Author Topic: Fitting 45ACP into Uberti Cattleman need help please.  (Read 16729 times)

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
Re: Fitting 45ACP into Uberti Cattleman need help please.
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2019, 02:44:46 AM »
Delayed Range report - the cylinder functions as it should, the little steel pie plates fell with satisfactory regularity.

Ah My Good Adam

No spitting of lead?
No cranky cases cases not coming out?
no excessive barrel cylinder gap causing ouchies?

inquiring minds are a terrible thing to waste!

prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Online Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2019, 04:51:29 PM »

Well ... HI Perfesser   ;D

I'm not Adam G (No!  Really I'm not .. Honest) but I thought I'd share ........  I installed many 45 ACP cylinders in Single Actions.  It is a fairly straight forward and simple change.  Mostly Uberti SAs but I also did the change to several USFA guns, including a pair of my own.  The most popular guns for the change were Cimarron Thunderer with 3 1/2 inch barrels and USFA guns of the same barrel length. 

In no case did I encounter lead spitting.  No cranky cases and when the fitting is done correctly, no excessive barrel/cylinder gap.  Not only was the benefit of being able to use 45 ACP cases (a gazillion of those exist) but the chamber was absolutely perfect for the Cowboy 45 Special cases.  Eliminating the "jump" from case mouth to cylinder throat.  A bit of a caveat .... I have not encountered ANY accuracy problems in ANY .45 Colt chambered guns when stoked with C45S.  So .... in my feeble mind, the addition of a 45 ACP chambered cylinder was strictly a win win change.

Offline Professor Marvel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2019, 05:29:38 PM »
Ah My Dear Coffin

I agree with you entirely! I have been collecting trash bits and pieces for more than several Lustrum now  ( Lusti? Lustium?)
and have been playing swapsie with gay abandon.

Since the introduction of CNC and the result of true interchangeable partsy bits, it has been a dream.
Older stuff prior to that... more of a nightmare.

I had hoped Adam might re-appear.

Oh, yeah I will have to order out some .45 Cowboy brass before it's gone.

yhs
prof bits and pieces
Your Humble Servant

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 09:34:51 AM »

Online Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2019, 08:32:13 PM »
Ah Yes my Grande Perfesser .......

The availability of the Cowboy 45 Special case is a boone to Mankind.  Er .. Personkind.  Er .. Shootingkind.  Um .. Well .. everybody whom pursues nice light manageable loads for revolvers (Or certain rifles) chambered for 45 Colt.

Starline, always the manufacturer, wisely chose to take distributing and marketing into their own hands when the last entrepreneur failed at establishing a successful enterprise.  The Creator of the cartridge found the marketing end to be somewhat stressful.  Ergo, several subsequent marketing entities attempted to fill the Void unsuccessfully.  It would appear this fine little niche cartridge finally has a secure future (I would hope).  Bourne as it twer to fill a small niche in primarily the CAS shooting world the C45S is really quite useful.  Originally described by the Creator as a "Curious Little Cartridge."  It's a whole lot more than a "Curious Little Cartridge."

Offline Professor Marvel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2019, 01:34:17 AM »
Ah Yes my Grande Perfesser .......

The availability of the Cowboy 45 Special case is a boone to Mankind.  Er .. Personkind.  Er .. Shootingkind.  Um .. Well .. everybody whom pursues nice light manageable loads for revolvers (Or certain rifles) chambered for 45 Colt.

Starline, always the manufacturer, wisely chose to take distributing and marketing into their own hands when the last entrepreneur failed at establishing a successful enterprise.  The Creator of the cartridge found the marketing end to be somewhat stressful.  Ergo, several subsequent marketing entities attempted to fill the Void unsuccessfully.  It would appear this fine little niche cartridge finally has a secure future (I would hope).  Bourne as it twer to fill a small niche in primarily the CAS shooting world the C45S is really quite useful.  Originally described by the Creator as a "Curious Little Cartridge."  It's a whole lot more than a "Curious Little Cartridge."

If the "bullet jump" in a .45 Colt cylinder does not affect accuracy, I will be all over .45 Cowboy Special for smokeless loads!
I am not concerned about "light loads", rather It will allow me to safely run smokeless Unique powder in the 7-9 grain range
for my conversions  without worries of the dreaded "oopsy" double charge.

It also replicates the old .45 Webley cartridges almost perfectly.

yhs
Prof Marvel
Your Humble Servant

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com