Author Topic: Trail Boss tips, anyone?  (Read 21901 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Trail Boss tips, anyone?
« on: March 11, 2017, 09:31:10 AM »
I picked up a 5 pound jug of Trail Boss for reloading my .45 Schofield.  I plan on loading 5.0 grains with a 200 grain bullet. Should be about 1.1 CC.   I am using a Lee four position turret press with auto index, and a a LEE Pro auto disk powder measure through a LEE charging die.  I have read that the airy little grey doughnuts don't measure well.  Besides giving the measure a slight tap between loading, any other tips?
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Trail Boss tips, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 10:41:35 AM »
I have been using Trial Boss for my CAS guns over the past 5 years, using the exact same equipment as you, and I never had to tap the powder measure after each drop.  It gets a little fluffy when pouring from one container to another and I use my open hand to block any flying donuts.

I used to use Trail Boss for 45-70 but changed that to IMR 4198.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 02:14:59 PM »
I tried a small container of TB for my .30-40 Krag and at about 10 grs i went through a Dillon hopper full during load development so fast that I loaded a few cases with NO powder which I caught when I tried them out on my backyard range. Never had that happen before. When they say TB is light and bulky they ain't kidding. My tip to you would be to keep a close eye on your measure reservoir. I've since started using V-V Tin Star for my light Krag loads with good results and while it resembles TB it is a whole lot denser and acts like normal powder, not a bulky one.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:52:27 AM »

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 04:51:23 PM »
When I started using TB in my Dillon 550B there were many semi squibs with the bullet (200 grain laser cast) usually clearing the barrel some time not.
I tested by running 10 rounds and pulling them before seating the bullet and found a great variation in powder charge weight.
Solution...pull the handle down, count one Mississippi, two Mississippi while reaching for the next case then continue. that fluffy powder takes a while to fall and problem solved.
Yes it does slow down the loading process, but a squib stops the shooting process, simply find the right tempo to load.
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 06:11:42 PM »
I always drop Trail Boss from a measure into a dipper, so I can see the load before I pour it into the funnel on my Powder Thru Die. (Lee 4 hole turret press)  Got a Lee Perfect drum measure set up next to the press.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Online pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 07:01:24 PM »
I use a single stage press, so all my charging is done with a Lyman 55 and a loading block. Check weigh about one in every 10 or 15. then visually check them in the loading block before doing bullet seating. It helps to "tap" the handle an extra time in the down position to make sure all the powder clears the measure. I've noticed that without a baffle in the hopper, the charge weights will vary a little as the powder level goes down, so I keep the can of powder handy and top it off after about 25 or so rounds. One nice thing about TB, you can visually check powder levels even in 30-40 or 30-06 cases, when using Unique or other "normal" pistol/shotgun powders, it's hard to see the powder, I always use a pencil (marked for proper powder level) to check each case.

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 08:51:22 AM »
Another thing about TB is, unlike most other pistol powders, you cannot overcharge a case period. As I recall, since I am not at my
bench ,the way to find the correct charge is to fill a case and take some percent of that weight.
Now when using real Gun Powder I just fill the case bout 1/16" above the bullet base the seat the bullet and crimp that rascal down
 Back in the day I burned up a lot of smokeless back as far as Hercules HiVel 2 and when I am lazy about cleaning use TB in my .45-70 1886 rifle rather than FFg a proper powder for that cartridge.
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 12:18:24 PM »
I only use Trail Boss in my Hornady Black Powder measure, where it works very well and consistent results are no problem.  If I had to use it in a measure with a steel charge bar or drum, I'd take the precausion of grounding the measure to prevent the static charges that are one of the biggest problems with Trail Boss and getting consistent charges.

I've learned that letting any powder sit in a measure for more than a few minutes between sessions is an invitation to problems.  This has been particularly true with Trail Boss in my experience.

And, of course, cleaning the powder measure occasionally has paid dividends in terms of consistent results and absence of powder bridging.

I like Trail Boss.  It seems that using a black powder measure has prevented problems.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2017, 03:40:41 PM »
Well, I started cranking them out.  My best results were using ta single disk, using the 1.18 CC chamber.  Out of 20 throws, no more than 0.1 grain deviation:  between 4.9+ and 5 grains every time.  I randomly check every 15 or 20 rounds now, and always the same.  Now I need to see how I like the load, compared to 7.1 grns of Unique.  I hope I like it a lot, since all I could find to buy was a 5 pound jug! LOL ;D
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 12:55:56 AM »
Well, I started cranking them out.  My best results were using ta single disk, using the 1.18 CC chamber.  Out of 20 throws, no more than 0.1 grain deviation:  between 4.9+ and 5 grains every time.  I randomly check every 15 or 20 rounds now, and always the same. 

Excellent drops!
Now I need to see how I like the load, compared to 7.1 grns of Unique.  I hope I like it a lot, since all I could find to buy was a 5 pound jug! LOL ;D

Well you better like iit , cuz you're not leaving the table until that whole jug is gone.....

yhs
prof (channelling mom) marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 07:59:41 AM »
I run trail boss through my Dillon and always get proper weight charges. The trick is though to use the large powder bar rather than the one you would normally use for that small weight charge. That way you have a narrow column for the powder to fall through.

I first had all kinds of trouble when I tried using the small charge bar opened up. The fluffy donuts would bridge and fall after the ram was down making all kinds of mess.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 11:00:55 PM »
I have heard that it is impossible to overload Trail Boss in a pistol cartridge, unless you compress the load.  Folks are saying that 5 grains should be max for the 45 Schofield with a 200 grain bullet.  It seems like a light load to me.  Any input?
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2017, 10:01:32 AM »
Just an observation.  Trail Boss does not play particularly well with Petroleum Based Lubes.  Tends to get a bit gummy.  Personally, I have never particularly cared for Trail Boss.

Coffinmaker

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2017, 08:37:16 PM »
My recollection , dim as it might be, seems that you fill a case to the position of the base of the bullet than take some %age of that for a max load. I will check on this in in the IMR manual tomorrow and post it here. I  shot a pretty good amount of it until I went to the Dark Side and had no problems with it. A few squibs until I figured out how to run it through my 550B but that was all on me, not the powder or press.
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2017, 09:30:11 PM »
OK, 44 Special and 45 Schofield cases are almost identical capacity, BUT Hodgdon list 44 Special with a 200 grain bullet max load with trail boss is 6.3 grains for 885 fps and 5.0 grains for Schofield with a 200 grain bullet with 780 fps.   I am looking for the 850+ fps from the Schofield.  I get it easily with 7.1 grains of Unique.  I just bought 5 pounds of Trail Boss and don't want to shot mouse f@rt loads....

EDIT:  I just checked and a 45 Schofield actually has about 5% MORE capacity than the 44 Special.  I have always been told that when there is no loading data for a 45 Schofield with  bullet weight, use 44 Special load data.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2017, 02:08:58 PM »
Ugh, the 5 grains of Trail Boss was a no go for me.  After shooting Triple 7 and Unique, the Trail Boss was MOUSE FART loads!  I went back to 7.1 grains Unique.  Now I have to peddle the 5 pounds of Trail boss somewhere!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2017, 10:05:15 AM »
According to the IMR web site to determine data on a cartridge simply mark the place where the bullet base will be in the loaded cartridge and fill with Trail Boss to that point. According to the site that is maximum(!!!) load. Woowzy I would say so!
70% of the weight is your starting load. Seems a bit much to me.

http://imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

Is the site where I found this, but I would check a good manual first.
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2017, 01:02:37 PM »
I've loaded thousands upon thousands of TB in 38-40, 45 Cowboy Special, 45LC and 38SPL......Never had a squib. Never any issues what so ever. Amazingly clean powder in these cases.

I'm using Lee 1000 progressive loaders for all four cartridges.

Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2017, 03:09:10 PM »
According to the IMR web site to determine data on a cartridge simply mark the place where the bullet base will be in the loaded cartridge and fill with Trail Boss to that point. According to the site that is maximum(!!!) load. Woowzy I would say so!
70% of the weight is your starting load. Seems a bit much to me.

http://imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

Is the site where I found this, but I would check a good manual first.
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

That makes more sense than 5 grain mouse farts.  probably about 7 grains, I am guessing.  I will have to try it and see.  Thanks!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2017, 12:49:23 PM »
well, using the "maximum load method" Hodgdon has on their web page, I come up with 8 grns of Trail Boss in a .45 Schofield Case with a 200 grain bullet.  Even considering how wimpy, 5 grains was, the 8 grains seems about a bit stiff.  They do say it is impossible to overload a revolver using their method. With that method, 5.6 grains would be a starting load. 

I guess I'll try 6 grains and 7 grains, and see what I get, and try them from the Henry and 1872s to see how the measure up to the 7.1 grains of Unique of my pet load.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com