Author Topic: Shooting A Spencer Carbine In 45 Colt  (Read 823 times)

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 695
Shooting A Spencer Carbine In 45 Colt
« on: February 23, 2024, 01:56:35 PM »
My video shooting the Spencer from Taylor's and Company

Loaded with hand loaded 45 colt 200g RNFP bullets, starline brass, 5g of TB with a wolf primer.

https://youtu.be/LltvTej7ib0?si=oi_YJKpnnXNUhszK
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 265
Re: Shooting A Spencer Carbine In 45 Colt
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2024, 05:31:51 PM »
Nice video. That's a sweet looking firearm! One year at the NCOWS Nationals, one of the shooters was using a Spencer. He fired the seven rounds and then loaded three on the clock. I've always had a Spencer on my wish list. You will have to make a scabbard for it.

Thanks for sharing this with us.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Johnson Barr

• Berger Sharpshooters, KVC, Blue River Regulators #129, Johnson County Rangers, GAF
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS Life, NCOWS Merchant
    • J Barr Texas
  • NCOWS #: L-173
  • GAF #: 830
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2024, 01:06:10 PM »
Tip from a fellow Carbine shooter; work the lever more briskly to and fro. Faster in one fluid motion without stopping. Down and back, down and back. Mine is a .44 S&W Russian version and she likes it rough. The faster the better.  Leave the butt on your shoulder, look down the sights and run that lever as fast as you can, then thumb the hammer back before tripping the hammer.  ;D
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:58:58 PM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1213
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2024, 07:15:08 PM »
The wood finish on that carbine is different from what I'm used to seeing on the Chiappa Spencers, though I haven't seen a new one in quite some time.  It is also very pretty wood!

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2024, 07:34:46 AM »
Nice video. That's a sweet looking firearm! One year at the NCOWS Nationals, one of the shooters was using a Spencer. He fired the seven rounds and then loaded three on the clock. I've always had a Spencer on my wish list. You will have to make a scabbard for it.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Thanks. That would be fun.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2024, 07:35:20 AM »
Tip from a fellow Carbine shooter; work the lever more briskly to and fro. Faster in one fluid motion without stopping. Down and back, down and back. Mine is a .44 S&W Russian version and she likes it rough. The faster the better.  Leave the butt on your shoulder, look down the sights and run that lever as fast as you can, then thumb the hammer back before tripping the hammer.  ;D

Thanks for the tip. I will try that next time I have it out.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2024, 07:35:54 AM »
The wood finish on that carbine is different from what I'm used to seeing on the Chiappa Spencers, though I haven't seen a new one in quite some time.  It is also very pretty wood!

Thanks for watching. It is a pretty rifle/carbine for sure.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Sedalia Dave

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99699
  • NCOWS #: 3836
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 176
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2024, 09:46:10 PM »

Cock the hammer BEFORE cycling the action. The bolt in a Spencer does not move straight back, when first opening the lever the bolt moves down slightly. You could break the firing pin if you don't cock before opening the action.

Offline Johnson Barr

• Berger Sharpshooters, KVC, Blue River Regulators #129, Johnson County Rangers, GAF
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS Life, NCOWS Merchant
    • J Barr Texas
  • NCOWS #: L-173
  • GAF #: 830
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2024, 02:06:21 PM »
 Had my carbine completely disassembled on my workbench just yesterday. Including the the transverse plate the moves the firing pin forward when struck by the hammer face. The firing pin has a return spring that retracts the firing pin from the bolt face just as the bolt drops when the lever is cycled downward stopping contact between hammer face and transverse plate.
  I have a Pedreddi  Sharps that has a similar inertia driven firing pin system. The firing pin retracts the moment the breech block moves downward out of contact with the hammer face.  Not what you would find on the original guns.

"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2024, 04:15:55 PM »
Thanks for the pointers. I did try it every way while shooting it. Tried it with the hammer on half cock, all the way back and down.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2024, 07:15:38 AM »
Thanks, Rube, for sharing:

Vid's most appreciated.
Please review your posted load info.  Maybe typo's.
Are you using only 5gr. TB, and what is the primer, please?

Also, was any work done on the trigger, and what is the weight of the trigger pull?
All the best. Smiles.
El Supremo/Kevin Tinny
Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2024, 11:13:38 AM »
Thanks, Rube, for sharing:

Vid's most appreciated.
Please review your posted load info.  Maybe typo's.
Are you using only 5gr. TB, and what is the primer, please?

Also, was any work done on the trigger, and what is the weight of the trigger pull?
All the best. Smiles.
El Supremo/Kevin Tinny

Yes, 5 grains of trail boss. These are my cowboy action revolver rounds that I just used for this video and test.
The primers are Wolf.

No work done to the gun. Completely stock from Taylors.

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Macon Due

• Active citizen
  • SASS #: 29445
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2024, 01:29:28 PM »
Rube
Thanks for the video. I also have one in .45 Colt but had to send it back to Chiappa as it did not function well. It 'seems' to be good now. My wood is also very nice.
Macon Due 29445

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com