Author Topic: Another 1875 Remington for me  (Read 3265 times)

Offline Pay Dirt Norvelle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Another 1875 Remington for me
« on: October 02, 2019, 10:32:18 PM »
I happened to use a 1875 Remington and a 1873 Colt for CAS.  I have been looking for another 1875 so I can have a matched pair.  I happened to wander in to a LGS today just to look around-Right  ;D  Anyway I happened to ask the guy at the counter if they could order a 1875 for me.  To make a long story short I have a Uberti 1875 repro on the way.  Then I can have a decent looking pair of revolvers.
PAY DIRT NORVELLE
SASS #90056
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
COYOTE VALLEY COWBOYS #37
RATS #650

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Another 1875 Remington for me
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 02:45:22 AM »
Congratulations!
  Remingtons are fine weapons and set up with coil springs, they're every bit as bullet proof as  a Ruger!! The "ace in the hole" is that they are lighter than a Ruger!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 08:47:55 AM »
Congratulations! The 1875 Remington is my favorite six shooter of the 19th century. I hope yours treats you well!

45 Dragoon, if you don't mind me asking, how would one set their Uberti 1875 up with coil springs?
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:14:13 PM »

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 09:04:12 AM »
Congrats. Those sure seem to be made to point properly. Coil springs? I hadn't thought about that before. I'm interested, too. Sounds like a great thing to do.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 09:38:16 AM »
These 2 have been my main match guns for near 2 lustrums now.
King Medallion

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 12:59:02 PM »
Jake C , Marshal W.W.,
  Thanks for asking! Over the years I have developed coil spring actions for Colt pattern revolvers as well as the Remington pattern. The Remington action is the biggest advancement since 1890!! As far as I know, I'm the first to ever coil spring a Remington action!  The trigger, bolt and hand are powered by torsion springs. The mainspring remains a flat (but tuned!) spring. The resulting piece is one of the toughest revolvers in existence (they'll show a Ruger "how it's done!"!!)!! The frame is narrow and compact, and with a bolt block and action stop installed, you can't break them .  .  .  as hard as you try!!! Skinny (of "Chronicle" fame !!)  has the first pair of "competition" Remies (for about a year and a half)  and has had zero problems, zero opening of the action (as prescribed!! )!! Very proud of this setup and the results so far!! (Some of this technology has found its way into the Colt pocket revolvers!!)
  The resulting revolver is extremely durable and much lighter than a Ruger!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 01:45:26 PM »
That sounds great. I have modified mainsprings to work better but other than making piano wire trigger springs, nothing else. The mainspring screw is one of the best things about the Remington design (As I recall, they still had those on the Models 1875 and 1890). You can dial the tension in perfectly with that little screw. The torsion spring idea sounds like a good one. Those little hand springs like to snap off and I've replaced them but only with piano wire. Nothing like you have done.

You ever short stroke one of them? I found the long hammer pull to be less than perfect.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com