Author Topic: Merwin & Hulbert Small-Frame Pocket help needed!  (Read 1419 times)

Offline Tinker Pearce

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Merwin & Hulbert Small-Frame Pocket help needed!
« on: October 19, 2019, 05:10:22 PM »
I've just gotten an M&H small-frame pocket .32 (4th Model,) and it seems to be missing a piece. I have the hand and all the other bits seem to be there except the part that allows the trigger to work on the hammer to produce double-action fire. Hard to make a new one if I don't know what it looks like...

If anyone has an M&H double-action and can take a photo of the mechanism with the sideplate off, and possibly the piece removed from the gun that would be really helpful.  Even an Army DA would be better than nothing, as I've heard the small-frame is pretty near a scaled-down copy of the larger model. A parts diagram would also help. None of my usual sources have such a diagram or indeed any parts in stock at all.  Thanks for the help!

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
Re: Merwin & Hulbert Small-Frame Pocket help needed!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 04:32:57 PM »
Greetings My Good Tinker -

as you may have discerned form the deafening silence, there is not much out there on the M&H.

hopefully one of the few owners will see your request and can help you out with photos.

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Colt Fanning

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 11:33:58 AM »
Howdy,
 Here is a picture or a large frame Mh.  The part that you a talking about is called the strut.  The lower part is forked to fit over the blade on the trigger assembly.  The fork goes high enough to clear the piece which is connected to the hammer spring.  This piece rests on the trigger blade and returns the trigger.  Note the pin which operates the hand.  The fork in the strut contains two pin
bosses (not visible below the hand).  Note the ledge on the side of the strut which the hand spring rests on.  The hand spring forces the strut into the grove in the hammer in order to raise the hammer.  If the trigger is pulled further than the present position, the strut will be cammed out of the slot thus releasing the hammer.  The pin bosses were broken off the strut on this gun and I silver soldered new bosses onto the strut.  I toyed with the idea of trying to modify a strut from another make (S&W) of gun or making a new part from scratch but settled on replacing he pin bosses.
Regards
Colt

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:15:52 AM »

Offline Tinker Pearce

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 03:35:20 PM »
Thanks Colt Fanning- this is very helpful!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com