Author Topic: What kind of alloy do y'all use in your Buff guns?  (Read 4395 times)

Offline Tommy tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Keep your pants and your powder dry.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
What kind of alloy do y'all use in your Buff guns?
« on: July 28, 2006, 09:35:00 PM »
I was going to start casting for .38-55, .45-70, and .50-70 and was wondering what alloy everybody was using?  I was thinking some where around 30-1 lead to tin.  Might try experimenting with wheel weights and lead, too.
Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: What kind of alloy do y'all use in your Buff guns?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 08:57:33 AM »
I use 24-1 both my moulds cast a higher percent of non-rejects.  If you have good luck with 30-1 or even 40-1 go for it. I sort to with in 1/4 grain above or below on weight.   I'd stay away from the wheel weights.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 12:44:57 PM »
I'd stay away from the wheel weights.

Why? I use WW's for paper patched bullets patched to 0.002 under bore diameter (not groove) and they obturate perefectly and are very accurate. I melt down WW's in a huge pot (approx. 30 lbs.) of melt and flux liberally & then finally add about 1% tin.This is what I've used for years for all my BP cartridge rifles & pistols. Nary a fleck of leading + WW's are cheap if not free. Personally, I believe a harder bullet is better. Just my 2 cents worth.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:58:49 AM »

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 12:51:17 PM »
I can't get them to cast as well as I like with out adding a lot of tin.  If I'm going to add tin its going to be to pure lead, since I have several hundred pounds of it.  Wheel weights work good for some of my other uses that pure lead ain't good for. 

All my pure lead has been free also, check with plumbers that do remoldeling, roofers and folks who work in bridge fab plants.  In fact I have better luck getting free lead than wheel weights.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline gw

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 07:27:28 AM »
I make my own 20:1 from pure lead and tin. A couple of my nose pour molds are particular and this ratio works well for me. I'd encourage you to experiment with your equipment and rifle to find the best combination that works for you. Thats what keeps this game interesting! Good Luck
NCOWS 1437-Territorial Representative  -Great Lakes Freight and Mining Co.- NCOWS Representative and Delegate to the Executive Board
SASS 5847 Life
NMLRA
NRA Life
MIAMI RIFLE CLUB Life
QUIGLEY SHOOTER Lifer

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 12:00:36 PM »
I've been using pure lead cast in a core mold to about 500 or so grains and then run them through a Corbin Swage die to get them to the exact weight and shape that I want them.

That's when I paper patch them and stick them over a 65 grain charge of BP and run them through my Rolling Block .45-70.

Loads of fun and I can change the nose shapes by inserting a different nose punch or change the base punch from flat to cupped in a couple of minutes.

Just got to remember to lubricate the paper patch prior to loading.  Best stuff to date has been Lee's Liquid Alox and then run the whole shebang through a .458 bullet sizing die to iron out the patch and imbed the lube into the paper,

This works for me and the rifle I use it in.  Your milage may vary.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com