Author Topic: ".45 Colt's Government" Cartridges...  (Read 654 times)

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1637
".45 Colt's Government" Cartridges...
« on: June 01, 2022, 02:02:29 AM »
      Greetings!

This information is taken from my Post in 'Frontier Iron', wherein I related my reloading experiences preparing cartridges for my new A. Uberti #3 Old Model American, .45 Colt, 5" bbl.
   Having successfully fired .45Colt's handloads in this beautiful new revolver, I resolved to fashion cartridges of the shorter .45 Colt's Government, to facilitate a more sure ejection of fired brass. Standard .45Colt's brass is readily extracted from the cylinders chambers, but not all are fully ejected, and must be plucked out. I reasoned that the .45Colt's Govt cartridges brass being the same length as .45S&W should reliably clear the chambers, and upon that reasoning, I proceeded thus:
   I took two double handfuls of mixed headstamp .45Colt's brass, and trimmed them all to 1.095" ( The length of StarLine ".45 Schofield" brass ), and dressed their case mouths. The cases were primed with both CCI #300 and S&B Large Pistol Primers. Using established Reloading Manuals, I decided upon a starting charge of 5.4gr Alliant Unique, and corked with the NEI #323A / .454-230HB bullet, sized to .454", ALOX lubed, and about 14BHN. I also loaded one old box of StarLine .45 Schofield brass with the same components, and using for all an old set of Hornady Titanium Nitride .45ACP/.45Colt's 3 Die Set. The larger rim diameter of the .45 Schofield brass demands the use of a different shell holder: I use the RCBS #35; for the .45Colt's I use RCBS#20 or Hornady#5. Hard bullet crimps were not used, the Seater/Crimper Die adjusted to press the case mouth snugly against the bullets ogive, and give 1.404" OAL.
   With my eyeballs screwed in tight, and struggling with an atrocious trigger, I could, to my satisfaction, manage 2.5" to 3" groups at 25yds with all bullets right over the front sight. I could not discern any performance difference between my CCI #300 Large Pistol Primers, or the S&B brand Primers, and neither was there any between my handloads utilizing the shortened .45Colt's brass and the StarLine .45 Schofield brass. I could also more reliably eject the .45Colt's Government brass, with only an occasional case getting under the extractor star.
   Shortening the .45Colt's brass was rather a hassle, but lacking .45S&W Schofield brass, it is certainly an option. I also appreciated the fact that I was getting very good performance and economy from the Alliant Unique, a significant reduction of powder compared to my standard .45Colt's handloads.

M.T.M.
                             6-01-22

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
Re: ".45 Colt's Government" Cartridges...
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2022, 09:19:53 AM »
Thanks from another Schofield shooter, very well laid out and explained.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1637
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2022, 03:09:44 PM »
      Greetings, DeaconKC!

Thanks Mucho for the feedback. I'm an enthusiastic, life-long handloader, and I like to be very clear about what I'm presenting.

M.T.M.
                   6-01-22

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:35:39 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com