Author Topic: Hallowed Ground  (Read 4808 times)

Offline Wes Virginian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hallowed Ground
« on: October 10, 2005, 04:39:05 PM »
A few weeks ago, I put on my Civil War Artillery Uniform and walked BAREFOOT over the same ground one of my gg-grandpappy's fought on. I had forgot my brogans and sure wasn't gonna wear tennis shoes! It felt better anyway. So here's a salute to Pvt. Thomas R. Thomas of the 1st West Virginia Light Artillery that fought in the 1st battle of Kernstown in March of 1862!

Proudly,
Wes Virginian
Texican Rangers, Co. A, Kanawha Valley Regulators, NRA Life-Endowment, SASS Life 40471, NCOWS 2037, GAF, USN '60/'63.

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Hallowed Ground
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 04:45:17 PM »
Here's to Thomas R. Thomas and the 6 Gimbert's (2 Federal & 4 Confederates) that fought for what they believed in....
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline Sergeant Smokepole

• Dark Lord of The Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 05:48:22 PM »
Here's to all Brave Soldiers everywhere, regardless of the Flag that they have fought under.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:59:44 AM »

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 06:38:26 PM »
Here's to Pvt William Johnson, 5th Virginia Inf., Stonewall Brigade, who lost a eye on Henry House Hill, Manassas Junction, Virginia.  And to Sgt. Moses and  Pvt. Granville Vanderpool, father and son, who served with the 35th Missouri (U.S.) ...  Americans all.  "... with malice toward none".
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 11:12:08 AM »
Sirs, Staff & Etc.,
It is with great Pride that this Office follows the afore-mentioned posting with the listing of Brothers and Etc., from our Family involved in the same Conflict:
Mr. Jans Strand wore the Union Blue and was with Gen. Sherman on his March to the Sea.
Mr. Sam Strand sailed on a Confederate Privateer and was called a 'Pirate' by the Family after he was Lost at Sea.
Mr. Ole Strand was offered a 'Suitcase Commission', he was paid to take another persons name and enlistment papers and served Valiantly with the Union Forces from Michigan and later Iowa as the Family story goes.
Mr. Wallace from Mother's side served for the Union.
Mr. Newman, also from her side, served in the Union Navy as far as her Family records indicate, he followed in his Father's footsteps who had Sailed and Served with John Paul Jones in earlier Conflicts.
It is with Great Pride, Honor and Admiration this Office Salutes all who have Served at any time and anywhere.
I remain, Etc.,
'Ol Gabe,
Bvt. Capt.,
Adjt.,
Dept. of the Missouri,
GAF
c/o Dunbar Station, Iowa Territory

P.S. Gabriel Strand, 'Ol Gabe's personnae, arrived and settled in Iowa Territory from Norway in 1869. His Brothers listed above had sailed over in the mid-1850's and set up farming in and around LeGrand, Iowa, just north of the railhead at Dunbar Station. The Family is proud of all those that have served in all Branches of the Armed Forces of the USA.

Offline Pvt Hoover

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 01:10:25 PM »
Sirs,
   Pvt. James Hoover served the Union side in the state of Missouri as a state militia cavalry trooper.  He later homesteaded in Kansas and my great grandmother was born on the wagon ride over from Iowa.
   Five family members of the Barnt family from Pennsylvania served with the 142nd Pa infantry with the Army of Potomac and several of them were present at Appamatox. 

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 01:57:46 PM »
Martin V. Brooks, Pvt., 1st WI Cav. Vol., Co. M, 14 Nov 1863 - 19 Jul 1865, Western and Eastern Theater, with Sherman on his march to the Sea.
Sylvester Willis (brother-in-law to Martin Brooks), Pvt., 1st WI Cav. Vol., Co. M, 5 Nov 1863 - 19 Jul 1865, ditto.
Adonijah Benedict, Pvt., 21st WI Inf., Co. A, 15 Aug 1862 - 17 Jun 1865, Pris. Chaplin Hills; trans. to V. R. C., Mar. 15, '64; disability.
William A. Porter, Sgt., 6th MI Inf. (Heavy Art'y.) Vol., Co. E, 1862 - 20 Apr 1864, died in a train accident at Minn. Jnct., WI, as he was returning to the regiment after his Veteran Furlough.
George Lindsley, Sgt., 32nd WI Inf. Vol., Co. A, 14 Aug 1862 - 12 Jun 1865, with Sherman on his march to the Sea.
Lawrence Barclay, Pvt., 49th WI Inf. Vol., Co. D, 15 Feb 1865 - 1 Nov 1865
Amos and Ezra Dakins, Pvts., 37th WI Inf. Vol., Co. B, 28 Mar 1864 - 7 Jul 1865
Van Ness R. Frisbie, Pvt., 30th WI Inf. Vol., Co. K, 24 Oct 1863 - 20 Sep 1865

NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com