Author Topic: Veteran's Graves  (Read 593 times)

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Veteran's Graves
« on: August 10, 2021, 08:54:44 PM »
I went out to the local cemetery tonight to see if one of our Indian War veterans had a marker.  (He doesn't.  We'll get that corrected.)  I decided to look around a little and found two Spanish American War veterans, one of who fought with the 2nd Nebraska Volunteer Infantry.  I'll be spending more time looking around out there and taking notes!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
Re: Veteran's Graves
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2021, 10:39:51 PM »
Hi Dale
I don't know how to do it, but you might put the information you get in Find a Grave. 
Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline 38OVI

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2021, 08:35:50 PM »
www.Findagrave.com  is not hard to use.  It is a free site but to use it to post, just create a free account, create a "user name"- mine is my initials, and you're set to go.  If you add to another gravesite, just double-check the long sets of digits twice.  One error puts the information on the wrong grave...  For military veterans, you can also add their service information and/or biography.
Just be careful of YEAR DATES.  I've come across two where the bodies were returned after the war- WWII - and the person filling out the headstone dates put the wrong year.  In both cases, the Illinois govt employee put 1945 for the death date - and both of the men were killed at Normandy on 6 June, 1944! Since it is literally "engraved in stone" all one can do is ignore the error, and Yes, I had copies of the headstone cards saying 1944
Just remember that the unmarked veteran's graves deserve whatever one can do to remember them. 

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:46:48 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com