Author Topic: TIME FOR A CHANGE  (Read 4578 times)

Offline Col. Riddles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Whar's thet dadblasted Yankee?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
TIME FOR A CHANGE
« on: August 12, 2004, 08:29:11 PM »
In the rules for Classic Cowboy and as I understand the proposed Hollywood Cowboy class, straw hats are not allowed, the reasoning is that they were not period and straw hats were not used in B western movies.

Watch "The Searchers." There are scenes with the Duke wearing a palm straw hat. The Mexican Vaquero that leads them to the Comanche camp is also wearing a straw sombrero.

Also get a copy of "Son of The Morning Star" and watch it. In it Maj. Marcus A Reno is wearing a straw hat at the Battle of The Little Bighorn. I have read historical accounts that state Reno was wearing a straw hat at the battle.

In the book "Archaelogical Perspectives On The Battle Of The Little Bighorn" Douglas D. Scott, U. of Ok. Press, 1989, ISBN: 0-8061-2179-3, on page 91 the author quotes researcher Jame hutchins in 1976 that some officers wore straw hats.

In the book "Custer's 7th Cavalry From ft. Riley To The Little Bighorn," E. Lisle Reedstrom, Sterling Publishing, ISBN: 0-8069-8762-6, on page 114, there us a photo of the straw hat worn by Gen. Ulysses S. Grant. The author states the soldiers were allowed to wear straw hats in the field that they purchased from post sutlers for 25 to 50 cents each.

In the book "Apache Wars An Illustrated Battle History" by the same author & publisher, ISBN: 0-8069-7255-6 are many pictures of cavalry officers, Apache scouts and even Geronimo wearing straw hats.

It seems logical to me that cowboys also wore straw hats in the summer. They were much cooler & less expensive than fur felt hats. A cowboy could more readily afford 25 to 50 cents for a straw hat than he could $4 or $5 for a felt hat. While photographs of cowboys wearing straw hats are very rare keep in mind that photographs were expensive and were staged mostly in a studio and a cowboy (or anybody else) wanted to look his best. Most cowboys bought completely new duds from head to foot when they ended the cattle drives in Dodge, Hays, Wichita, or Abilene and then had a photo taken in their finery for the folks back home.

Btw, when watching a DVD of "The Searchers" the other night it looked like John Wayne was wearing house shoes. It's in the scene where he is throwing wood on the fire next to Jeffrey Hunter, then goes to make his bedroll look as if he's sleeping there. We backed it up frame by frame & sure enough he's wearing light colored rubber soled bedroom slippers.

Now I'm not proposing that we be allowed to wear bedroom slippers and neither should anyone else.  ::) ;D :P   But whoever drew up the rules for Classic Cowboy & Hollywood Cowboy didn't do enough research & they probably haven't spent a lot of summer days outside in 110+ degree heat.

One other thing Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, & The Lone Ranger had several identical hats provided to them by the studio wardrobe dept. that they would change when they got dirty or sweat stained.

I think it's time for a rule change. How about you?

God answers knee mail † ><>
BOLD
SCORRS
SASS 7462 Life

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: TIME FOR A CHANGE
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 08:49:26 PM »
I totally agree, heck we even wear palm leafs in NCOWS.... :o
Fast horses for sale, Discount for newly minted gold coins, no questions asked....

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 08:55:20 PM »
Col.  That's a logical, cogent, well-considered position.  I'm sure it will never make it to the TGs. ;)

Adios,

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:31:30 AM »

Offline Boston John Doucette

• Wistful Dreamer
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 09:22:01 PM »
Let's ask Bisley Joe what HE thinks...  ::)

BJ ;D
I love my dogs, I'm real attached to my guns, and I'm right partial to my wife.

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 09:40:05 PM »
So whaddayathink BJD?  Did Bisley Joe get the boot from TOB?

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dealer in Bullets and Gun Butter
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 09:41:40 PM »
I shot CC a week or so ago in 98 degree heat and 325% humidity, it weren't much fun.
 ???
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Shoshone Slim

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2004, 10:01:05 PM »
DAMN YOU BJD!!!! >:( Now I've got diet 7up come'in out of my nose and all over my keyboard and monitor. ;D ;D

Offline SIR WILLIAM

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2004, 10:13:15 PM »
Agreed.  Straw was around then. Cheap.  Easy to lose and damage.  You could replace several at the price.  The breeze blowing through those vents and cooling your pate WAS a benefit.  I remember my ggreatuncle wearing an old straw hat.  He said he got it off of a Spaniard in the SAW.  It was greasy and dark from stains.  It certainly looked authentic.

Offline Col. Riddles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Whar's thet dadblasted Yankee?
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2004, 10:14:18 PM »
Bisley Joe!!!! ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :'(
God answers knee mail † ><>
BOLD
SCORRS
SASS 7462 Life

Offline Jose Grande

• Very Active Citizen
  • Sharps-Long Distance Operator
    • Jose's Website
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2004, 11:19:54 PM »
I got a Mexican Palm Leaf I wear in the hotter months. Just common sense. Course you were inquiring about a rule change so never mind................ ::) ;)
He shouldn't ought'a decorated his saloon with my friend.
Well now.......yall gonna pull them pistols or whistle Dixie ?

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2004, 11:24:02 PM »
History records that many of Custers men bought straw hats from the sutler at the Yellowstone encampment.  The Flat brimmed straw or palm leave worn by the Major Reno person in Son of the Morning Star is typical of the straw or as the palm leaf were called "Panama Hats" of the time period.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com