Author Topic: Possible NWMP Uniform and Kit at 2020 … no, 2021 … no, 2022 National Muster  (Read 9796 times)

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 76
RSJ, your thread has indeed spanned years so it must be a good one. Just reread it and thought that I’d mention a development in my NS. A fellow cas club member graciously gave me 25 pieces of C45S [Cowboy special] brass to play with. My initial plan was to use them in my short Trapper 1894 but I just resized 6 and tried them in my RNWMP NS Colt and they fit perfectly. I’ll reload them today and try them but they should work just fine. Need 50 more. Photos soon.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Ed,

I have never tried the Cowboy Special case, even though all my cas guns are .45 Colt.  Might well have given it a try back at the very outset, when my rifle was a Trapper necessitating the dreaded “load one on the clock” …. But it didn’t exist yet back then!

Mind you, it is my understanding you can use shorter cartridges with the more “modern” lever-action designs which incorporate a “stop” at the action end of the magazine tube to control cartridge feed.  My present three cas rifles (repro ‘66, repro and original ‘73) lack that feature, so overall cartridge length is critical: if they are too short, the round on the lifter lets the next round protrude past the mouth of the magazine tube, stopping the lifter from rising … if too long, the bullet of the round on the lifter can protrude into the magazine tube and also prevent the lifter from rising.  In fact, I have learned that my .45 Colt cartridges, in addition to being within a narrow OAL range, must also have a firm factory crimp so bullets won’t get shifted back in their cases under magazine spring pressure, recoil jostling and such.
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 76
Guess I was lucky in buying it as my Stoeger 1873 that I used in my 1873 Centennial / Spanish contract carbine can run the shorter .45 Schofield [w/255 gr bullets] fine as the lifter will cam the next loaded round back into the magazine tube as it rises.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
RattlesnakeJack....thanks for the update!  Looking forward to the pics of you in the complete kit.

I need to go back and re-read this thread especially the part where you dyed the jacket.

GAF#379

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Smoke,

The first images I have posted about dyeing the jacket to a more suitable tone are the most recent ones.  At the time of my last "update" back in May I mentioned that I would be doing these further alterations and possibly dyeing the jacket if I got time before leaving for the Muster … but of course the border didn't open then, so I've had lots of time to finally get this done ...
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Advertisers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2021 CAScity.com