Author Topic: MAY we stop the quarantine and meet for Coffee and Tea?  (Read 34291 times)

Offline Marshal Halloway

• Editor & Webmaster of Cas City.
  • City Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Don't squat with your spurs on. Have fun shootin'.
    • Cas City
  • SASS #: R3411
  • NCOWS #: HL-179
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
Re: MAY we stop the quarantine and meet for Coffee and Tea?
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2020, 11:10:34 PM »
Interesting times for sure....

We have our hotspots in Kansas as well. KC and Wichita and surprisingly Ford County in the west.

I live in southeast Kansas and in my county we have 1 case confirmed. Since we live in a rural area (my town's population is around 600) life goes about kind of "normal".

Work wise, my last field trip was in the beginning of March. All upcoming field trips, location filming are cancelled and from a new content production standpoint we are pretty much at a complete stop. My team located in OK and CO are all working from home and have so far had enough to do related to post-production and prepping content for digital use. So we are all at work and productive. Lots of Zoom and Online Team meetings naturally which has become the new norm.

An interesting topic is how working from home can change the way businesses and corporation look at the need for office space in the future. I talked to an individual the other day owning a lot of properties on the east coast, renting out office space etc... He is worried about corporations downsizing their need for space allowing more people working from home post the corona pandemic. I guess this is a small potato compared to the many challenges building up the economy for all of us.

Editor & Webmaster of CAScity.com
Director - Digital Video Division - Outdoor Sportsman Group (OSG).
Digital Video Production & Post Production OSG
Owner of Down Range Media GP

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2020, 01:01:25 AM »
My biggest problem is not that they ain't sure about things, but telling us this is the way it is and changing it, tell, me you are unsure and I'll respect you, tell me this is the way it is and change and I don't.  Like the mask thing, no they don't work then don't go out with out it.

I got out today, wife and granddaughter ran some errands and wore their masks.  Riley and I rode and sat in the car. 

One I don't understand is I can ride the bus to somewhere if I want, then have to stand 10 feet apart in line to go in.  Saw the handy van for elderly people still running today, we quit riding it before our pass expired because it did not seem like a good idea to us. 

I can't buy bulk food which seems smart but I can buy Brussels Sprouts  anyone has pawed over, I ask why that's ok and they tell me just wash them.  With what, hand sanitizer?  No now why is just water ok on my Brussels Spouts but not ok with my hands?  And before this, hand sanitizer was not acceptable in food service, but now it is a miracle worker. 

To much shit ain't adding up, I'm not going to wear a tin foil hat like some, I'm putting it down as we hired some damn dumb people to protect us from this stuff, how can any ordinary person understand what is going on with all the different stories, damn I hate to think of all the shit they are feeding our governors and such right up to the top. 
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2020, 01:18:10 AM »
Oh and it's a good thing I am retired because if I was still trying to keep a convenience store running by myself on a shift, I would have either been fired or would called the bosses and told them they had 15 minutes to get somebody out there.  I had a reputation that 2 1/2 years for not putting up with BS.  Banned more than one and refused to serve them later.

Get the hell out of my store and don't come back, I can be an asshole, cold hearted to, offered to take bets one night to see if a guy I refused to sell beer to would make it back across the street with out being run over, he almost didn't, not my problem since I didn't sell to him.  Got very cold and heartless there, was the nicest guy you'd ever meet if you didn't try to screw with me. 
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 01:22:01 PM »

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2020, 02:48:03 AM »
My biggest problem is not that they ain't sure about things, but telling us this is the way it is and changing it, tell, me you are unsure and I'll respect you, tell me this is the way it is and change and I don't.  Like the mask thing, no they don't work then don't go out with out it.

I got out today, wife and granddaughter ran some errands and wore their masks.  Riley and I rode and sat in the car. 

One I don't understand is I can ride the bus to somewhere if I want, then have to stand 10 feet apart in line to go in.  Saw the handy van for elderly people still running today, we quit riding it before our pass expired because it did not seem like a good idea to us. 

I can't buy bulk food which seems smart but I can buy Brussels Sprouts  anyone has pawed over, I ask why that's ok and they tell me just wash them.  With what, hand sanitizer?  No now why is just water ok on my Brussels Spouts but not ok with my hands?  And before this, hand sanitizer was not acceptable in food service, but now it is a miracle worker. 

To much shit ain't adding up, I'm not going to wear a tin foil hat like some, I'm putting it down as we hired some damn dumb people to protect us from this stuff, how can any ordinary person understand what is going on with all the different stories, damn I hate to think of all the shit they are feeding our governors and such right up to the top.

My Dear Del

I can answer a couple of your puzzlements.
If you can stand a wall o' text.

Q1:  Like the mask thing, no they don't work then don't go out with out it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
former job, I was in on disaster planning and PR to the public.  One Grizzled Senior guy told me:
" People aren't the problem. People can be smart. Paniced MOBS are the problem"

I see the exact same thing going on here.

Panic caused the initial stock market problems.
Panic buying is making things messy.
paniced idiots are killing themselves with OMG STOOPID fake cures.

IF you knew where to go, good data was avaialable, but confusing to the general public.

It was not until Dr. Fauci was brought out to report facts, and stayed out of "he said she said" blame games,
that we were getting good intel from DC.

SO... what works?

1) masks work - mainly because we can't identify carriers yet.
2) testing works - but until we can test everyone and quarantine carriers, isolation works at slowing the spread,
        thus the "limited time isolation plans"
3) distancing works just by diffusion. The proof is how fast it spread on crowded cruise ships and the aircraft carrier.
      distancing + masks work better
      One cough in a shoulder to shoulder football crowd can infect 10-30 unmasked people
      One cough with folks spread 10 feet apart, not so much. With masks, probably no spread.
4) soap and water washing works
5) sanitizing works

regarding masks:  why the change in statement? there are 2 reasons
1) Many Officials were Trying to stop panic and reserve scarce resources for first responders ( didn't work)
2) There is a Lack of valid clinical trials PROVING effectiveness of various masks in various situations, so
      hardcore scientist still say "there is no hard proof"

#2 sounds stupid as hell, but some hard core science based MD's still hold onto that. Never mind that there are hundreds of
"really pretty good" studies, and manufacturors tests showing that 3M mask type blahblah N95 with an exhaust valve
can filter more than 95% of dust, bacteria, viruses, and particles down to "too damn tiny" .... That does not equate in the
hardcore rigorous scientific Medical MInd to a triple-whammy, double-blind, peer reviewed study across all four seasons
using 5 different kinds of test subjects with a test population greater than 1000 in each group and various population densities
and various social scenarios.
 No I am not kidding.

Never mind that empiracle evidence demonstrates 80-99 % effectiveness if proper masks are used properly all the time
("vetted" empiracle evidence  is valid enigineering methodollogy, btw).

Also never mind that most of APAC (  Japan, Australia, East Asia, South Asia, Southeast Asia, and Oceania) and India use
a variety of masks and the mask users have a lower incidence of covid than non mask users.

So, simple reality is, Masks Work. You STILL need eye protection.
The first proven functional mask was in the late 1890's  and was about 1 inch thick layers of tight woven sterile gauze.

for the general public, any mask is better than none.
The tighter the fit, the better the mask

Those molded dust masks you used in the shop or dusty fields or when spraying pesticides?
Those are N95 and work perfectly. They don't wear out, they only get dirty. And you can wash them gently by hand.

a bandanna kinda works.
if you tuck it into your shirt and layer filter material in between, it works MUCH better.
AND You STILL need eye protection.

A cloth mask is as good as an N85-N95 mask if you put a filter material in between the layers.and if it fits.
Best filter material is the "N95 rated" melt blown fabric ((not woven)
you can tear apart a pollen rated hepa-type furnace filter and cut it up into inserts, they work great. Same stuff.
several layers ( 3 or 4 or 5) of "unknown melt blown fabric" works ok.
But unknown "melt blown fabric" is the current scam and price gouging thing.

If you have or make a cloth mask, make it with a pocket to hold the filter. The filter will be good
for easily 30 days, or until it gets smelly or nasty. Our mouths aren't exactly clean.
Both the mask and the filter can be hand washed, separately , Soap and warm water, be gentle .

Soap and Warm Water kills all influenzas and all covids icluding covid-19
Thus Wash Your Hands
Veggy Wash will kill it - wash your produce with Veggy Wash under warm water.
(basically Veggy wash is a "safe to eat soapy stuff" and vinegar and stuff)

70% isopropyl kills all influenzas and all covdid icluding covid-19. put it in a sprayer bottle and mist the surface.
If you want you can spray 70% alcohol on your produce, but that won't get the dirt off lol.

Common Store Hyrogen Perioxide works.
Diluted Bleach works. but it's nasty on people.

You can disinfect your mask by misting it lightly inside and outside with 70% alcohol or Peroxide.I do it at the end of my outside day trip"

DO NOT use 90% isopropyl alcohol - the 30% water content is necessary to "lice the cells"
DO NOT use wood alcohol, denatured alcohol, or industrial alcohol. those and their fumes can be poisonous and kill your liver.

Lysol Spray doesn't work as well as soap and water and rinsing.
Liquid Lysol concentrate works, because ,well, it is a "soap"!

We know the above because Mrs Marvel is a Dr.
microbiologist, cancer researcher, biohazard trained to lev 4, taught pharmacology, worked under a famous (now dead) epidemiologist.
And I happen to be well educated in hazmat and hazmat equipment. (still have my old NBC gear, and dosimeters )

pm me if you have any q's

hope this helps
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2020, 04:37:16 AM »
I got more out of the professor's  "wall o' text", than a month of so called news media.

I have contempt for the "if it bleeds , it leads drama queens" they're just BS rolled up in an "visually acceptable" meat suit !

Investigating journalist ?  HA !  --- script reading hacks in suits or big boobs and a pretty face.
 And don't get me started on the written press with their own slants and agendas.

I haven't trusted network news since Walter Cronkite ....

My profession is non-existent in the current social distancing
 ... Trade Shows & Cooperate Conventions , came to a screeching halt.
I hope to return , I hope the industry returns , meanwhile

I heed the "stay the hell away" from congregations and potentialities.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2020, 07:32:42 AM »
You're right, Major 2.

There are no talking heads with the gravitas, the respect, like Cronkite, Murrow, Huntley or Brinkly.
How I long for someone of that calibre to emerge from the pack and lead. Return integrity and trust to the news services.

Both my wife and I have underlying health issues, but our greatest anxiety is for our one daughter and her little family that live in Chicago.

Professor, the mask I have been using is an N95 that has been my go to mask for sanding, etc. from my basement shop. It's a good 20 years old, and as you said, discolored with use and age. It gets gently soaked to clean now and then, but it still works. Early on, when the shortage of N95 masks was all in the news, I felt twangs of guilt being out in public wearing it.

There's a reason this pandemic is described in terms of being a war. It requires a total effort, complete sacrifice by all to see us through it. And like most wars, to quote the wise, people go into them thinking they're fighting to preserve their old way of life, but in actuality war changes everything and destroys the old way of things. This will happen in America and globally. Our economy is strong enough to recover, fortunately. Unfortunately there are many lost jobs that may not come back. But this chaos will open new possibilities. War always does. Seems every now and then mankind has to get shaken up, and adjust its priorities, and its outlook.

We all have to make adjustments. But I believe we have much to be thankful for, too.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2020, 07:41:49 AM »
Roo, any J-Frame speed loader will work on a Ruger SP-101, I used to have one and that's what I used with it.

It seems to be the same with holster and other things as well.

I for one have ended social distancing...if I get the Chinese Virus I get it. People need to get back to work. The flu tried to kill me 2 years ago and failed. I ain’t letting this one dictate my life.

I will be the one walking around some today sipping on a coffee from a drive thru window.  Instead of sharing a table with friends.
Good day
Mathew 5.9

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2020, 08:04:34 AM »
Morning y'all.
Coffee and tea are hot.

The local gas stations have been having a price war, also.

'Tis 55 and sunny. High of 73.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2020, 08:37:15 AM »
Slim - 1
Starling - 0

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2020, 09:00:53 AM »
Slim - 1
Starling - 0

Slim

Grill or windshield?

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2020, 09:07:06 AM »
Grill or windshield?

RCJ
Mossberg.
They like to build nests in the attic.  >:(

Slim

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2020, 10:26:08 AM »
Mossberg.
They like to build nests in the attic.  >:(

Slim

Ahhh! So it was a sniper attack. At least it didn't come down to hand-to-hand.

RCJ
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2020, 01:15:32 PM »
As I see it, this mess is made worse by people hugging both extremes like so many things from the beginning of time. I think this pretty well sums it up.

The Rules

1. Basically, you can't leave the house for any reason, but if you have to, then you can.

2. Masks are useless, but maybe you have to wear one, it can save you, it is useless, but maybe it is mandatory as well.

3. Stores are closed, except those that are open.

4. You should not go to hospitals unless you have to go there. Same applies to doctors, you should only go there in case of emergency, provided you are not too sick.

5. This virus is deadly but still not too scary, except that sometimes it actually leads to a global disaster.

6. Gloves won't help, but they can still help.

7. Everyone needs to stay HOME, but it's important to GO OUT.

8. There is no shortage of groceries in the supermarket, but there are many things missing when you go there in the evening, but not in the morning. Sometimes.

9. The virus has no effect on children except those it affects.

10. Animals are not affected, but there is still a cat that tested positive in Belgium in February when no one had been tested, plus a few tigers here and there…

11. You will have many symptoms when you are sick, but you can also get sick without symptoms, have symptoms without being sick, or be contagious without having symptoms. Oh, my..

12. In order not to get sick, you have to eat well and exercise, but eat whatever you have on hand and it's better not to go out, well, but no…

13. It's better to get some fresh air, but you get looked at very wrong when you get some fresh air, and most importantly, you don't go to parks or walk. But don’t sit down, except that you can do that now if you are old, but not for too long or if you are pregnant (but not too old).

14. You can't go to retirement homes, but you have to take care of the elderly and bring food and medication.

15. If you are sick, you can't go out, but you can go to the pharmacy.

16. You can get restaurant food delivered to the house, which may have been prepared by people who didn't wear masks or gloves. But you have to have your groceries decontaminated outside for 3 hours. Pizza too?

17. Every disturbing article or disturbing interview must start with " I don't want to trigger panic, but…"

18. You can't see your older mother or grandmother, but you can take a taxi and meet an older taxi driver.

19. You can walk around with a friend but not with your family if they don't live under the same roof.

20. You are safe if you maintain the appropriate social distance, but you can’t go out with friends or strangers at the safe social distance.

21. The virus remains active on different surfaces for two hours, no, four, no, six, no, we didn't say hours, maybe days? But it takes a damp environment. Oh no, not necessarily.

22. The virus stays in the air - well no, or yes, maybe, especially in a closed room, in one hour a sick person can infect ten, so if it falls, all our children were already infected at school before it was closed. But remember, if you stay at the recommended social distance, however in certain circumstances you should maintain a greater distance, which, studies show, the virus can travel further, maybe.

23. We count the number of deaths but we don't know how many people are infected as we have only tested so far those who were "almost dead" to find out if that's what they will die of

24. We have no treatment, except that there may be one that apparently is not dangerous unless you take too much (which is the case with all medications). Orange man bad.

25. We should stay locked up until the virus disappears, but it will only disappear if we achieve collective immunity, so when it circulates… but we must no longer be locked up for that?
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gathering of Freedom-Seed Spreaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2020, 03:37:06 PM »
Happy May all.

I’ve survived USAF tech school at Sheppard. I am currently sitting at DFW airport sipping on my first Guinness in 4 months and watching airplanes.  I’m flying to Billings today, then I’ll be doing a 2 week “self quarantine” in the mountains outside of Bozeman.  That’s about all from The Kid.  I did graduate as Top Grad, so that’s kind of nice. For what it’s worth.

Y’all keep safe from the ‘Rona.

—TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2020, 06:04:18 PM »
Slim....You usually have a season on them

Congratulations Col. TK aim high
Mathew 5.9

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2020, 07:11:39 PM »
Slim....You usually have a season on them
Spring, summer and fall.  >:(

Slim - 2
Starlings - 0

Congrats, TK.

Slim

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2020, 08:30:34 PM »
Congrats TK,. 
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2020, 11:38:36 PM »

There you have it " CRACKER JACK " diploma ....and that is one of the higher level degree's

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2020, 11:43:28 PM »
Way to go TK,  :)

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2020, 06:30:03 AM »
Morning coffee is brewing.

Rode with Suzanne yesterday as she is roto tiller shopping. There is none in Alabama. I called places in other counties as she drove. She did pick up a variety of potted herbs. 

The excursion did me in. 
Mathew 5.9

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com