Author Topic: Shotguns for Vintage Hunting  (Read 152767 times)

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: Shotguns for Vintage Hunting
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2013, 05:15:05 PM »
Howdy
Well the 1100 isn't considered a vintage shotgun ,BUT a 90 year old Hunter is . Keep him in the field ,keep him HAPPY .

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2013, 11:20:54 PM »
Huskvarna double with ears and brass shells,horn buttplate and ivory front site,ain't shot it yet but that will change in 2014,i love my shootgun! ;D

Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2013, 08:25:55 PM »
GCR
That's a fine looking shotgun . Thanks for sharing the pictures with us .

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 09:32:30 AM »

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2013, 08:32:14 PM »
Has a greener lock up too.All i need to do is shoot it~Wolfgang helped me get that one. :)

Where do you live Rowdy,that's a fine lookin turkey too!I have yet to hang a lip over wild turkey! :( The closest i ever got was farm raised once,the breast on that thing was huge and we deep pitted it,boy was that good!
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2013, 11:36:59 AM »
GCR
I am a Kentuckian . The Wild Turkey is the best of eating . My wife likes Turkey and she will eat Deer as long as it's not a large Buck in Rut . The young does  or the button Bucks are excellent eating . Hope you get a chance to get a Turkey with your double barrel good luck and Happy Hunting .

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2013, 07:40:03 PM »
Has a greener lock up too.All i need to do is shoot it~Wolfgang helped me get that one. :)

Where do you live Rowdy,that's a fine lookin turkey too!I have yet to hang a lip over wild turkey! :( The closest i ever got was farm raised once,the breast on that thing was huge and we deep pitted it,boy was that good!

Rick; What model and age is your Husky? (Model number is on the water table and lump.)

http://www.skydevaaben.com/allhvamodels/info.xml
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2014, 04:07:54 PM »
Howdy

Offline Bull Skinner

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2014, 01:04:27 PM »
Hey Rowdy, pard, long time no see. You need to get up to the Lakewood Marshals this year. High Brass comes regularly. I haven't seen you since the NRA  Convention in St. Louis when I was workin' the SASS booth and you were workin' the NCOWS booth. That's been a few years ago.

I shoot an 87' with an improved cylinder choke tube, love it. Its my #1 CAS gun these days. I've never hunted or shot slugs through it, but it makes a great Trap gun.  With BP loads, of course!  ;D

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2014, 08:58:01 PM »
Bull Skinner
Good to hear from you . Hows ole High Brass doing , haven't talked to him in a while . Wow where does time go ? It's been a long time since we were at the NRA Convention . Do you still shoot at Cisne ? Do you ever shoot at the West Side in Evansville . Hope to bump into you at a shoot somewhere this year .

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2014, 05:08:50 PM »
Howdy
 Turkey season is around the corner . Have you patterned your shotgun ? Will you use BP or smokeless .

Offline Gabriel Law

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2014, 09:48:21 PM »

I had a successful hunt this fall.  I got my moose on day three of an 11 day hunt, and spent the rest of the time hunting ruffed grouse with my '97.  It took a while to understand that with a cylinder bore and 20" barrel, I had to practically stand on top of them to flush and still be within range.  Fine eating this winter.

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2014, 09:45:48 PM »
Gabriel Law
Excellent picture nice looking 97 . Looks like you got the hang of the short barrel . I was really wanting to use my 87 to Turkey hunt with BUT the short barrel with no choke might prove to be IMPOSSIBLE .  I need to figure out how to roll crimp a choke ?

Offline Gabriel Law

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2014, 11:08:11 PM »
Thanks Rowdy!  Since last fall, I have acquired an original '87 Winchester in 12 gauge, and I'm going to learn how to load for it, and shoot it with black powder.  Mine has a full length barrel with a nice choke, so it should reach out to those fast flyers a little better.
With the cylinder bored 20" barrel on the '97, I had to be inside of 20 yards, or I'd get a miss.  Sometimes I'd get a few feathers, but in October, they're so well armoured up with feathers that I lost quite a few birds before I got the hang of it.

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2014, 10:13:17 PM »
Gabriel
We want to see that 87 . What's the barrel length?

Offline Gabriel Law

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2014, 12:42:45 PM »
Rowdy, the barrel is 32" long.  Here's a few pics.  If there's something specific you'd like to see, that is not in these shots, I'm happy to oblige.

You will notice that the butt stock looks new - it is.  This shotgun was owned by a friend who had me re-stock the butt as the original, which I still have, was 'customized' at some point in its long life, by adding badly done chequering and some bone lozenge shaped inlays in the sides of the wrist.  Subsequently, the gun became available to me, and I bought it in a heart beat.  The bore is very very good, is choked, and the action slick and tight.  I'm not a collector, per se, at least for the sake of investment.  I intend to use this shotgun as that is what it was made for.  I'd be interested though, if anyone knows how to research these great old guys, when it might have been made, etc.
Incidentally, it chambers and cycles empty 2 1/2" brass shells without a hitch.  I've ordered 10 gauge over-shot wads, and have 11 gauge nitro and fibre wads on hand.  This is going to be fun.

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2014, 05:48:21 PM »
Gabriel
Thank you . That is what a 1887 should look like , a 32 inch barrel not a 20 inch barrel . That will make you an Excellent Turkey gun .
I bet it will pattern a nice pattern at 40 yards . Thanks again for posting the pictures . Excellent Turkey Gun .

Offline Gabriel Law

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2014, 06:03:03 PM »
I've got to travel about 600 miles to the south and east of here to hunt turkeys properly.  But it is not out of the question.  I've a friend who has given me an open invitation to hunt turkeys with him. 
I'll make up some loads and pattern the gun...we'll see how good it is, but I have confidence in the old girl.

Offline Bull Skinner

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2014, 06:28:44 PM »
Hey Rowdie, I made the 4th Saturday shoot in March at Evansville's West Side, but did not see ya. May make it for the 4th Saturday this month. Might see you there.

Ps. Tried to make the recent NCOWS Shoot,  but my runnin' mate Marshal Duncan wanted to do Benton instead. He was concerned about his gear qualifying, ie; Steel lined holsters. 

Offline jimbobborg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2014, 08:12:55 AM »
For those with 87s, what are you using for plugs?  I got my 87 used and the PO couldn't find the plug so I won't be able to use it for doves this fall without one.  If you're using a dowel, how long is it?

Offline Bull Skinner

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2014, 10:56:05 PM »
Hey Jim Bob,

Load up some dummy rounds, remove the spring and follower, insert the dummies and put it back together. You may have to remove a few coils off the spring. I loaded one dummy like this to beef up my drop 2 set up and it works great.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com