Author Topic: Source for soft low velocity shot shells please?  (Read 720 times)

Offline Iron City Sage

• NCOWS Member
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
Source for soft low velocity shot shells please?
« on: July 20, 2023, 10:52:16 AM »
Last month my wife shot at an NCOWS match with me, and while this posse rarely uses the shotgun for most classes, we did that day. My wife shot my 12 GA coach gun with standard skeet/hunting shells, and lets just say, she wasn't a fan, and every time she saw the bruise on her shoulder, she reminded me she wasn't about to do THAT again.....

Picked up a hammerless Remington/Baikal in 20 for her, and while she hasn't shot it yet, I suspect even that won't be much fun for her. I've heard there are some low velocity shells out there, but haven't come across any. Something in the 600-800 FPS range? We don't reload, and have no desire/interest in reloading, so that's not an option. Anyone know where I can get her some 20 shells softer than what we shoot for skeet/sporting clays? Thanks!

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1204
Re: Source for soft low velocity shot shells please?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2023, 11:31:46 AM »
Since you don't reload, the 20 gauge shotgun is probably going to kick more than the 12.  You need to hunt for 12 Gauge Winchester AA LNLR (Low Noise Low Recoil).  These are 26 grams shot at 980 fps (Winchester part number AA12FL8).  They used to be called Featherlights and many still call them that.  Right now they are out there but hard to find.  At one time they made 20 gauge LNLR but those are impossible to find if they even still make them.

Federal makes a 12 Ga. round that is 1 1/8 oz but is subsonic.  I haven't seen those in a while, either.  They recoil about like the AA LNLR.

I know you said you don't want to reload, but unless you get someone to reload them for you, that is just about your only option other than the above.  Loading shells at AA LNLR levels or even lower is easy.  A Lee Load-All loader is under $100 and pretty darn easy to set up and use (I use one for smokeless and one for black powder).  I have them screwed down onto a narrow board that I attach to a tabletop with C-clamps when I need to use them.

Regardless of the shell's recoil, having the shotgun fit your wife is just as important.  I do not have experience with that but many others can talk about how short the stock needs to be.  If you are sharing a shotgun, that can be an issue.  Good luck.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2023, 08:13:45 AM »

:) PLUS ONE for Abilene > > > > EXCEPT

Unfortunately, a 20Ga was/is a huge mistake.  For decades, Upland Hunters and Target Shooters have asked for the 20Ga to perform like a 12.  Ammunition manufacturers have provided.  In Spades.

A 20Ga is lighter than a 12Ga and with common ammunition will beat the bejabbers out of the shooter.  Make a 12 seem like a pussycat.

Talk to your local purveyors of all thing guns.  Have them source up a supply of "Fiocchi 20Ga Trainer" ammo.  About as much recoil as a 22.

FIOCCHI TRAINER!!

As a second thought.  There is nothing "Light" about "Target" ammunition.  Remember, Target ammunition is intended to break clay birds out at 30 to 40 yards.  They be stout.  With the exception of Winchester Lo Noise Lo Recoil specialty rounds and some other really light loads.  That 20Ga with standard ammo will be BRUTAL!!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:02:52 PM »

Offline Cap'n Redneck

• Commd'g Co. D, Frontier Batt'n, Texas Rangers.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cap'n Redneck SWS #163.
  • GAF #: 273
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2023, 07:58:31 AM »
An option to finding lighter loads would be to make the gun heavier.

I have modified several rifles (not shotguns) by temporarily removing the buttplate, drilling a 3/4" hole up towards the tang as far as I dare.  Then stuffing that hole with a thin-walled pipe filled with molten lead.
Reinstall the original buttplate, or replace it with a modern recoil-absorbing one for even more effect.
This works a charm on single-shot rifles with long, heavy barrels. 
Improves the balance and tames the recoil nicely in my opinion. 
Might not feel as well balanced in a shotgun; with its lighter and shorter barrel it will get heavy towards the rear...

(Please note: I once drilled a similar hole in a log, poured it full of lead, let it cool, split the log open and inserted the cylindrical lead rod into the buttstock of one of my rifles.  When the day came that I wanted to remove the lead rod from the rifle, I found that the lead had upset from repeated recoiling and got stuck inside the buttstock.
That's why I recommend casting the lead inside a brass / alu / steel pipe.)

Come to think of it: a weight increase might also be attained by simply pouring the hole in the buttstock full of lead shot pellets, then plugging the end with a cork.
"As long as there's lead in the air, there's still hope..."
Frontiersman & Frontiersman Gunfighter: The only two categories where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s.

Offline Iron City Sage

• NCOWS Member
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2023, 06:20:45 PM »
Thanks all. Yes, I am aware of the limitations in 20 gauge guns. I shoot 12, but she wanted a 20, as she thinks her skeet trap and sporting gauge guns in 20 shoot lighter even with target loads. I’m skeptical personally, but she wanted it so she got it. She is no stranger to a shotgun, we competed in other shotgun sports disciplines for years, but as you know there is a big difference between target O/U and semi guns compared to a small light coach gun. Was just hoping someone knew where featherlight were available.

Oh well, it is what it is and we will just have to make do. Besides, we have a couple cases of 12 and 20 gauge shells in the ammo locker anyway, from skeet and sporting clays, so even if she doesn’t shoot it for CAS, it will get shot up eventually. Heck, if she decides she doesn’t like it, I’ll shoot it, hers is hammerless, mine has mule ears. Thanks all!

Offline Tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2023, 03:01:35 PM »
A couple of cowboys I know shoot 20ga.  Winchester use make the AA in low recoil 20ga that worked great, but I think they discontinued them years ago.  I know they tried some Italian low recoil shell not long ago (Noble Sport maybe?) but they swelled and stuck in the chamber often. 

I don't have any experience with these:
https://www.rstshells.com/store/m/4-20-Gauge-SHORT-COMPONENT-TO-MANUFACTURE-/-NO-ETA.aspx
but this small company makes low recoil 20ga.

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1204
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2023, 03:46:22 PM »
...I don't have any experience with these:
https://www.rstshells.com/store/m/4-20-Gauge-SHORT-COMPONENT-TO-MANUFACTURE-/-NO-ETA.aspx
but this small company makes low recoil 20ga.
And they are in stock, too!  But at $22 per box, I think they will remain in stock for some time!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com