Author Topic: Afgan Martini Henry  (Read 1502 times)

Offline Bat 2919

• G Man / Bat Masterson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Sand Creek Raiders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Afgan Martini Henry
« on: May 15, 2015, 11:28:45 AM »
Ran across something a little different in a local gun store yesterday.  When I asked to see the Martini Henry the kid behind the counter looked at me like I had three heads.  After pointing it out and after being told it was a consignment gun from a guy who had been selling guns belonging to his father, he handed it me, the tag said "Martini-made in Afghanistan .303 British"  This rifle was in remarkably good shape.  Action felt tight and lockup also appeared to be strong but I'm no expert on these guns.  Metal looked like it may have been cleaned up on the outside and the wood was also very clean.  The markings on the right side of the receiver ( I didn't take a photo so I cant be sure) appear to be very similar to the Afgan Royal Armory markings I found when I did some research last night.  Bore was definitely 30 caliber and not 45 or 57.  As most barrels do, it had a bunch of crap in it but the lands appeared to be strong, grooves are anyone's bet.  Price tag said $300.  I didn't ask too many questions about the gun or owner, kid couldn't have answered them in any case.  

Now, I don't need another project gun right now.  I haven't even shot the Trapdoor Springfield I bought last fall that I plan to make my next project, if  I can ever find the time.  So, If anyone wants more info let me know.  I'd be happy if one of our resident experts just gave us a little background on this gun.
Happy Trails

G Man / Bat Masterson
NRA Endowment
SASS #2919L
AZSA #11L
NCOWS #530
BOLD# 276
GAF #750

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: Afgan Martini Henry
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 12:05:59 PM »
Suspect this may very well be a Khyber pass gun.  Useful only as a wall hanger if so.  Way underpriced for the real thing.  

http://www.martinihenry.com/khyberpage.html
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 12:09:01 PM »
They're still making them today...

Darra and Peshawar were the last places I saw them recently being made, and watching the process is interesting, to say the least.

I brought back a single-shot pistol chambered for .303 British and built on a Martini-Henry action that was given to me as a token of respect.

It's covered in proof marks and lettering that bear no relation to anything, but look 'official' to a Tribesman, and it 'will' chamber the service round, 'but' when they shoot one, they pull out a number of strands of what passes for Cordite over there - making it much more like firing a .38 Special.

The Afghans have been making weapons a long, long time - using railroad rails, mostly - and patience and a lot of files.

I would 'not' recommend buying one to actually shoot - even though you can do so, but hey - they're your fingers and eyes...

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:38:25 PM »

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 12:27:12 PM »
Another source of info. Our rattlesnakejack posts here.

http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?15-Martini-Henry-Forum
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com