Author Topic: 45-110 is Done !  (Read 2786 times)

Offline drcook

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
45-110 is Done !
« on: September 13, 2009, 10:04:14 PM »
My new 45-110 is done. It started life as a 45-70 Pedersoli Competition model. As I have stated before,
the 34" barrel dimensions are the same as a Shiloh heavy octagon 34" barrel. I had my local gunsmith
rechamber the rifle to 45-110. Now my Shiloh 110 has a partner/backup rifle. Also I will have a rifle for
my boy, or friends to shoot should the occassion arrive that a long range gun is needed.

Tuesday I am going to go make it go bang. I have some 550 gr Creedmores loaded up, ahead of 108
grains of Goex. Will be a good starting point.

Eventually I will have the cheesy pewter tip redone. Another item to note, Winchester used to make
forged, checkered steel buttplates. The ones that were made for shotguns are almost the perfect
size for Pedersoli buttstocks. The little tang/projection at the top will need welded up a little to size it
to the Pedersoli size, and the sides will need thinned just a little. Then I will have it reblued or possibly
case hardened. Sometime in the future, I might have the French grey reciever bone and charcoal
cased, but that is a couple years down the road. It will shoot just fine now.

dc

Offline drcook

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: 45-110 is Done !
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 03:26:49 PM »
I shot the new 110 today. It shot pretty decent. I can tell this rifle has promise. Using loads that I had
 just thrown together to try and were 6 months old, I had no trouble keeping a 200 yd 5" - 6" group
 as long as the sun was out. I shoot at orange 200 yd targets and when the sun goes away, my groups
 get larger because the orange fades out for me due to some meds that I am on. It gets where I can
hardly see the target and I may as well be shooting at it with a shotgun.

As an aside, when I went to Alliance Neb to shoot, needless to say, I didn't take the meds for a week 

5" to 6" with a load not tuned for the gun is pretty good. Now I will load some up in incremental
charges and go have another shot at it in a few days.

This rifle is going to be another 1000 yd competitive rifle. As I said, it weighs 13.5 lbs and is a joy to
shoot. My Shiloh 110 is a little heavier, and the chamber is a little tighter, but this will be a good
 back up rifle and / or loaner for my boy or friends to shoot.

Dave

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 09:16:27 PM »
Dave - very encouraging.  What bullet(s) were you using for the virgin shoot?
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:33:04 PM »

Offline drcook

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 06:37:21 AM »
I had 20 550 gr Hoch Creedmores and 12 540 gr Paul Jones Creedmores that were left over
from Alliance. The only downside is the chamber is just loose enough that the brass won't chamber
in my Shiloh even after running through my FL sizer. I would have to grind the sizer down. But that
is OK I needed some brass for it.

Shiloh makes their chambers tight on purpose

dc

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 04:47:04 PM »
Glad it worked out, hope to meet you sometime.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com