Author Topic: general questions regarding variations in reloading  (Read 1124 times)

Offline powderhombre

• Very Active Citizen
    • Black Powder Cartridge Rifle Reload Target Recorder
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
general questions regarding variations in reloading
« on: August 12, 2020, 10:11:58 PM »
To the point, question is generally speaking; reloading manuals give specific recipes for a given caliber. they include specific bullet designs and weights and overall length of cartridge. Assuming that some reloaders do not possess the specific bullet design, but do have a bullet that falls within the weight and overall length. How does one know if it is safe to substitute a bullet? Example: I have a .44 magnum cast lead semi wadcutter (Miester) 240 grain when loaded is 1.610. The lyman load data calls for a 240 gn Jacketed HC OAL 1.610. min. 10.3 grns Unique. OR a 240 gn. Cast linotype RNFP OAL 1.645 min. 10.0 gns Unique. As you can see the jacketed bullet falls closer to my AOL,  but the Cast bullet is longer and there is a 3/10 of a grain difference in minimum powder weight. Is there a general rule as which load to use? I've always been confused by bullet designs as there are so many. I have more questions but I'll start with this one. thanks.

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4667
Re: general questions regarding variations in reloading
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 09:43:28 AM »
Please don't use the same data for cast bullets as jacketed. There are different friction co-efficients involved that can affect the pressures of your loads. I had a guy from Hornady many years ago tell me you can use loads for same weight cast bullets from different makers or mould companies.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline powderhombre

• Very Active Citizen
    • Black Powder Cartridge Rifle Reload Target Recorder
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 10:16:04 AM »
Thank you. I had a feeling the jacketed and cast bullets were not interchangeable. I also imagine the bullet dimension from the crimp groove to the base of the bullet is more critical than the dimension from the crimp groove to the point of the bullet as long as there is no feeding or chambering issues. It's too bad the these bullet dimensions are not clearly made available when a bullet is recommended.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:53:43 AM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 10:22:59 AM »

:)  powderhombre   ;)

As Deacon mentioned > DO NOT mix load data between Cast Lead and Jacketed Bullets.  When shopping bullets for reloading, don't get too wrapped around the axel of Combined Overall Length.  The only requirement is whether the cartridge fits the specific chamber.  Although, the depth to which the bullet seats into the cartridge WILL change the pressure curve.  Exercise care there.

Loading BP and Subs is an entirely different bowl of soup though.   ::)

Hide and Watch

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 09:30:38 PM »
For many years, reloaders substituted similar bullets when following loading details in manuals.  In fact, many/most manuals listed bullets in general terms, like "200 grain lead", then gave powder charges.  Other details like brand of brass or primers was not listed.  As companies got more sophisticated pressure-testing equipment, they discovered that those kind of details mattered.  As mentioned, the overall length is less of an issue than the depth that the bullet seats into the case and the amount of surface area that makes contact with the barrel (creating friction/resistance).  Of course bullet weight is also a major factor.

Still, and take this for what it's worth, I would feel comfortable substituting very similar bullets like the two cast lead bullets that you mentioned.  OF COURSE, you will want to start with lower powder charges and gradually work up, following the safe loading procedures described in your Lyman manual.  You might not want to approach maximum loads too closely with those substitutions either.  As mentioned, jacketed bullets and lead bullets do not compare and cannot be easily substituted.  You also cannot generally substitute powder types and should follow load data from reliable sources.

On that last topic, answers that you get from the internet are often not to be considered "reliable sources".  As far as you know, I'm just a 10 year old kid making this stuff up or a foreign agent with a nefarious plan to destroy America by giving bad handloading advice.  Again, take what I've said for what it is worth and study your manual, and not just load data--carefully read the loading procedures that are included.  Use caution and enjoy yourself.  I find loading ammunition to be nearly as enjoyable as unloading ammunition. Nearly.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2020, 08:58:14 AM »

:)  owderhome   ;)

Atz why I have embraced the simple life down the DEEP DARK rabbit hole of The DARK SIDE.  With BP just fill the case till you get a tad of compression and go.  Any Bullet.  Doesn't matter.  Same same recipe.

It is only slightly more complicated with Substitutes.  Just fill the case to the bottom of the bullet.  Any bullet.  And go.

If you wish to reduce recoil with either, it's also very simple.  Just make up the missing propellant with Breakfast Food.  Yep.  Breakfast Food.  My favored filler is Cream-0-Wheat.  Works a treat. 

Oh, almost forgot.  My most favored Sub is APP.  Marvelous stuff.  Easy to clean after.  2f for Shotgun and 3f for everything else.  Really simple.  don't even have to be careful which powder is on the bench  cause you can flip flop with 3f inna shotgun and 2f in everything else.  It's like . . . well . . . really simple.

Hide and Watch

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 416
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2020, 09:10:18 AM »
:)  owderhome   ;)

..." If you wish to reduce recoil with either, it's also very simple.  Just make up the missing propellant with Breakfast Food.  Yep.  Breakfast Food.  My favored filler is Cream-0-Wheat.  Works a treat.  "

Hide and Watch

+ 1 to Coffenmaker... I:E Breakfast Food

I prefer the Cocoa  line    Cocoa puffs = for 44 cal.  and Cocoa roos for 36 cal. ,  seriously  and they are a handy range snack  :)

Oh ! and cocoa Cheerios  if you want Hollow points  ;)
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2020, 10:56:36 AM »
Stay away from waffles with syrup as a filler. I haven't tried it myself, but I understand that it complicates cleanup. I was considering croissants, but I don't know...
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2020, 02:21:24 PM »
grits for me

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2020, 05:39:55 AM »
I don't know CCG, but a couple of waffels,butter, syrup, and a couple of slices of bacon medium rare sort of fill me up.
Bunk

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com