The gun will still go BOOM! and the heavier bullet will recoil more but with lower pressure the backed out primers would certainly lock up the action.

For extra lube you can do two things:
#1 Put 1 or 2 discs of beeswax sheeting (actually brood core for beehives but sold in craft stores in sheets to roll up into candles) by pressing the sheet with your thumb over the case mouth to punch out the disc(s) then seat the bullet on top. It is straight beeswax but it has solved some lack of lube problems for me in various calibers.
#2 Buy a "greasewagon" type bullet mold from biglube.com and you won't need to fool with wads or discs. I make my own lube from 50/50 deer tallow and beeswax. You could also go with beeswax and lard (beef suet or mutton tallow makes a slightly harder lube than lard).
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2020, 04:03:20 PM »
I occasionally shoot a brace of Ruger Vaquero 44 Magnums for SASS matches.  Absolutely no need for wax paper, gob of SPG or anything else.  Simply lube/size the Mav Dutchman Big Lube bullets and seat them.  I use between 1/8" and 1/16" powder compression.  Job done.  My guns will easily run a full annual match with no need to clean between days.  They continue to maintain accuracy and function with no special treatment.

DD-MDA
Gunfighter Ordinar

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2020, 09:16:31 AM »
I had a similar problem with a brand new Cimmaron in .45 Colt. I found a burr on the face of the cylinder bushing. A couple of minutes on a sharpening stone took care of it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com