Author Topic: Hey, Pony Racer!  (Read 1944 times)

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Charles Isaac

• Grand Army of the Frontier
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Hey, Pony Racer!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 12:25:52 PM »

I wouldn't think you'd pay a dime over $550 for that-but I have been wrong before!  :D

A few years ago, there was a nice one going for cheap on Gun Broker that someone put up here so Pony Racer could get it. I didn't bid so he could get it-but it went to someone else for a little over $400!  Haven't seen a deal like that since!

Then there was this beautiful Gras with an excellent bore! It really blew my mind when no one here bought it! Sacre Bleu!!!

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/12998576

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 01:53:21 PM »
That seems high to me, but then I haven't been shopping for one lately. It's got a bayonet with it, but no scabbard. Harder to bind a scabbard without a bayo than the other way around. Allowing $75-80 for a bayonet with no scabbard, that's still over $700....

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:45:10 PM »

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 04:07:06 PM »
Ever since the French Government legalized the Lebel for civilian ownership, prices of Mle 1886s have roughly tripled!  Lots of them headed back to France.

Offline Charles Isaac

• Grand Army of the Frontier
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 08:10:56 PM »

Ever since the French Government legalized the Lebel for civilian ownership, prices of Mle 1886s have roughly tripled!  Lots of them headed back to France

Well that's great! That the French had some gun laws relaxed, not that they're buying up all the Lebels. This is the first I've heard of it.

Cabelas wanted $800 for a $250 bubba'd up Krag last time I looked. With that kind of pricing, I guess they could have put $2000 on that Lebel. Maybe someone better grab the Lebel before the clerks figure it out and jack the price up!  :D

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 08:28:53 PM »
I've bought a number of guns thru Cabelas, all mine were tracking the market in price.  HOWSUMEVER.  There's always ones on the shelf with stupid pricing.  I asked about a Sporterized Krag one time in the Hazelwood St Louis store, that had a stupid price on it.  Library manager winced and said "Consignment gun.  Guy won't listen."

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 09:03:20 PM »
I'll have to admit I wince every time I see someone advertise a gun saying he's had it evaluated by a Cabelas "expert".  It usually means he wants about a third to half too much.  If I want to see what something's worth, I check what they're actually selling for on places like Gunbroker (not necessarily what they're asking, actual bids.)
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 10:49:49 PM »
Gunbroker doesn't make it easy to determine real selling prices. You can search "completed auctions" But you still have to go through and look at each one to see if it actually sold, or if it's one that keeps getting re-listed with crazy opening bids or reserves.

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 11:12:28 PM »
Definitely. You can usually get a pretty good idea if you go to multiple auction sites, and are willing to do the research.  Of course, there are always the ones that inexplicably sell too high or too low.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com